Pirates "could" get creative without Harrison

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Pirates "could" get creative without Harrison

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Josh Harrison is a utility man extraordinaire for the Pittsburgh Pirates. He is a spark plug that can realistically play six positions comfortably, and he can do so at a moment's notice. Harrison is not a great baseball player, but he is a great asset to have on a baseball team. Harrison's value is going to be appreciated over these next six weeks one way or another, as he will be out recovering with a thumb injury. So where do the Pirates go from here?

Conventional wisdom says Jung Ho Kang will get the bulk of the work at third base. Kang has had some moments in his rookie season, but is going through a rough patch including a month of June that saw hit bat just .221. Kang has more power than Harrison and he is slightly better of a fielder, but Harrison is still a better and more reliable player on an everyday basis. You also have to consider, the Pirates regularly start three guys with sub .250 batting averages in Jordy Mercer, Gregory Polanco, and Pedro Alvarez. So now to throw in a slumping Kang into the mix, you are making an average offense, well...even more average.

Another option is to get Sean Rodriguez more at bats. Like Harrison, Rodriguez can play a handful positions and seems to swing a decent bat, but he has been in a little bit of a slump at this point. He does have a lot of value of being the late inning replacement for Alvarez at first, but with Ishikawa in the mix now, perhaps Rodriguez can be better served to play a little bit of everywhere.

The Pirates have some holes on the bench, and being able to trade for a stop gap third basemen in Harrison absence would be ideal, but what is the market for that right now? The Pirates have other areas they could emphasize at the trade deadline, sticking this out with internal options may be the better option.

The veterans in the minors right now aren't exactly exciting. Brent Morel hit .179 last year in a 23 game stint with Bucs. Pedro Floriman hit .079 in his time with the Minnesota Twins last season. So yeah, nothing there. But what about the prospects? And yes, that is where my plan gets interesting, and far-fetched.

Alen Hanson is a top 100 prospect. Alen Hanson is the third-rated second base prospect in all of baseball. Alen Hanson is considerably more athletic and has more range than current second basemen, Neil Walker. Alen Hanson is hitting .316 over his last ten games, with a .290 average overall. Alen Hanson is slugging a hefty .431 and has swiped 21 bases this season. (Can you tell I'm pushing ALEN HANSON?)

Could you move Neil Walker to third base and let the kid get a chance? Walker played some third in the minors, and wouldn't be totally out of place over there. If Hanson plays well, you have Harrison back as an option to take over for a struggling Polanco in right. Just a thought, you know?

Now I know this won't happen, the Pirates' history shows they have done everything but what I am suggesting. Walker may not sign back in Pittsburgh and there is no question Hanson is the team's future second basemen. He has not spent a lot of time in AAA, and it's not the like the Pirates to hurry a guy along to the majors often. It wouldn't be likely to move Walker to a position he hasn't played in a few years either.

It's merely my little plan to spark the team a little with their top energy guy on the shelf for six weeks. I think Kang will handle the duties just fine, but things change, slumps and further injuries can affect this team. Bringing up a 22 year old top 100 prospect isn't a horrible last resort option if it comes down to it. Just something to think ponder.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pirates "could" get creative without Harrison

Post by abpk2903 »

They paid a lot of money to get Kang here. He has shown that he is a MLB caliber player. IMO this is a perfect example of why they brought him in.

I agree with the guys from The Fan Morning Show. I think he will play much better when he knows it's his job for the next month. He won't have to feel like he is auditioning for a spot in the lineup tomorrow with each at bat. I would put a lot more trust into Kang right now than any of the other infield options in the organization.

On a side note, I love the way NH constructed this roster. Is their a more versatile roster in baseball? The pirates have so many guys that can play so many different positions. As injuries will continue to pop up this time of year, I really think the fans will see the value in this.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

They could always move Alvarez back to third! Walker could play third in a pinch. He can also play first in a pinch.

I noticed Harrison's OBP is the exact same as Alvarez's. Sean Rod has drawn all of two walks all year. He is a borderline major leaguer at best.

My question is who is considered to be trade bait at this point? Adding a significant bat will be costly.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Kang did hit a solid single up the middle last night In the 9th inning off a hard throwing righty. Off to a good start so far.
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

BRING BACK LUNCHBOX!
Eaglealum2
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Eaglealum2 »

Haha Peyton, almost posted same thing. Wouldn't hurt anything, and he's been great for O's . But Youngster Parades has cut into his time, not a far fetched idea
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

It was nice to see the two guys in question, Polanco and Kang, hit big triples in big spots last night. So far so good without Harrison, but let's hope the Bucs can get Marte back soon. And hopefully Cervelli's late scratch isn't a big deal either. Have five big games to get to that four day all star break, hopefully they can keep on pushing through.
WPIALD7
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by WPIALD7 »

Trade for Aramis Ramirez. Brew crew likely pick up some of the $$ owed, wouldn't cost a whole lot either
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

I'm afraid Aramis is fully depreciated and wouldn't be much help.

What would the Pirates have to give up to get him especially if Milwaukee was going to continue to pay the bulk of his contract?
Eaglealum2
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Eaglealum2 »

I still want arms. You can never have enough. Guys like Hamels, even at the last minute, will have too high a price tag. Guys like Smardjza(I know I missed about 4 letters) are a reach but possible, more likely are mid relievers and setup guys that may not be household names. One name that is intriguing to me is Chase Utley. Yea he's about done, can't stay healthy and all that, buuut.... He was healthy when phils were in the burgh a few weeks ago and put on a leather show. Guys with his experience, as bench guys and healthy because he's not playing everyday are invaluable. Not to mention has some pop left in bat if his body isn't falling apart. I know, a lot of if's , but "Ruin Tomorrow " Ruben Amaro is hinting to the world that they'd love to unload him.... If they eat the contract, why not?