Week One District Six Class A Power Rankings

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Week One District Six Class A Power Rankings

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

1. Bishop Guilfoyle 1-0 Defeated Bedford 34-16 Next up: Westmont      Last: #1
Bishop Guilfoyle had to work for it, but they started the year with a win over Bedford.  Going on the road is never easy, and obviously the Bisons were revved up to host BG.  Justin Wheeler's team is still dealing with the loss of star, Evan Chadbourn - it's obvious, but they had their senior quarterback Josh Trybus step up and throw 3 touchdown passes to earn their 33rd straight win.  They open up their home schedule with a 1-0 Westmont team. The Hilltoppers have the size to match BG, but I'm not sure they have the athletes on the outside. I'm thinking win #34 comes next week. 

2. Homer Center 1-0 Defeated Purchase Line 49-44  Next up: Marion Center   Last: #2
It took a wild high scoring affair to do it, but the Wildcats opened the year 1-0. A late Jesse Lee score secured the win for Homer in a game that saw over 800 yards of combined offense.  I think this week will be a little less stressful for Greg Page's team, and I think Homer improves to 2-0. 

3. Portage 1-0 Defeated Ferndale 49-6  Next up: Conemaugh Township   Last: 3
After falling behind Ferndale 6-0, the Mustangs rolled up the game's next 49 points to cruise to an easy opening win. Portage used a headline worthy performance from senior back, Braedon St. Clair as he rushed for 206 yards on only 10 carries with 4 touchdowns. They host Conemaugh Township this week in what will be a big time atmosphere.  Township and Portage are among the favorites in the WestPac, and a win here could seriously boost the victor's conference title hopes. 

4. Moshannon Valley 1-0 Defeated Northern Bedford 35-14  Next up: Southern Huntingdon   Last: #4
Moshannon Valley made quite a statement by going into Northern Bedford and beating them by three touchdowns. The Black Knights appear to be a force in the ICC once again, and proving last year was not a one hit wonder. They will welcome 1-0 Southern Huntgdon to town this week. 

5. Northern Cambria 1-0 Defeated Penns Manor 19-9  Next up: @ United   Last: #5
Northern Cambria defeated rival Penns Manor in convincing fashion in week one. They used a balanced rushing attack to overpower the Comets.  They will travel to 1-0 United this week with the hopes of moving to 2-0. 
jc52
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Week One District Six Class A Power Rankings

Post by jc52 »

I always enjoy reading your take on the teams in the district. Not sure about having H-C that high, though. I'd probably drop them to four or five with Portage and MV moving up a spot (debatable who is better there, too. Impressive win for MV last week that no one is really talking about). NC is pretty good this year, too. They beat H-C last year and both teams return quite a bit. I'd add Purchase Line and Juniata Valley as honorable mentions at this point
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Week One District Six Class A Power Rankings

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I think we'll learn a little more about Portage on Friday, I think Township is pretty good.

I will say, I didn't expect Moshannon Valley to beat Northern Bedford, so that definitely caught my eye.