Pirates "could" get creative without Harrison

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pirates "could" get creative without Harrison

Post by abpk2903 »

I think I say this at about every deadline on here but I absolutely hate the "deadline deal." The market is never more expensive than it will be over the next 3 weeks. There are 7 teams in baseball right now more than 6 games back of the WC spot. There aren't gonna be many sellers. Of the teams that are out of the race, how many good players do they really have? There is a reason they are basically eliminated at the half way point.

Do you know how much it is going to cost to bring in a pitcher that is a better option than Locke or Worley? With as limited the trade market is this year, it would be a lot. Other than Hamels, I'm not sure there is a pitcher better than Morton on the market. Is it really worth giving anything at all up to upgrade the 5th starter who may not even be on the postseason roster? I don't think so.

I think a bench player would be a good idea but that's about it.
Eaglealum2
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Eaglealum2 »

Or trade for a base coach and offer to pay Leyvas contract, lol.... Anyone else notice the base blunders went from just at the plate last year(Leyva had everyone running on contact) to everywhere since they moved him to 1st base this year? I cringe when Bucs get base runners on what potential blunder is up next
Btw, I wasn't necessarily meaning a starter, bullpen can always use a boost, look what Holdskum did for them
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

LUNCHBOX!!!!!!!!!
PortagePride
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by PortagePride »

[quote="Eaglealum2"]Or trade for a base coach and offer to pay Leyvas contract, lol.... Anyone else notice the base blunders went from just at the plate last year(Leyva had everyone running on contact) to everywhere since they moved him to 1st base this year? I cringe when Bucs get base runners on what potential blunder is up next
Btw, I wasn't necessarily meaning a starter, bullpen can always use a boost, look what Holdskum did for them[/quote]

EagleAlum I've been saying this all year...the Pirates are THEE worst base running team in the majors right now without a doubt. Special honors go to Polanco who is a total mess on the base paths game by game lol

Otherwise this team still has a HUGE lack of a clutch hitter/hitters. Yeah Polanco had a game or two against the Padres with some nice late game hits but as WHOLE this team just cannot hit even productive fly ball or ground out with runners on. Last night we had 10 runners left on base in the first four innings without scoring a run...that unacceptable ESPECIALLY when you're playing the Cardinals.
Eaglealum2
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Eaglealum2 »

I know they're pros and should know fundamentals. But like the Walker mishap the other night that kept them from a sweep.... Yes a 12 yr old knows better , but there were 4 pitches before the ball was hit.... WTH was Leyva doing in that time? We know he didn't remind him there were no outs and he didn't matter at all OTHER than NOT getting doubled up!!! He shouldn't have even been leading off!!!! That one play almost caused my big screen to get something thrown threw it
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

[quote="WPIALD7"]Trade for Aramis Ramirez. Brew crew likely pick up some of the $$ owed, wouldn't cost a whole lot either[/quote]
Well, YOU got your WISH! Any other Bucco cast-offs we can pick up?
WPIALD7
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by WPIALD7 »

[quote="Manfred"]
Well, YOU got your WISH! Any other Bucco cast-offs we can pick up?[/quote]

Steve Pearce?

LaRoche?

Barmes wouldnt of shocked me either though but doubt it happens now.

The A-Ram pickup is pretty good. we gave up a prospect I've never heard of and Milwaukee pays some of his paycheck.
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

Pearce was best platoon option for rf/1b in first place! Bucs biggest issue is giving up too quick on right guys(Pearce, Bautista, Moss, etc) and sticking with wrong ones too long(Bixler, Bullington, Pedro)... Oh and Tabata
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Pedro Alvarez was never a mistake to hang on to for this long and he is a really talented guy. Most home runs in the national league since 2012? 1. Giancarlo Stanton. 2. Pedro Alvarez.

His bad defense just caught up with him finally, but it wouldn't shock me in the very least if he was multiple 30 HR seasons of he finds the right fit. But I certainly don't blame anyone for hanging on to him, he's a lot better than Steve Pearce and other AAAA type players.
PLDragons24
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by PLDragons24 »

I've never understood the hate for Pedro. I think people just get blinded by his batting average. It's the most overrated stat in all of sports. Especially for a 5/6 spot in the lineup. He's on pace to hit almost 30 homers and 90 RBIs. That's exactly what he's paid to do. Drive in runs. And his on base percentage is almost the same as Poloncos and Harrison's. My only problem with Pedro is his terrible defense.