Jordy Mercer's injury may force some action

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Re: Jordy Mercer's injury may force some action

Post by Coach »

I have been out of the loop since last night. Any word on Mercer's injury yet?
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Jordy Mercer is out six weeks, Brent Morel was promoted.
WPIALD7
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by WPIALD7 »

Hanson is now a 2b. Has been for a year. They are keeping him there. I could of swore that's what NH said on fan today. He hasnt played 3b since 2010
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Hanson has been at second all year, but he started taking some practice at third this afternoon. Huntington acknowledged that this did in fact happen and basically said they wanted him to get reps there at some point, but with the Mercer and Harrison injuries, it got moved up a tad. I was caught a little off guard, basically because I heard Hanson's throwing arm from shortstop was an issue, but apparently they are going to give it a chance.

So we'll see what happens, but Hanson coming up to the majors does not seem like a longshot anymore this season. Maybe a week working on third and he can be on the big club near the first of the month? He's gotta be a better option than Sean Rodriguez right now.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

He may not be taking the reps to come up in place of Sean Rod but in case of another injury. If Kang or Walker or Sean Rod or Pedro goes down with an injury over the next 6 weeks, then he may be the only option left in the system. They only have so many infielders and the organization may realize everyone from AA up better be flexible over the next few weeks.
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

MLBTR reported that Bucs inquired about Cliff Pennington, Barmes, and Zobrist... All 3 rentals who have expiring contracts
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Good names to go after, because when Harrison and Mercer come back, those guys would still be useful off the bench and be upgrades over Sean Rodriguez most likely.

I like SRod defensively, but he is 3-40 in the month of July. It's getting out of hand, the guy just can't hit.
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

completely hypothetical question. Would you:

Send:
Polanco
Mercer
Tallion

Receive:
Tulowiski
lower level pitching prospect

discuss
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

If it wouldn't be for Tulo's crippling contract, I'd say I'd be 70/30 in favor. Polanco is a special talent, but so is Tulo's in position of need and Bucs have a glut in OF on the way . Tallion is a gamble at this point, talent potential yes.... But also needs to develope and has been under the knife and yet to pitch a full season, could be a great one or could be another Bullington.
But there's no way the Bucs could take that contract. 23 mil per yr plus he's owed 17 mil on top of that that was back logged plus a 30+ mil buyout.... He'd have to play the whole field by himself.
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

On a bright note, Bucs just drew the #6 pick in next years competitive balance draft. Basiclly an extra 1st round pick, which will give them 2 of top 36 picks.
.... A. Einstein