LHAC Football Forecast Week Six

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

LHAC Football Forecast Week Six

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

[left]I went 5-1 last week to bring my season total to 25-5. Some games were a little closer than anticipated. I was impressed with Westmont's win over Somerset, and how they handled the Golden Eagles.  I also expected the Bedford-McCort game to be a whole lot closer than it was, big statement for the Crushers to win 42-0. I was also way wrong on the Heights-Central Cambria game. Cambria Heights played very well, and they shiuld get credit for that. [/left]

[center]Bishop McCort (4-1) at Richland (2-3) Friday 7:00 Herlinger Field[/center]

[left]Since the loss to Bishop Guilfoyle a few weeks ago, McCort has been clicking on all cylinders. The Crushers pitched a shutout last week over a solid Bedford team, and looked very good in all aspects. The Crushers have used a solid three pronged attack on offense with senior quarterback Levi Cook along with junior running backs Anthony Walters and Carnell Andrews. No one player is dominating the stat line, and they've been winning games with multiple people making plays. The defense has been very sound as well, giving up just 8.8 points per game.[/left]

[left]Richland comes into this game on a bit of a slide having lost their past two games. The Rams have been struggling to put point on the board, and they have been rotating schemes and personnel trying to find the best one. Ethan Dabbs is the team's leading passer and rusher, but did not play against the Trojans and his status is unknown for Friday. Without him, sophomore Joe Hauser has been handling the quarterbacking duties. Noah Wanko, Brady Thomas, and Caleb Burke have all been getting consistent touches on offense as well. The defense is young, as they have freshmen and sophomores in key spots, and they have been going through some growing pains. [/left]

[left]Prediction - In rivalry games, anything can happen. Still, if you look at this one it shouldn't be too close. McCort has more weapons on offense, and the ability to slow down Richland. I look for the Crushers to roll in this one. [/left]

[left]Crimson Crushers 38 Rams 7[/left]

[center]Forest Hills (2-3) at Cambria Heights (1-4) Friday 7:00[/center]

[left]Forest Hills was on the wrong side of a 45-0 outcome against Bishop Guilfoyle on Friday night. The Rangers just couldn't get anything going against the Marauders and dropped to 2-3.  Sophomore Adam Cecere had a rough go at it last week, but is still this team's premier offensive weapon. They will need him doing what he does best this weekend, and that's making plays with his arm and legs. The defense has had their struggles in recent weeks, and will need a unit led by Eric Elgin and Nick Peretin to have strong games on Friday. [/left]

[left]Cambria Heights scored their first win of the season last week. The Highlanders used a dominant rushing attack to overwhelm the Red Devils. Sophomore Cody Stockley had his best game of his young career with 25 carries for 123 yards and a touchdown. He was complimented by Alex Hite's 85 yards and James Baum's 79 yards. If Cambria Heights can establish the line of scrimmage like they did last week, they will be tough to stop. [/left]

[left]Prediction - This could be a tough game for both sides. I think Forest Hills has more speed and offensive weapons, but Cambria Heights has a team built to control the line of scrimmage and run the ball. I'm leaning with Forest Hills in this one. I think they have a little more balance to make some plays. Cambria Heights has not shown the ability to throw the ball this season, and that can hold them back in a close game. [/left]

[left]Rangers 22 Highlanders 14[/left]

[center]Johnstown (5-0) at Somerset (2-3) Friday 7:00[/center]

[left]Johnstown improved to 5-0 last week with a 43-12 win over Richland.  The Trojans have been riding the efforts of Bryce Gibson all season long, and he's been producing at a high level. The senior running back has 728 yards and 8 touchdowns at the halfway point of the season. Austin Barber has also given Johnstown a dynamic aerial attack, and he has 720 passing yards and 10 scores on the season. The Johnstown defense led by Exree Loe and Shamar Jones has been really good also. This is a complete team, and looking as good as any team in the District Six region so far this season. [/left]

[left]Somerset dropped to 2-3 last week, and come into this showdown having lost two straight. Normally when the two largest schools in the LHAC get together it's a big game, but it looks like Somerset will be a decided underdog on Friday.  The Golden Eagles' offense has been very limited in recent weeks, mustering just two touchdowns in the past two games. The strength of this team is still with the running efforts of seniors Austin Hemminger and George Coyle. [/left]

[left]Prediction - It's hard to pick against Johnstown right now. The Trojans can run it and throw it, and have a fast defense that closes running lanes quickly. For Somerset to have a chance, they will need to control the line of scrimmage and run the ball. I just don't see them slowing down this Johnstown offense right now. [/left]

