LHAC Football Forecast Week Five

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

LHAC Football Forecast Week Five

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I went 6-0 in my picks last week raising my total to 20-4 on the year through four weeks of action.  I found it interesting how close Westmont played Johnstown, I thought it could happen but wasn't counting on it. Everything else went about according to plan. There weren't many upset/potential upsets on the horizon, but that'll be different this week. I see a number of games that could go either way. 

[center]Bishop Carroll (0-4) at Penn Cambria (3-1) Friday 7:00[/center]

Bishop Carroll dropped to 0-4 last week after falling to Forest Hills 53-6. The Huskies did hang tough in the first half however, as it was 13-6 late in the second quarter. Unfortunately for the Carroll, it was like the three weeks prior as it went South quickly. Forest Hills scored a defensive touchdown then never looked back in the second half.  I believe the Huskies' team is getting better each and every week, but it's still a tall mountain to climb. 

Penn Cambria is looking to make one of the biggest turnarounds in the league this season. After a 1-9 campaign just a year ago, the Panthers are on quite the revenge tour this season. Penn Cambria dismantled Central Cambria last week 42-13 behind a sensational performance by senior running back, Nick Hite.  He went for 197 rushing yards on just seven carries and three touchdowns. That's an insane 28.1 yard per carry average. Not bad, not bad at all. 

Prediction - I think Penn Cambria is for real. They have been really good in the early going, and Nick Hite should be able to make plays in the running game behind their experienced line against a short handed Bishop Carroll squad. 

Panthers 49 Huskies 7

[center]Johnstown (4-0) at Richland (2-2) Friday 7:00 Herlinger Field[/center]

Johnstown came up with a big defensive play to stuff Westmont's would be go-ahead 2 point conversion attempt last week. It preserved the 28-27 win. The undefeated Trojans will look to go 5-0 for the first time since 2011 this week. Johnstown's offense has been more run heavy this season than in recent years, and for good reason too. Bryce Gibson is averaging 9.5 yards per carry, and already has 608 rushing yards and 7 touchdowns.  He's been good, and so has new starting quarterback Austin Barber, who has 7 touchdowns to just 1 interception through four weeks. This is a dynamic offense, and the defense has been pretty good as well. They are attracting statewide attention, and now find themselves in some state rankings. 

Richland just couldn't hang with Bedford last week in a 37-12 loss.  They drop to 2-2, and fall back into the thick of a crowded AA playoff race. The Rams will look to get back on track, but it will take an upset to make it happen. Richland's trouble still seems to be with that turnover margin, as it is sitting at -7 right now.  They need to take care of the ball against a good team like Johnstown, who will jump all over mistakes. 

Prediction - I just think Johnstown has a few too many weapons for Richland.  Johnstown can beat you in so many ways, and should be able to defeat a mistake prone Richland team.

Trojans 34 Rams 12

[center]Central Cambria (0-4) at Cambria Heights (0-4) Friday 7:00[/center]

Something has to give here, as one team will finally move into the win column.  Central Cambria is coming off a one-sided loss to Penn Cambria, and will look to get it turned around on Friday. Justin Bezek has played fairly well at quarterback this season, and the passing game can definitely make plays. The running game was bottled up last week, and has been for the majority of the season. They will need some balance to win on Friday. 

Cambria Heights was no match for league-favorite Bishop Guilfoyle.  The Highlanders' offense has been nonexistent at times this season. They are averaging less than 200 yards of total offense per game. They'll need to try something on Friday to open things up, and make some plays. They have just 157 passing yards on the year, and 53 of those yards came on a reverse pass from receiver Michael Patrick to quarterback James Baum. Hey it might be a trick play or two like that that could be the difference.  

Prediction - Hard to say here, as both teams have struggled this season. Looking at common opponents, both teams lost to Somerset by 27 and Central Cambria lost to Richland by 3, while Heights lost by 12.  All in all, fairly similar results.  I'm leaning with Central Cambria due to their ability to make some plays on offense. 

