Very Early Preseason District Six Football Rankings

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Very Early Preseason District Six Football Rankings

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Fballrules17 wrote:Fortunately for them there isn't another Steel Valley this year in the WPIAL, so if they can get past SC this year they would have a shot.
Steel Valley is expected to be very good again.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Manfred wrote:
youngbuck wrote:
Manfred wrote: Expecting 6-4.  Any more will be gravy.
??? BG and Johnstown.  Who else are you expecting them to lose to?  
Some may know more about FH's opponents than I do, but 6-4 is my conservative estimate.  They could be 7-3, 8-2.  I could see them having a bad game when the opponent is on their game, and -could-....-could-....lose to Somerset this week, CH, and Bedford.  That along with the 2 you mentioned, would be 5-5 again.
I think they will handle Bedford, but I believe Somerset is improved from last year and last year's FH/S game was tight. Their line play was impressive. Cambria Heights also beat Forest Hills last year and didn't lose much from that team. Forest Hills will be competitive as usual though. 
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 223113 »

Fballrules17 wrote:
223113 wrote:BG has the most important ingredient for a successful football team,...a big, strong, athletic, quick, experienced  Offensive Line.
Yeah that helps.  They also have 7 or 8 guys that run sub 4.7 in the 40, 13 guys that are listed at 6'2 or taller, and a roster in the mid 50's.  I'd say they've got a pretty good shot at repeating.  It's funny the best small school game out there this year would be BG vs LV.  Unfortunately, LV will beat up on single A teams and a couple of bad to average AA's for the next 9 weeks.  Then they'll trade places with BG and they'll beat them up for the following 5 weeks until they get another ring.  LV will steamroll through D6AA again.  Fortunately for them there isn't another Steel Valley this year in the WPIAL, so if they can get past SC this year they would have a shot.
Agreed. 
You obviously need more than just a great line. I wasn't implying that a line cures all ills. But, I've seen teams with good players at the "skill" positions, and not much of a line, or a line decimated with injuries,....it's pretty tough sledding when it's, "take the snap and run for your life, coz here they come!" 
When you put 5 studs up front, even average backs become better, and average QB's have time to find Receivers to throw to.
In BG's case, their skill players are already good. Put that line in front of them, and they have the opportunity to become great. They wear teams down in the course of a game. A D-line of 150-180 pound kids, going against 250-285 pound kids,...it's just a matter of time.
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 223113 »

FH had pretty good O-lines in 2009 and 2010. They won District Championships those 2 years.
FH has had some pretty good skill players over the past 6 years, but this year's FH O-line, in my opinion, is/will be better than any they've had over the past 6 seasons. To your point though, Fballrules17, it's just 1 ingredient, 1 piece of the puzzle. But, I think it's the most important piece.
Fballrules17
Junior
Junior

Post by Fballrules17 »

To your point though, Fballrules17, it's just 1 ingredient, 1 piece of the puzzle. But, I think it's the most important piece.

Yep, I agree.  My point is they are good everywhere.  No weaknesses.  No one in Single A has the depth, speed, height, size, and O'line to match up.  Granted they won't see real speed until they get to Hershey (Rochester, Jeannette, or Clairton) but none of those teams have close to the line that BG does, or the long edge guys that BG Has, or the depth.  Go ahead and order the fancy rings now.  If they choose to stay in single A in 18-19 you might as well get sets of three and save on the cost.

Steel Valley will be really good.  I just don't think they'll mercy rule all 15 opponents again.  I think Neshannock, East Allegheny,  and maybe one or two more can play with them for four quarters.   I may be wrong.  We'll see. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

They might not mercy rule all 15 games, but Steel Valley is still the favorite in AA in the WPIAL.  The kid that had the 5 touchdown game in the state championship is still around, along with a few other playmakers. Obviously Paris Ford is gone, but they're still going to be tough.

I'm skeptical of East Allegheny, TJ Banks is really good but they don't have a lot around him. They lost to Jeannette last week. 
Pafootball22
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Pafootball22 »

I heard steel valley is playing up to aaa? Anyone else know if this is true or not
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Pafootball22 wrote:I heard steel valley is playing up to aaa? Anyone else know if this is true or not
They are not, and they couldn't even if they wanted to.  The cycle is for 2 years, and since the new 6 classifications started last year they are still on a AA cycle.