Pirates 2nd Half Prospectus

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pirates 2nd Half Prospectus

Post by abpk2903 »

Planco has gotta stay and be in the lineup at least 4 out of 5 games. The Pirates may have the most physically gifted player since Barry Bonds in him. As much as it is a "win now" mentality, his need for growth can't be ignored.

The idea of a 4th outfield is great but a lot of that should be dependent on JayHay's recovery. The Pirates have a good problem right now in late August. I think Kang will continue to get better and very tough to take out of the regular lineup. So with JayHay returning I see him being in a role very similar to early last year. He might play 4 positions in 4 days in order to give much needed days offs to regulars down the stretch. If you bring in fourth outfielder, how much are they really going to get to play?

What the Pirates need in my opinion is a really good base runner off the bench. In the playoffs, runs have to be manufactured. If Pedro rolls a single in the bottom of the 8th when the Pirates trail 2-1 in October, Jeff Francheur isn't helping you. Gorkys Hernandez may be a better option at that point. Dave Roberts is one of the biggest reasons the Red Sox won the 2004 WS. He at the time brought only 1 value to that team.

I'm a big fan of not trying to fix something that isn't broke. Bringing in a 4th outfielder that will possibly become the 5th outfielder once JayHay is healthy sounds a lot like a Corey Hart 2.0 situation to me.

Does anyone know if Lambo has any hope to return in 2015?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Andrew Lambo is on the 60 day DL, it doesn't appear likely.

But with regards to adding another outfielder, I don't think you can bank on waiting around for Harrison. For the next 6 weeks, you are still talking about a very poor backup situation and Polanco still batting .230ish. I don't see the harm in adding someone, and worrying about playing time later. There's just a lot of what ifs in the scenario, bringing on Jeff Francoeur or someone comparable can't hurt. The guys deserving of at bats will get them, and if he is needed to play, I'd rather have that guy over Tabata or Gorkys.

The Pirates are close, but the are 18th in the league in runs scored and 27th in Home Runs, adding a few more bats is going to help. The Cardinals or Nationals probably aren't going to stand pat, so I have to imagine a move somewhere needs to be made.
WPIALD7
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by WPIALD7 »

Doubt they go get another OF'er. Think they roll with Gregory Polanco. He's their guy. That's why Travis Snider was let go. The only way to get through the growing pains is to play him and that's the plan. I guess it's possible they would panic and go get a mercenary like Francoeur if Polanco is hitting .235 while the Bucs are 46-42 but not when they are 53-35, 2.5 games back and 6.5 up in the WC race, and he has had 3 clutch hits in the last 5 or 6 wins. They cant trade for anybody that makes the Cardinals lose when we arent playing against them...Jose Tabata and Corey Hart are your options

If they make a move, I think it's for one of the many starting pitchers that are candidates to be dumped by their team. Right now everyone is still in it in the AL so that leaves a couple NL guys like Harang or Cueto at the moment. The A's fall a few more games, Kazmir will be let go. I bet he goes to someone with the way they do business anyway. Samardzjia, Buchholz maybe Price, I think the Sox want to re-sign Buchholz though. The Bucs arent going after anyone owed a bunch of money like Hamels. Chris Sale is my wet dream pick up, but I'm not willing to give up what it would take to get him(Marte or Polanco + Glasnow since everyone else is hurt and probably another prospect). Really we have no spot for a starter at the moment but I wouldnt be shocked if Cole, Liriano, or Burnett have an injury in 2nd half and then your playoff rotation is screwed. Even if Locke or Morton get hurt I dont want to see Worley enter the regular rotation. Trade for a mercenary starter, dump Worley and it depends on if the new pitcher is LHP/RHP to see who takes Worley's long relief spot Morton or Locke. A good enough merc and you can dump AJ or papa Frank from the playoff rotation even if they dont get hurt and they still may start a game in a 7 game series. I'd probably go with AJ, after he gives us 200 innings, how much more will he have. I love him but that's how it goes.

I'm fine with the bullpen. We got guys in the minors waiting for another shot. Brad Lincoln, Liz, maybe Holdzkom's "shoulder fatigue" is getting better. Scahill will be back.

95-67 is my prediction. Will it be good enough to get us an NL Central title? Hope so but if the Cards keep playing +.600 baseball, it wont be.