District Six Boys Basketball Power Rankings 1/1/2017

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

District Six Boys Basketball Power Rankings 1/1/2017

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

[center]AAAAAA[/center]

[left]1. State College 6-2[/left]
[left]State College humbled Shaler of the WPIAL and scored an impressive win over Del-Val Charter last week.  DVC is a top ten team at the AAA level out of the Philadelphia Public League.  They have a big showdown on Friday night as they travel to 7-2 Carlisle of District Three. [/left]

[left]2. Altoona 3-3[/left]
[left]Altoona split a pair of rivalry games last week.  They managed to fend off Bishop Guilfoyle in the opener of the Sheetz Tournament. They then fell to Hollidaysburg in the title round, but they'll get a shot at redemption on Wednesday as they make the quick trip to visit the Golden Tigers. Altoona also welcomes Erie Central Tech on Friday night.  [/left]

[left]3. Mifflin County 2-6[/left]
[left]Mifflin County picked up their second win of the season with a 66-43 victory over Shikellamy.  They dropped an overtime contest by three to Lewisburg, and played Central Mountain tough.  Things seem to be picking up for Mifflin County after a rough 0-4 start.  [/left]
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: District Six Boys Basketball Power Rankings 1/1/2017

[center]AAAAA[/center]
[left]1. Hollidaysburg 6-3[/left]
[left]Big week for Hollidaysburg as they overcame a big deficit to defeat Johnstown then went onto knock off Altoona to win the Sheetz Tournament. They have home games with Altoona and Windber this week. [/left]

[left]2. Central Mountain 4-1[/left]
[left]Central Mountain picked up a win over Mifflin County last week. They have three games on the slate this week starting tomorrow with Huntingdon. They welcome Williamsport to town on Wednesday in what will be a very difficult test. [/left]

[left]3. Bellefonte 2-5[/left]
[left]Bellefonte picked up a quality win over Penns Valley to get win number two.  They lost to Juniata later in the week by six, but they get a rematch with Juniata tomorrow night. Dubois and Tyrone will also visit Bellefonte this week. [/left]
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

[center]AAAA[/center]
[left]1. Forest Hills 5-1[/left]
[left]Forest Hills assumes the top spot after winning the Boswell Jaycess tournament in convincing fashion.  The Rangers travel to undefeated Bishop McCort on Wednesday night in a big LHAC showdown. [/left]

[left]2. Johnstown 2-2[/left]
[left]Johnstown lost both of their games in the Sheetz Tournament.  We'll see how they respond this week with three home games against Bishop Guilfoyle, Penn Cambria, and Westmont. [/left]

[left]3. Tyrone 5-3[/left]
[left]The Golden Eagles handled Tussey Mountain last week, but then dropped one to Penn Cambria to fall to 5-3.  The Golden Eagles travel to Bellefonte Friday night. [/left]
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

[center]AAA[/center]
[left]1. Westmont 5-3[/left]
[left]Westmont only had one game last week, and the doubled up West Branch 82-41. They get a home game with Cambria Heights and travel to neighboring Johnstown on Friday night.  [/left]

[left]2. Central Cambria 6-1[/left]
[left]Central Cambria took care of business in the County Seat Tournament by winning games over Blairsville and Bishop Carroll.  The Red Devils travel to Bedford then get to host Bishop Guilfoyle in a huge section I LHAC game game. [/left]

[left]3. Juniata 6-0[/left]
[left]Juniata bested North East of District 10 and then Bellefonte to win the Penns Valley tournament.  They travel to Bellefonte tomorrow in a quick rematch. [/left]

[left]4. Penns Valley 5-2[/left]
[left]The Rams went 1-1 last week, picking up a win over North East.  They go to Saint Joseph's on Wednesday before hosting Bellwood on Friday. [/left]

