Week Five District Six Class AA Power Rankings

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Week Five District Six Class AA Power Rankings

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

1. Ligonier Valley 5-0 Defeated United 57-0  Next up: West Shamokin  Last Week: #1

Collin Smith has thrown for over 1,000 yards and 17 touchdowns to just no interceptions through five games.  Those are video game numbers for the WVU commitment. Ligonier hasn't really been tested yet, as they are outscoring their opponents 273-12. They should roll to 6-0 this week over Heritage Conference newcomer West Shamokin. 

2. Bishop McCort 4-1 Defeated Bedford 42-0  Next up: @ Richland   Last Week: #2

I think you could make a case for Bishop McCort at number one, they've been pretty impressive in their own right. The Crushers went into last week's game expecting a close battle, but they shut down Bedford and routed the Bisons 42-0. They have a cross-town game at rival Richland on Friday night in hopes of moving to 5-1. 

3. Bellwood-Antis 4-1 Defeated Moshannon Valley 49-14  Next up: @ Williamsburg  Last Week: #3

Many thought Bellwood would see a close game with Moshannon Valley, but that wasn't the case. The Blue Devils just absolutely steamrolled through the defending conference champs. They have a tricky game with Williamsburg coming up, but if they play like the way they did last week, they really shouldn't have a problem. 

4. Mt. Union 4-1 Defeated West Branch 57-40  Next up: Glendale   Last Week: #4

Mount Union exploded for 57 points, but it wasn't a cakewalk. West Branch came ready to play and it was a narrow 28-24 halftime lead for the Trojans, but they were able to maintain their offense output for four quarters. Daunte Martin chipped in a whooping 265 rushing yards and four touchdowns in a career day for him.  They see a struggling 0-5 Glendale team this Friday, and will likely improve to 5-1. 

5. Westmont 2-3 Defeated Somerset 34-7  Next up: @ Bedford  Last Week: Not Ranked

Westmont gets back into the rankings by virtue of beating AAAA Somerset in a convincing fashion.  After the top four teams, there seems to be a bit of a revolving door including Westmont, Richland, West Branch, and West Shamokin.  I'll give the Hilltoppers the nod for this week. They have a tough game at Bedford on Friday, but they are certainly capable of winning. 
timex13
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Week Five District Six Class AA Power Rankings

Post by timex13 »

Call me crazy, but I do not think LV beats BM at Mansion for the D6 title come November.
DCor50
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DCor50 »

Call me crazy, but LV and BM aren't shoe ins for the D6 Title game either.  Bellwood is playing well and if they win out, it's very tough to play at Bellwood in November.  Also, Westmont just pounded the same Somerset team that Bishop McCort beat that catapulted the Crushers to the title game.  Mt Union isn't a push over either...there are 7 more weeks of football to be played before the D6 title game...a lot can and will happen in the next month and a half...
timex13
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by timex13 »

DCor50 wrote:Call me crazy, but LV and BM aren't shoe ins for the D6 Title game either.  Bellwood is playing well and if they win out, it's very tough to play at Bellwood in November.  Also, Westmont just pounded the same Somerset team that Bishop McCort beat that catapulted the Crushers to the title game.  Mt Union isn't a push over either...there are 7 more weeks of football to be played before the D6 title game...a lot can and will happen in the next month and a half...
I felt this way about BM even before the season, what they have done the past two weeks to Somerset and Bedford just further solidifies how I feel. Also, until LV proves they can do it in the postseason it's difficult for me to pick them. I'd take BM or BA over them. 
ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ChrisKentRam »

timex13 wrote:
DCor50 wrote:Call me crazy, but LV and BM aren't shoe ins for the D6 Title game either.  Bellwood is playing well and if they win out, it's very tough to play at Bellwood in November.  Also, Westmont just pounded the same Somerset team that Bishop McCort beat that catapulted the Crushers to the title game.  Mt Union isn't a push over either...there are 7 more weeks of football to be played before the D6 title game...a lot can and will happen in the next month and a half...
I felt this way about BM even before the season, what they have done the past two weeks to Somerset and Bedford just further solidifies how I feel. Also, until LV proves they can do it in the postseason it's difficult for me to pick them. I'd take BM or BA over them. 
Yeah, obviously this BM team has proven themselves in the playoffs... Oh wait...
deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by deepcreek »

He's got a point.  BM has the athletes to match up, but it is hard to tell at this point.  LV is just so far outclassing their opponents, it is hard to get a take on areas of weakness.   Should be an interesting matchup if it happens.