Jordy Mercer's injury may force some action

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Jordy Mercer's injury may force some action

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

In case you missed the game Sunday afternoon, Jordy Mercer took a hard hit to his left lower leg on a takeout slide by Milwaukee's Carlos Gomez. Gomez was likely trying to break up the play, but with Mercer so far from the bag, where was Gomez sliding exactly? It's hard to know if he had malicious intent on the play, but it sure did look like it. Mercer needed a cart off the field, and looked to be in quite a bit of pain. No official word on the diagnosis just yet, but it sure did not look good and looks like it will send him to the disabled list. Ultimately the Pirates dropped the game 6-1, and ended up getting swept by the last place Milwaukee Brewers.

Some quick evidence already points to Mercer heading to the DL, as the Indianapolis Indians withheld Brent Morel from the start tonight. My guess is Morel is on his way to Kansas City as we speak, and Mercer will likely be announced to go on the DL tomorrow afternoon at some time. Morel will join the team at least for the short term.

Obviously this puts the Pirates in a bit of a bind. After being the healthiest team in the NL in the first half (least amount of days with regulars on the DL) the injury bug is catching up with them of late. It's a long season, and it was bound to happen at some point, it's baseball it's just the way things go throughout the course of 162 games. With that said, though, the Pirates are suddenly without their opening day third basemen 5-6 weeks, and perhaps without their opening day shortstop for an unknown amount of time, possibly for a few weeks, possibly for the year (hey maybe the injury isn't all that bad, but it looked rough). Time to plan accordingly.

For the time being, the Pirates have Neil Walker as the everyday second basemen, Kang will likely have to fill in at shortstop now. That leaves Sean Rodriguez, and presumably Brent Morel as the other infielders on the active roster. In short, that's not a very good predicament. Walker and Kang are basically looking at no to very few days off for the time being. It leaves a glaring hole in the infield, and you hate to say it, but first base is not looking very strong, and Polanco is still going through some growing pains in right.

If you look at the two benchmark teams of the National League, the Giants and Cardinals, when injuries like this happen - they adapt. Do they go out and make splash trades? Not usually , they find veteran contributors that somehow step up while their stars carry the offense. Simply put, McCutchen, Marte, Walker, Kang, and Cervelli all have to be on their A game and limit slumps and dips in their averages. The Bucs need an unlikely hero or two to start playing better also? Pedro get hot? Polanco catches fire? Stuff like that always works out for St. Louis or San Francisco, the Pirates need that too.

The Pirates are basically at the point where a deal of any kind needs to be made. I'm not saying the giant splash trade needs to happen tonight, but adding some sort of a bench utility guy to help calm things down for a bit probably needs to happen. They are now one injury to a starter away from really being in trouble.

Sean Rodriguez is 10 for his last 67 at bats (.149) and really looks lost at the plate. Beyond him, in AAA you have Brent Morel who is batting an OK .266 in AAA with 9 homers, but is a .226 career hitter in the big leagues. Steve Lombardozzi is 0-12 with the Bucs this year, Pedro Florimon can defend, but is also a lousy hitter in the bigs with a career .204 mark. The only exciting infielder in AAA is Alen Hanson, who has been historically bad as a shortstop throughout his career, and can only play second where Walker is firmly entrench. There just isn't a wealth of options internally. Move Walker to third, bring up Hanson? Yeah I don't see it either.

When we wake up tomorrow, there will be 12 days until the trading deadline. In those 12 days the Pirates have to deal with the AL Central leader Kansas City, NL East leader Washington, the pesky Reds in Cincinnati, and a solid Minnesota team that already holds two wins over the Bucs on the year. I don't want to sound too panicky, because they do still have the second best record in the NL, but they can't rest on the backs of Sean Rodriguez and Brent Morel while Harrison and Mercer sit on the DL, go grab somebody. Soon.
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Jordy Mercer's injury may force some action

Post by peytonsaturday »

Top trade targets (If I were NH)
1. Jean Segura (assuming Mercer is out for a long period of time)
2. Clint Barmes (Can get him for cheap, has chemistry with Walker)
3. Pedro Cirarco (again cheap)
4. Brock Holt (Boston's lone all-star, and they'll be looking to rebuild)
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I think Alan Hansen wasn't discussed as a prospect to find the majors this year because they wanted to be sure he continued to get consistent at bats. Well, I think he is a better option than Sean Rod or Morel.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

All reports indicate that Hanson isn't a good fielder, especially at shortstop. The only way to make it work is to move Walker to first or third and I doubt that is down thing Neal Huntington would like to do.

But hey, the trade rumors start. Pirates reportedly interested in Justin Upton. Upton is a rental player most likely but as much as I like Polanco, I know for these next three months Upton in right is the better player and would help the team win more. It would also mean Polanco heads to the bench and well, that would upgrade the bench.

Depends what they ask in return, but I would be on board with Uptom. They probably won't ask for a ton since they will be happy to get anything from him.
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

What about Kang to SS, and Hanson to 3B?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

I heard it's the throw from short to first is what he struggles with most, so moving him to third still creates that issue. Judging by his size and build he probably has pretty good range to cover ground. I like the idea of him coming up, but logistically I don't see any way Huntington will do it. He plays things conservatively.

Mercer and Harrison are roughly on the same timeline it appears, late August/early September. They need an extra infielder...period. Let's see what they do.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Just Kidding on that last post :), "BREAKING NEWS Alen Hanson is moving to third base. ". Seriously.
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

For real??
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Yep, Piratesprospects.com is reporting Hanson is playing third in Indy tonight.

**Update**. Hanson is playing second tonight but did start working at third today. Someone jumped the gun on saying he was starting there tonight.
popeye2530
Freshman
Freshman

Post by popeye2530 »

Yes, heard that on the Fan this afternoon. Hanson is going to get reps at third, making many think that the GM is going to go against his normal cautious approach with prospects. Also heard the Bucs may be interested in Juan Uribe from Atlanta. They talked about the Barmes & Upton possibilities too.