[left]Trojans 34 Golden Eagles 7[/left]

[center]Westmont (2-3) at Bedford (3-2) Friday 7:00[/center]

[left]Westmont picked up a huge win last week over Somerset. The Hilltoppers used a four touchdown performance from sophomore running back, Camden Moors. The Hilltoppers have a two-headed monster at running back with Moors (430 yards 7 TDs) and Ian Valente (617 yards 7 TDs), and they have been the key force on offense all season long. Westmont can control the time of possession and play smash-mouth football with the best of them. The Hilltoppers probably played their best defensive game of the season last week, and will look for a similar effort against Bedford on Friday. [/left]

[left]Some thought Bedford could beat Bishop McCort, or at the very least compete. They were not able to do so, and now they are back to the drawing board for this week. The Bisons have had success with their option offense this season. Davis Kline has been strong in both throwing the ball and running it.  Chris Ellis, Brayden Shaffer, and Andrew May have all been capable ball carries as well. They should be able to post some points against Westmont on Friday. Defensively, Tanner Coughenour is arguably the best linebacker in the LHAC, and he should be in the middle of a lot of plays against the Westmont ground attack.[/left]

[left]Prediction - Big swing game for both sides. Bedford may need it more with less teams in the playoff field for AAA, though it's still a bit to label a game "must win" just yet. I think it has the chance to be a close game. Both teams should be able to move the ball offensively. I'll go with the home team in this one. [/left]

[left]Bisons 24 Hilltoppers 20[/left]

[center]Central Cambria (0-5) vs. Bishop Carroll (0-5) Friday 7:00[/center]

[left]Central Cambria went into a showdown last week with a fellow winless team, and came out on the wrong end in a game with Cambria Heights. Now the Red Devils head into this week against their neighbors in hopes of picking up their first win. The Red Devils will need their passing game to be working on Friday. Junior Quarterback Justin Bezek has thrown for 575 yards and 4 touchdowns this season. Luke Bennett and Will Davis have been his favorite targets. They'll need to score points this week, as the defense has struggled mightily this season. [/left]

[left]Bishop Carroll stood no chance against Penn Cambria last week. The Huskies are now 0-5 with five lopsided losses on the year. They are looking at their best chance at a win for the first time this season. The team should be extra motivated playing in a rivalry game. Nate Krug had some success throwing the ball last week, and I look for the Huskies to try to open the passing game on the Red Devils.[/left]

[left]Prediction - Neither team is having a memorable season, but of course both programs still want this game for bragging rights. I think it should be a competitive game, but I'm leaning with Central Cambria. [/left]

[left]Red Devils 28 Huskies 14[/left]

[center]GAME OF THE WEEK[/center]

[center]Penn Cambria (4-1) at Bishop Guilfoyle (5-0) Saturday 7:00 Mansion Park[/center]

[left]Penn Cambria is off to their best start since 2012. The Panthers have been rolling since their opening week loss to Johnstown, winning every game by at least four touchdowns. The story this season for the Panthers has been the play of senior tailback, Nick Hite. He has 14 touchdowns this year, 11 on the ground, 1 receiving, and 2 punt returns. Hite has been one of the most versatile weapons in the LHAC through five weeks. Garrett Martynuska has been steady at quarterback, but may be asked to make some more throws this week against a tough Guilfoyle defense. The trick to winning could be spreading the ball out on the bigger and stronger Marauders. [/left]

[left]Bishop Guilfoyle has won 37 straight games, the 7th best active streak in the United States. Their body of work speaks for itself. They rolled over Forest Hills 45-0 last week without their starting quarterback Josh Trybus. Mark Conrad has been near automatic in his place. Conrad was 9-10 for 209 yards and four touchdowns last week. Luke Frederick caught two of those touchdown passes, and the big 6'6" tight end is showing what a matchup problem he can be. Andrew Irwin has been consistent running the ball all year long. They can just beat you in so many ways. The defense has been allowing just 8 points per game. Not quite as dominant as last season, but still very very good. [/left]

[left]Prediction - Bishop Guilfoyle has risen to every occasion this season. Teams have been giving them good shots each week, but the Marauders seem to be ready for it every time. Penn Cambria is skilled, Hite is a terrific player, and they have a good group pf players around him, Certainly not a one man show, but they'll need a big day from him.  Bishop Guilfoyle is just so sound. They have a different identity than the previous two seasons, but the formula is the same. I'm still having a tough time picking against them. [/left]

[left]Marauders 35 Panthers 14[/left]