Pirates Game 123 Thoughts: 7-1 win over Houston

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Pirates Game 123 Thoughts: 7-1 win over Houston

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

The Pirates avoided a fifth straight loss with a convincing 7-0 win over a pretty good Houston team. They jumped all over the Astros' starter, Joe Musgrove, for a 4 run first inning. The Pirates really needed this win, as they still find themselves still in the thick of the race.  As of a few minutes ago, both the Marlins and Cardinals were losing. 

-- Ivan Nova was really good tonight, and he followed an excellent start from Taillon last night.  Nova hasn't been outstanding or anything since his acquisition, but he's given them some OK starts and bought them some innings. Nova was lights out through 8, but Houston did find some success in the ninth against him. He settled in and finished it off on 98 pitches.  He's now 3-0 with the Pirates. 

-- The Pirates went with Adam Frazier to play second base and leadoff this game in place of Josh Harrison, and it was the boost they needed.  Frazier led off the game with a base hit and came the whole way around to score on a Joyce double.  Frazier has good speed and seems to play with a spark. Harrison has had a bad season, so I'd be fine with Frazier getting some extra work. 

-- Matt Joyce got the start for Starling Marte, and like Frazier gave the team a boost. He was 2-4 with a single and a double and RBI, and scored 2 runs.  Joyce also made a really nice diving catch late in the game. I'm not sure the Pirates will resign Joyce, but he should get a nice contract in the offseason. 

-- Cutch went 1-3 with a walk, run, and an RBI. Cutch is batting .263 this month, his best month since May.  

-- Man oh man, Gregory Polanco really showed up tonight. He's been squaring up the ball on this homestand.  Both home runs were impressive, an opposite field one to the corner and a one handed swing to right center. He finished 3-4 with 3 RBI as well.  I think we are only seeing the beginning of a special career. 

-- David Freese was 1-4 and made a nice play or two in the field.  I didn't catch the whole game last night, but I do want to say I like resigning him. The Pirates have made it work finding spots for him to play, and now they have insurance if Kang's issues escalate. 

-- Josh Bell was 2-3 with an RBI tonight. He's making rookie mistakes with some bad defense and poor base running, but the talent is there.  He really connects with the ball off the bat as well as anyone on the team.  His bat fits nicely into the 6 hole, gives them such a better threat than Jaso. 

-- Cervelli was a quiet 0-4, but has been really hitting well since his return from the DL. I'd imagine he'll get the day off tomorrow. 

-- Mercer was 1-2 with a double and a pair of walks. He made some nice plays defensively as well. 

Gerrit Cole takes the hill tomorrow for a chance at a series win. Ever since Cole's complete game, his last 3-4 starts have been really bad.  I can't tell if he's injured or just going through a rough patch.  I know some people think the guy is overrated, but I find him to be a really good pitcher. Last year he was incredible. I just think something is off with his past 4 starts. Hopefully he gets it corrected, and they win tomorrow. 
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pirates Game 123 Thoughts: 7-1 win over Houston

Post by konjo78 »

Classic crimson.... avoids the losses but posts when a win finally happens was 91 games ago since one of these posts happened after a loss
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 223113 »

I have a feeling Cole turns the corner tonight. He's such a fiery pitcher, wears his emotions on his sleeve. Nope, never any doubt how he's feeling. I thought we were about to see a meltdown in the one bad inning, his last start. Couple hits, an error or 2 behind him,...he was Boiling.
Then,...I saw the most impressive play of the season. Serious, better than the outfielders' diving catches, etc. On either a bunt, or swinging dribbler along the 3rd base line, Cole bolted off the hill, sprinted to the ball, near the line, stuck his right foot in the ground, and threw an Absolute Bee Bee to 1st to get the out. He channelled all that fire and emotion, to make an incredible personal effort. Wow.
He's gonna be fine.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

konjo78 wrote:Classic crimson.... avoids the losses but posts when a win finally happens was 91 games ago since one of these posts happened after a loss
Monday's 3-1 loss to Houston
Harrison - sucked
Marte - sucked
McCutchen - sucked
Polanco - Didn't suck
Freese - Didn't suck so bad
Bell - Didn't suck so bad
Cervelli - Didn't suck so bad
Mercer - sucked
Tailon - wasn't bad
Feliz - sucked
There's nothing to talk about when they suck. So stop bit ching when he doesn't cover every game or loss. Why don't you do every loss since you're so critical of people? The loss column would be good for you, or you could just sit there and shut up.
[youtube]MWS5PMHjfcE[/youtube]
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

konjo78 wrote:Classic crimson.... avoids the losses but posts when a win finally happens was 91 games ago since one of these posts happened after a loss
Classic Konjo...has never brought a post of any substance to the board. Sits back and waits for others to put in time and hard work on a thread only to ruin the thread with his comments.

As for the Pirates, they seem to win when I don't watch them or have any hopes for their playoff chances. They have hung in there with Kang, McCutchen, Harrison, Cervelli, Cole, and Liriano (while he was here) all having very subpar years. 

If those guys can somehow click in the last 40 games and turn their season around, they could be as dangerous as any team in the NL (outside of Chicago).