Week Two District Six Class AA Power Rankings

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Week Two District Six Class AA Power Rankings

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

1. Ligonier Valley 2-0  Defeated Saltsburg 68-0   Next up: @ Northern Cambria   Last week: #1
Ligonier cruised to a 68-0 win over Saltsburg to move to 2-0. The Rams are outscoring opponents 117-0 through two games.  Ligonier should see a tougher test this week. Northern Cambria is a pretty good football team, and the game will come on the road.  Ligonier, however, does seem like a real force this season. If they play like they are capable of week in and week out, they should continue to roll in the Heritage. 

2. Bishop McCort 2-0 Defeated Cambria Heights 43-6   Next up: Bishop Guilfoyle   Last week: #2 
Bishop McCort rolled over Cambria Heights last week. The Crushers have been using big plays to overwhelm their first two opponents, but will be in for some tougher competition this week. Bishop Guilfoyle and their 34 game winning streak will be coming to the Point Stadium. It will be a good barometer to see if McCort is for real this season. 

3. Westmont 1-1 Lost to Bishop Guilfoyle 35-7   Next up: Penn Cambria   Last week: #3
Westmont lost to the defending state champs 35-7 on the road.  While it read as a four touchdown loss, Westmont battled and hung in there for a good portion of the game. Pat Barron's team can run the football, and that's what they have been doing through two games. They will look to bounce back this week with a 1-1 Penn Cambria coming to Johnstown. 

4. Bellwood-Antis 1-1  Defeated Glendale 48-7   Next up: @ Claysburg-Kimmel   Last week: #5
Bellwood got in the win column with an easy win over Glendale.  They will now look to turn that into a winning streak with a trip to Claysburg-Kimmel on Friday. 

5. Mount Union 1-1 Defeated Juniata Valley 7-6   Next up: @ Tussey Mountain  Last week: unranked

Mt. Union hung on to beat Juniata Valley by a single point last week. The Trojans have not found their stride on offense through two weeks, and will look to change that on Friday against Tussey Mountain. 
lhacbigfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Week Two District Six Class AA Power Rankings

Post by lhacbigfan »

Just a heads up, Penn Cambria is AAA this year.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

I knew that, I'm an idiot. Coffee didn't kick in yet.  Thanks. 
timex13
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by timex13 »

Will be at BM vs BG this week. Excited for it, should be a fun match up. I think we'll find out a lot about McCort this Friday night and if they're for real or not. Even without Chadborne, BG is still one of the best teams in the state in single A.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

McCort's line against BG is the matchup to watch. McCort has good back's and receivers and a solid senior QB, but I could see them getting pushed around up front.
billmurray
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by billmurray »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:McCort's line against BG is the matchup to watch. McCort has good back's and receivers and a solid senior QB, but I could see them getting pushed around up front.
Westmont's line matched up very well with BG.  They really were just a few inches here and there from a possible upset. literally. Mike Weinzierl at 305 gave BGs Dline all they wanted. 
timex13
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by timex13 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:McCort's line against BG is the matchup to watch. McCort has good back's and receivers and a solid senior QB, but I could see them getting pushed around up front.
I agree with that. If I were Brian Basile that would be my concern. McCort certainly has the athletes. Levi Cook is a heck of a QB, too. BG's line is just otherworldly for single-A standards. 
Panthersfan
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Panthersfan »

I think McCort's line is very underrated, they have some solid players there. Crimson I'm curious why you have Ligonier above McCort. In my unbiased honest opinion as a Penn Cambria fan, I believe McCort beats Ligonier ten times out of ten and by at least 3 TD's I don't even think it's close between those two. I understand that Ligonier has a stud D1 athlete and will most likely go 10-0 but I just think that McCort is flat out the much, much better football team. Can you explain what makes you think that Ligonier is better?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

I'm just skeptical of McCort at this point more than anything.  I think they have good offensive weapons, good quarterback play, some solid linemen, but having watched nearly every game last year, they would just get manhandled up front quite a bit. They couldn't get off the field in third down situations, that kind of thing.

Ligonier should be 10-0 going into the playoffs, McCort might only be 5-5.  Are they the better team? I'm not sure. 
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Panthersfan wrote:I think McCort's line is very underrated, they have some solid players there. Crimson I'm curious why you have Ligonier above McCort. In my unbiased honest opinion as a Penn Cambria fan, I believe McCort beats Ligonier ten times out of ten and by at least 3 TD's I don't even think it's close between those two. I understand that Ligonier has a stud D1 athlete and will most likely go 10-0 but I just think that McCort is flat out the much, much better football team. Can you explain what makes you think that Ligonier is better?
McCort beats two crappy teams and all of a sudden we think they can not only beat, but destroy a great team that brought everyone back and is picked to go far?? I think McCort needs to prove themselves before you have them being a world beater. Plus you should give LV a bit more respect. We know they're good.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths