LHAC Football Forecast Week Four

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

LHAC Football Forecast Week Four

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Last week I posted a 5-1 mark, bringing my total to 14-4 on the season. I thought Westmont would take down Penn Cambria, but it appears the Panthers are an improved team from last year.  Beyond that, I think things went as expected in the league. McCort and Guilfoyle was the most intriguing game, and the Crushers kept it interesting for about a half, but BG is still the top dogs for a reason.  Johnstown really made a statement against Forest Hills with a 40-0 shutout, looks like the Trojans are the real deal.  This is week four, so we should start to see some separation. We know Guilfoyle and Johnstown are the two best teams, we also have an idea who the bottom three teams are.  In the middle still feels jumbled, but we should get some much needed clarity this week. 

[center]Cambria Heights (0-3) at Bishop Guilfoyle (3-0) Friday 7:00 Mansion Park[/center]

Cambria Heights dropped a 27-0 decision to Somerset last week. The young Highlanders have had some serious struggles on offense this season, with just four touchdowns in three games.  Junior tailback Ben Yahner paces the offense with 129 yards and a touchdown. Heights is currently supporting a -4 turnover margin. Between turnovers and a stagnant offense, it's no secret why they are not in the win column yet.  This is a younger team in general with just five seniors on the team. They should improve throughout the year, but have a big task coming up this weekend. 

Bishop Guilfoyle once again got a tough shot, this time from Bishop McCort. Don't get me wrong, Guilfoyle is still winning games in convincing fashion, but they are having to work for them more this season. Last year through three games, BG was outscoring opponents 157-21, while this year through three games, it's been 100-37. No matter the score, it's still a 35 game winning streak for Justin Wheeler's team.  The difference this season to the prior two years has been the emergence of the passing game.  Senior Josh Trybus is 24-34 this season for 364 yards and 5 scores with 0 interceptions.  He's also rushed for 134 yards and a touchdown.  If that type of efficient play continues, this team is tough to beat.

Prediction - Bishop Guilfoyle should move to 4-0 this week, and get the winning streak to 36 games. They are a more talented and more experienced team playing at home. 

Marauders 42 Highlanders 0

[center]Forest Hills (1-2) at Bishop Carroll (0-3) Friday 7:00[/center]
Forest Hills will look to get back on track Friday after dropping a 40-0 setback to Johnstown last week. Forest Hills' passing attack was bottled up against the Trojans, but they should be able to get back on track Friday. Adam Cecere has been mostly good this year, but is coming off a tough week.  He has throw for 307 yards and 6 touchdowns to just one interception, while also rushing for 188 yards and two scores. He's a special player, but in a perfect world this coaching staff would like for a running back to unset him as a leading rusher.  Look for the Rangers to get Eric Elgin going on Friday, he has 146 yards through three weeks, but I expect him to have a nice game on Friday. 

Bishop Carroll suffered a 54-0 defeat at the hands of Bedford last week. The Huskies have just 16 points through three games, and have really struggled on both sides of the ball. Chris Kozak's team just lacks the depth right now to get themselves into close games and to potentially find a win somewhere.  

Prediction - I look for Forest Hills to get back on track this week. The Rangers have more talent and depth, and should be able to get the running game going this week. Cecere won't be facing constant pressure this week, and should have some time to make some plays downfield. 

Rangers 35 Huskies 0

[center]Westmont (1-2) at Johnstown (3-0) Friday 7:00 Trojan Stadium[/center]
Westmont's vaunted rushing attack was unable to get going against Penn Cambria last week as the Hilltoppers lost 28-0. They will look to rebound this week against cross-town rival Johnstown on Friday night. In fact, it's like the tenant playing the landlord, as Westmont has been using Johnstown's field as their middle school is under construction.  Westmont won the meeting last year against the Hilltoppers and will look to make it two in a row. Ian Velente (385 yards), Camden Moors (246), and Brock Bennett (126) all need to get going. With teams starting to figure out how they play, look for Westmont to mix in a pass here and there. 

Johnstown made a statement last week.  We knew they were expected to beat Forest Hills, but 40-0 was a bit of a surprise.  The Trojans used a dominant defensive performance and shut down a good Rangers' passing offense. They also displayed a powerful offense led by senior running back, Bryce Gibson.  Gibson has 406 yards and 6 touchdowns on the young season. Austin Barber has done a nice job this season in his first year as the starting quarterback, with 430 yards and 5 touchdowns with 0 interceptions.  Johnstown had it all going last week, and this team is just clicking. 

Prediction - It seems Westmont can always play Johnstown tough, and have mixed in some upsets and scares through the years.  I just don't know if that'll happen this year. Johnstown just has such a dynamic offense with Barber, Gibson and Loe. The defense has just been so good also, led by junior defensive end Shamar Jones.  I just think Westmont will have trouble keeping up for four quarters, but they could very well put up a fight. 

Trojans 36 Hilltoppers 13

[center]Penn Cambria (2-1) at Central Cambria (0-3) Friday 7:00[/center]

Central Cambria has struggled early on this season. They were in a close game last week with Richland, just couldn't finish and dropped to 0-3. The Red Devils will look to bounce back in their annual rivalry game with Penn Cambria this week. Junior quarterback Justin Bezek tossed for 148 yards and a touchdown last week. He has been the featured player on offense this year, but they finally showed some life in the running game. David O'Saben and Caliber Castel combined for over 200 yards rushing last week, and they will need to get that going again Friday to have any chance against Penn Cambria. 

