Pirates vs. Reds Open Thread

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Pirates vs. Reds Open Thread

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I don't think there's much you can do with Glasnow. There's not much more he can accomplish in the minors, but if he can't throw a strike he isn't helping in the majors.
The upside is there, it may take a couple of starts for him to settle in.   Judging by Searage and Hurdle's body language last night, they weren't pleased with Glasnow at all and expect much more of him.  He's always had control issues, but last night was ridiculous. 
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

I had to turn the game off. Junior was watching Mickey after the first inning. The struggle was unbelievable. 5 walks and 4 hits in 1.2 innings? 4 of the walks were back to back to back to back.........add 2 stolen bases.
Hats off to LeBlanc. Didn't help that the Buccos couldn't score with the bases loaded either. First time with no outs.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
CMM52
Junior
Junior

Post by CMM52 »

The concern I have for Glasnow is he seems to be a bit of a head case. He has all of the physical talent, but not sure if he's 100% up stairs. I've said the same about Cole. The Buccos do not need two "aces" that lack mental toughness, I don't care how much "potential" is there.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

I agree, but I'd rather have guys with that kind of potential than Jeff Locke. 
Lefteyelouie
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Lefteyelouie »

I agree on Cole.  I think he lacks it mentally.  I haven't seen enough of Glasnow yet to know...   I swear Pirate broadcast are getting on my nerves though.  It was like Bob Walk had a quota he had to hit for praising Cole....  In my mind the freaking "Ace" has given up like 8 runs over 9 innings??  Let's call it like it is!  
I don't want to hear Cole is still young either....
CMM52
Junior
Junior

Post by CMM52 »

Yea, in 2015 he posted a 2.60 ERA but followed that up with a relatively poor performance in the wild card game. Since then you can def see he just doesn't have the mental make up of a dominant pitcher. He always seems to have something else to blame or something else to point to for his struggles. End of the day I just don't think he's worth top of the rotation money. I agree Glasnow needs some time, but there is no doubt his control issues are all mental because when he's right, he's almost unhittable.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

He always seems to have something else to blame?  He does.  It's called a sore arm.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Excuses tend to come up for Cole when he performs bad.  

"Stewart wasn't catching"

"He was facing a tough lineup on the road"

"It was a couple of bad bounces"

I'm guilty of it as much as anyone. I like Cole.  He was a top 5 pitcher in the NL in 2015. I think he can repeat that performance.  It's frustrating he hasn't pitched well since the wild card game against the Cubs.  I'm not sure if it's mental or physical. Last year he didn't seem right physically. Not sure if that's carried into this season. 
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Reds 6, Bucs 2. Says it all.
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Bats need to wake up for the Pirates.  I think they miss Kang big time. 

Pirates and Cardinals both with lackluster starts to the season. Chicago could have the division wrapped up here soon.