Intro

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Intro

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Welcome to Crimson's Corner, and I must say I'm not even sure what it is I am welcoming you to at the moment. With some encouraging from Garry, the man running the show at Bleachercoaches, he has given me my own little board to play with on a trial basis. I am not really sure how this is going to go, but we'll see what happens.

Well here is a little introduction of sorts of what this idea actually is, and what I will be doing with Crimson's Corner. As you may know, my name is Jim Hammett or on here - Crimson's Ghost. I am not a professional writer or an expert on sports, far from it actually. I'm just a guy that likes sports and kind of likes to write. I have blended those two passions into a bit of a hobby or something to do in my free time, and actually it has been a pretty cool ride just for a hobby.

I started from humble beginnings as a Blogger or amateur writer with my own personal site, FloodSportsBlog.blogspot.com. It was fun, and again, just a hobby, but it led way to some new opportunities. The SB Nation site, Cardiachill.com, found me somewhere along the line and brought me on as a contributor. Cardiac Hill has been a terrific experience and has allowed me to cover my favorite team, the Pitt Panthers, up close and personal. I have been able to cover games from the press box at Heinz Field, basketball games from the Petersen Events Center, and also attend training camp at the UMPC practice facility. I have met some great connections, and I still contribute over there frequently.

While at the same time as the Cardiac Hill stint has been going on, I helped found,develop, and maintain the popular D6 Sports Network. It was a great concept and the work I did there are things I am still very proud of everyday. It was a chance to give more exposure and attention to the local high school athletics scene, an area which sometimes is forgotten about being nestled in between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg. Our goal there was to try to provide something a little different maybe the local newspapers or news stations could not. My fellow D6SN partners and I traveled all across the region for two years to stream games live over the internet every Friday night. Perhaps something we may get into again.

So just with this little hobby I started up a few years ago, I have been able to see Jim Boeheim drop an F bomb in a press conference, get sent to California to attend a Stanford football game and report on it, and attend dozens of high school football games across the region I normally would not have seen. It's been cool. But Look, I don't take myself too seriously, and anyone that does this kind of thing really shouldn't. If you like to put your work out there, and people read it and like it - that's good enough.

Now having said all that with the background story, the Crimson's Corner is essentially taking the spot of any work I would do for the D6 Sports Network. I typically put out previews and recaps, and all kinds of things covering the District 5/6 football scene. I may throw some Pitt/Penn State stuff in here at times, and overall I'm a pretty big fan of almost any sport, so basically anything might pop up here from time to time.

We'll see how this goes, thanks for checking in here at CC.

Jim
Bedrock
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Intro

Post by Bedrock »

I have to question your taste in college teams, but have always thought your responses were reasonable. I appreciate your insight! I look forward to reading.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Actually excited and looking forward to this
SFB14
Senior
Senior

Post by SFB14 »

I'm looking forward to this Crimson because I've always thought your posts were well reasoned (except your broad generalizations of all PSU fans, especially on Twitter but I'm chalking that up to your allegiance to Pitt) and I really liked the work you did on the D6SN site. I like to read different perspectives on sports topics and you've done a good job in the past of providing a reasoned look at many different topics. Even though we do not agree on our choice of favorite college teams, I do like to read what you think of the Pitt program (I've never really hated Pitt even though I'm a PSU alum and since they have many western PA kids it's nice to know what is up with them) because you are usually very fair in your analysis both good and bad. I'm sure you will continue to offer good content whether it be Pitt, the Pirates, District 6 athletics, or other topics which you seem to like to write about. Best of luck with the new endeavor.