Penn Cambria has reeled off two straight wins after their season opening loss to Johnstown. It is pretty evident they are improved from their 1-9 season in 2015. The rushing duo of Nick Hite and Austin Zupon has been electric this season. Hite had 117 yards and all four touchdowns against Westmont last week. He is having a very nice season. The Panthers' defense also shut down a strong rushing attack from Westmont, and held them scoreless. Zupon and fellow senior Patrick Farrell had strong showings last week.

Prediction - Penn Cambria is on their way to having a nice season. They have a nice blend on offense with Hite and Zupon providing a a nice 1-2 punch, and they can really lock in on defense.  It's looking like Penn Cambria football from a few years ago.  Central Cambria has been competitive mostly, but haven't played a complete game.  Perhaps they get it going this week with the motivation of a rivalry, but I just don't see it.

Panthers 31 Red Devils 13

[center]Richland (2-1) at Bedford (2-1) Friday 7:00[/center]

This is a pivotal game early in the season for the Richland Rams. With just six spots up for grabs in the AA playoff field, every win matters for the competitive field of teams.  Brandon Bailey's team has shown both good and bad in the young season. The good mainly surrounds their junior quarterback, Ethan Dabbs. He has thrown for 342 yards and four touchdowns, while rushing for 314 yards and five scores. While those are good numbers, he has thrown four interceptions and lost three fumbles.  Protecting the ball will be key in a game like this. 

Bedford has won two straight since their week 0 loss to Bishop Guilfoyle. While some were expecting a big dropoff from this program, this team isn't ready to conceded to those expectations. The offense has been anchored by junior quarterback Davis Kline who has been effective at both passing and running accounting for five touchdowns already. Seniors Andrew May and Chris Ellis have provided some production offensively as well. It's hard to gauge this team's ability still, they did play Guilfoyle tough, but they've handled a pair of 0-3 teams since.  Richland may give them a better test. 

Prediction -  I look for this to be a competitive game. Both teams have won a pair of games that they should have, but have yet to find a signature win. I think Bedford is the one that gets to 3-1 at home.

Bisons 30 Rams 20

[center]GAME OF THE WEEK[/center]

[center]Bishop McCort (2-1) at Somerset (2-1) Friday 7:00[/center]

Bishop McCort was within a touchdown at the half against #1 Bishop Guilfoyle, but the wheels came off a bit in the third quarter. Still, McCort has shown some signs through three weeks that they are better than the previous few seasons. Levi Cook will look to bounce back from a rough game against BG, and the four year starter is a key in this game.  The rushing prowess of Carnell Andrews and Antony Walters was strong last week, and I look for them to see a ton of action this week. Kristian Flemming and Imil Britt may also factor into the gameplan as well. 

Somerset rebounded from a tough loss to Forest Hills with a sound 27-0 shutout victory over Cambria Heights. The Golden Eagles have rode a strong opening three games from senior tailback, Austin Hemminger. He leads the team with 417 yards and 6 touchdowns on the young season. I expect the Golden Eagles look to get him going behind their veteran offensive line. Cam Coddington has seen more action at QB lately, and that should allow for more snaps at receiver for George Coyle.  The chance is there for this offense to be scary good, and they will look to click on all cylinders on Friday.

Prediction - Truthfully, this is one that can go either way. Both teams need to prove themselves that they belong in the top half of the conference.  McCort opened with two easy wins, but lost to Guilfoyle, they will look for this to be their signature win. Somerset wants to prove the Forest Hills game was just a poor showing, and that they can hang with the best.  I like McCort, but as I said, it could go either way.

Crimson Crushers 30 Golden Eagles 27
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: LHAC Football Forecast Week Four

Post by DragonsDoExist »

AA playoff field is 8 teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Hmm wasn't aware, that's unfortunate. Seems like it'll water it down.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Hmm wasn't aware, that's unfortunate. Seems like it'll water it down.
AAA is 6, AA 8 and A 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
CoffinCorner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CoffinCorner »

It is interesting that Westmont plays Johnstown so well, but Westmont can be thrown on and Barber should be able to hit his big play receivers all day,.

MCcort beats Somerset easily, again beating CC and CH, not real proof that Somerset is that good, McCort coming off of a loss rebounds
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

On that same token, beating Heights and Carroll doesn't mean they are a good team either.  Both have a lot to prove on Friday. 
dougkeklak
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dougkeklak »

As a Johnstown fan, Westmont always worries me, never take that game for granted through the years since the Trojans joined the LHAC. This current Hilltopper team is really tough to watch, everything looks slow motion (even the way they break the huddle!) then all of a sudden everyone is through the hole and an RB is running free. Methodical. They do what they do very well and I respect the heck out of them. Talent for talent JHS wins going away, but games aren't played on paper!
CrimsonLion
Senior
Senior

Post by CrimsonLion »

Tough to say Johnstown and BG are the top two teams just yet. Johnstown is a very good team, but I think you have to wait until they play McCort to anoint them as one of the top two. Just my opinion.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

I think it's pretty clear BG and Johnstown are 1-2.

I think it's fair to say the three 0-3 teams are in the bottom.

3-9 seems very jumbled yet.

Everyone is all over McCort for some reason. They've won 7 games in the past three years and have wins over 2 of the 0-3 teams to date. I assumed them starting a bunch of sophomores last year would eventually make them better this year and next, but I still think they need to go out and do it. Beating Somerset would say a lot about this team in my opinion, and well losing makes you start to wonder if they'll be much more than 5-5.
CoffinCorner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CoffinCorner »

MCcort has a nice sized line, tons of speed, Andrews is a bull in the back field and a qb who has started four years,. And add to that now Benton who was a two way starter at Central,. The only question mark for me is coaching , but they have all in the pieces in place