Red Devils 28 Highlanders 18

[center]Bishop Guilfoyle (4-0) at Forest Hills (2-2) Friday 7:00 G.H. Miller Field[/center]

Bishop Guilfoyle has been without star running back Evan Chadbourn all year. And now last week, quarterback Josh Trybus was down with an injury. His status is still unclear for this Friday also. Even with those two injuries, Guilfoyle still squeaked out a 48-3 win over Cambria Heights. Marc Conrad stepped in at quarterback and promptly went 10-14 for 141 yards. He managed the game just fine, and Andrew Irwin's three rushing touchdown performance set the tone.   BG is now up to 36 straight wins. 

Forest Hills has been up and down this season, and last week they were on the upswing for a 53-6 win over Bishop Carroll. If they are going to pull the upset here, they'll need their star sophomore quarterback to have a big game. Adam Cecere has thrown for 381 yards and rushed for 210 more, and has accounted for nine touchdowns. He's been big time, and they'll need an exceptional performance from him. Eric Elgin just had his best game of the season last week, and a solid rushing game could be a great benefit to the young quarterback. 

Prediction - Bishop Guilfoyle is just a machine. What single-A school can lose their quarterback and running back and still beat a team by 40?  Their line is just so dominant, and they have a next-man-up mentality everywhere else. Forest Hills will have their hands full this week. I'm going with Guilfoyle to make it 37 straight. 

Marauders 38 Rangers 10

[center]Somerset (2-2) at Westmont (1-3) Saturday 1:00 Trojan Stadium [/center]

Somerset dropped to 2-2 on the year following a 31-7 loss to Bishop McCort last week. The Golden Eagles had a rough day offensively, and failed to get much going at all. The passing game has been stagnant all year, and is only averaging 91 yards per game.  Austin Hemminger and George Coyle have been effective carrying the ball, but struggled last week. Somerset's defense has been solid throughout the year behind strong play from Hemminger and Ryan Funa, and they will be put to the test against Westmont on Saturday. 

Westmont made the call to go for two points against Johnstown, and failed to convert. The Hilltoppers ended up losing by one, but hung in there with one of the best teams in the league for four quarters . Westmont has run 210 offensive plays this season, and 194 of them have been called runs. We've talked about all year how they play. Some teams have stopped it, others haven't. In the end, this team is only 1-3, but a dangerous 1-3 team as they proved last week. 

Prediction - Truthfully, this game should be pretty even. Both teams are flawed in some ways, but have skilled players that can make plays. I think it'll be a back and forth affair, and I'm leaning with the home team, although Somerset winning would not surprise me. 

Hilltoppers 34 Gold Eagles 32 

[center]GAME OF THE WEEK[/center]

[center]Bedford (3-1) at Bishop McCort (3-1) Friday 7:00 Point Stadium[/center]

After a season opening loss to Bishop Guilfoyle, Bedford has been rolling through the competition. They have outscored their past three opponents by a total of 128-27. Davis Kline has been playing very well in his first season as the starting quarterback, as he has accounted for 8 touchdowns.  He was 10-12 for 129 passing yards and 2 scores last week against Richland. Chris Ellis has been solid at running back, and chipped in 2 touchdowns against the Rams last Friday. The defense has been on fire this season as well, they have accounted for 15 (!) sacks this year as a team.  They get after it. 

Bishop McCort bounced back from their loss to Bishop Guilfoyle with a convincing 31-7 win over Somerset. The Crushers nearly pitched a shutout before allowing a late touchdown to Somerset. McCort has been using a balanced attack offensively.  Ten different players have crossed the goal line for McCort overall, but it's been all about the Carnell Andrews and Anthony Walters show.  The junior running back tandem have combined for 13 touchdowns this season. Levi Cook also factors into the rushing game, and has made some big throws this season. 

Prediction - If you look at the Bishop Guilfoyle common opponent factor, both teams battled but ended up losing 18 and 17 respectively. Other than that, both teams have been dominant in their other games. This just has the makings of a good football game. I think both teams like to play the same way. Bedford hits you with a more traditional option attack, while McCort has an offense that can hit you a number of different weapons but is also option based. It'll all be about who can make that extra stop, since I think both teams will make big runs on offense.  In close games like this, I side with the home team. 

Crimson Crushers 35 Bisons 31
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: LHAC Football Forecast Week Five

Post by Manfred »

Good write up, as usual. However, how will FH score 10 points? They don't kick FG's, and wont get a safety. Heck, they'll be lucky to even score at all against the Juggernaut.
It ain't over until it's over.