[left]5. Bellwood-Antis 5-2[/left]
[left]Bellwood dropped a close one a close one to Penn Cambria before thrashing Tussey Mountain the next day.  The remain in the rankings for now, but Penn Cambria is right there and may have turned the corner. [/left]
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

[center]AA[/center]
[left]1. Bishop McCort 5-0 [/left]
[left]Bishop McCort won the Windber Rotary Tournament over Somerset on an Imil Britt buzzer beater to remain undefeated. The Crushers host Forest Hills on Wednesday and make the quick trip to Richland on Friday in two big LHAC games. [/left]

[left]2. Moshannon Valley 7-0[/left]
[left]Moshannon Valley had a pair of easy wins to capture the Cambria Heights Holiday Tournament. They head to Philipsburg and Glendale this week in what should be two easy wins. [/left]

[left]3. Bishop Guilfoyle 2-1[/left]
[left]Bishop Guilfoyle dropped one to Altoona, but then went on to handle Johnstown in a big statement victory.  They get the Trojans again this week, but it'll be in Johnstown.  They also have to go to Central Cambria in a pivotal Section I battle. [/left]

[left]4. Penns Manor 6-2[/left]
[left]Penns Manor is now riding a four game winning streak.  Their most recent win came over Portage on the road, a big time win for the Comets.  They go to West Shamokin and play host to Marion Center this week. [/left]

[left]5. Portage 6-1[/left]
[left]The Mustangs knocked off a solid United team, but fell to Penns Manor in the title game of their tournament.  They host Shanksville on Tuesday, in a game featuring two of the best teams in the WestPac. [/left]
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

[center]A[/center]
[left]1. Saltsburg 7-0[/left]
[left]Saltsburg just keeps on rolling as they beat WPIAL teams Leechburg and Apollo-Ridge last week. Nate Porter had a nice week with 23 and 24 points in their two wins. They host Blairsville this week with the hopes of moving to 8-0. [/left]

[left]2. Ferndale 7-1[/left]
[left]The Yellow Jackets took a quick setback as they lost to Bishop Carroll in the County Seat tournament.  I still decided to keep them ahead of Bishop Carroll for now. They should get to 9-1 with games against Rockwood and North Star coming up this week. [/left]

[left]3. Bishop Carroll 3-4[/left]
[left]The Huskies are starting to piece some things together, and they scored a big win over Ferndale. They go to Richland and Forest Hills this week, both should be tough tests. [/left]

[left]4. Williamsburg 4-3[/left]
[left]Williamsburg grabbed a win over Philipsburg-Osceola to start the week. They lost to Central by 10 to finish the week. They have a road game with Claysburg-Kimmel on the docket this week. [/left]
ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ChrisKentRam »

Very nice job with the rankings Crimson. I would like to get this thread going, but there isn't much to disagree with. The main thing that sticks out to me is I would definitely put Bishop Guilfoyle ahead of Moshannon Valley. Mo Valley has a  nice team, but Guilfoyle is/will definitely be better by the time these two teams would have to play each other.  

In Triple A I believe Central Cambria would beat Westmont if they would meet again. However, Westmont deserves to be ahead of them right now in the rankings. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

I really liked what I saw from Moshannon Valley last season, they're going to have a big record come playoff time. 
PortagePride
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by PortagePride »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:I really liked what I saw from Moshannon Valley last season, they're going to have a big record come playoff time. 
From what I've seen the Knights were definitely a better rounded squad last season. However they're still talented this year especially if the big boy in the middle Holobinko(sp?) gets going. AA is McCort's to lose in MY opinion, but I'm sure the athletic Marauders will have something to say about that before it's said and done.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Holobinko is very big, and pretty skilled. That's definitely their best asset. They'll miss Sherkel's toughness and defense, but he wasn't a big scoring threat.

McCort isn't overly deep, but they have three good guards and they are playing a full-court press this year which matches their athleticism.

Guilfoyle has kids that know how to win, and they just handled Johnstown the other day. Nobody will want to play them come playoff time.