LHAC Football Forecast Week 0

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

LHAC Football Forecast Week 0

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

[center]Bishop McCort at Bishop Carroll Friday 7:00[/center]
Bishop McCort is coming off a 10 win season in 2016 before losing to Ligonier in the District Six AA final. Brian Basile's squad will likely be one of the main contenders to knock Ligonier off the AA throne this season.  The Crushers lose some impact guys and are dealing with an injury to all-everything fullback/middle linebacker Anthony Walters.  Still with veteran players like Carnell Andrews, Zach Goins, Devin Nau, and Ridge Phillips, the Crushers should be able to weather the storm until Walters is back. 

Bishop Carroll is looking to snap a current 21 game losing streak, after back to back 0-10 seasons. New head coach Sean Billings is an ex-player for the Huskies, and will be tasked with turning thing around in Ebensburg. He has a 29 man roster heading into Carroll's last football season as a member of the LHAC. 

Bottom Line - Bishop McCort certainly has some things to work out, most notably the quarterback position and finding a way to overcome the loss of Walters, still they have an experienced team in other places and they should be able to beat a struggling Bishop Carroll program.  It was a 68-0 final last season, I don't expect it to get that out of hand again, but it's hard to imagine Carroll hangs within a few scores either. 

Crimson Crushers 35 Huskies 0

[center]Greater Johnstown at Penn Cambria Friday 7:00[/center]

Johnstown had a record setting year that saw them advance the whole way to the state quarterfinal in Class AAAA. The Trojans lose some key components from that team, but return 2,000 yard passer Austin Barber to anchor the offense.  The dual-threat senior is a very good quarterback, but will be surrounded by new play makers in 2017 and it may take time to click.  Defensively, the Trojans have two of the best in the District with Shamar Jones and Darrian Berkins.  The Trojans are likely going to have another big season. 

Penn Cambria welcomes legendary coach, John Franco to run their program.  Franco is one of two District Six coaches to ever bring home a state championship, and he will be tasked to rebuild a struggling Panthers' football program.  Penn Cambria opened last year with a 4-1 start, but closed the year with 5 losses and missed the postseason.  They lose most of their production from that team, so it'll be a new look in Cresson. 

Bottom Line - Penn Cambria is going to be a brand new team from the coach down to the personnel, and it's hard to see them hanging with the defending AAAA champs in week one.  Johnstown has a strong defense, and a senior quarterback that will carry the offense in the early season.  I expect to see the Trojans to roll. 

Trojans 49  Panthers 6 

[center]Bedford at Bishop Guilfoyle Saturday 7:00[/center]

Bishop Guilfoyle owns the nation's fifth longest winning streak at 47 games.  They have won the past three Class A state championships, and they are the current favorites to do that once again.  Bishop Guilfoyle will need to replace starters at running back and quarterback, but as always they have the next man up mentality.  Mark Conrad played some QB last year and figures to be the man this year, and Mike Berrish took some carries and should be the featured back this season.  They once again have a big and imposing line, and should be able to control the line of scrimmage in most of the games they play. 

Bedford is coming off a 6-6 season in 2016. They return Davis Kline at quarterback, who led the team in passing and rushing last season.  Look for Dylan Arnold to push for a lot of touches as the top running back, and senior Tyler Dawson should be Kline's top target in the passing game.  Bedford should have a solid offense, but they lost the heart and soul of their defense to graduation in Tanner Coughenour, will they be able to overcome that?  

Bottom Line - Bedford hung with Bishop Guilfoyle a bit last season in the opener, but that game was at home, and that could change things a bit.  Still, while Guilfoyle will be a heavy favorite in this game, they will be working in some new starters and if there's ever a time to catch them off guard, it may be in week one.  I'm not going to be the one to call the upset however.  Bishop Guilfoyle is likely the real deal once again, even with some changes. 

Marauders 38  Bisons 12

[center]Central Cambria at Somerset Friday 7:00[/center]

Central Cambria turns a new chapter in their program by hiring Shane McGregor to be their head coach.  McGregor was a star quarterback for the Red Devils 10 years ago and looks to turn things back around in Ebensburg.  The offense will center around senior quarterback Justin Bezek.  The Red Devils will also have to find ways to get Luke Bennett the ball as well.  The big key here, however is fixing the defense. 

Somerset is coming off a 5-5 campaign in 2016. They lose a lot of their offensive production and will have to rely on some different players this season. Cam Coddington split time at QB last season, but will be the main man there this season. Ryan Funa is one of the best linebackers in the area, but will be expected to have a bigger role on offense this season. 

Bottom Line - Central Cambria has some buzz with a new coach, but they are still coming off a 1-9 season.  Turning it around may take some time, they'll be better, but it won't happen overnight.  I like Somerset in this one.  They have a few more playmakers. 

Golden Eagles 34  Red Devils 14

[center]Richland at Cambria Heights Friday 7:00[/center]

Richland is coming off a 3-7 season, but with a young roster that is mostly returning, it could mean for a better year in 2017.  The Rams will turn to sophomore Caleb Burke to lead their spread offense.  He played well at times as a freshman and is a good athlete that will only get better. Also a catalyst for this team will likely be senior Ethan Dabbs, who is a bruiser at 6'2" 230, but can line up all over the place. 

Cambria Heights finished last year at 4-7, but that doesn't tell the whole story.  The Highlanders bounced back after an 0-4 start and showed signs of improvement throughout the year.  Heights returns nearly everyone from last year, and they are expected to take another leap forward this season. 

Bottom Line - This game features a pair of teams that finished last season with losing records, but both of these teams have the chance to turn that around this season.  I look for this to be one of the more competitive games this weekend, but I'm going to give it to the home team in this one. 

Highlanders 28  Rams 17

[center]Game of The Week[/center]
[center]Westmont at Forest Hills Friday 7:00[/center]

Westmont is coming off back to back 7 win seasons, and the days of them being a pushover are seemingly over.  Pat Barron runs a pretty unique offense of strictly running the ball right up the middle. Sounds weird, but it can be awfully effective.  With 1,000 yard rusher Camden Moors returning, expect more of the same this season. 

Forest Hills has been in a rut lately of 5-6 seasons, but now it's seemingly time for the Rangers to return towards the top of the conference.  Adam Cecere is a special talent at quarterback and he can make a ton of plays and his top target Jon Long is back for his senior year.  This team should be able to score points. 

Bottom Line - This was a really fun game last season. Westmont edged the Rangers in the opener last year by a score of 45-34.  Westmont attempted one pass the whole game, and rushed it 45 times for 440 yards.  Conversely, Adam Cecere tossed 5 touchdowns for the Rangers.  I expect that contrast to happen again.  Westmont might not have the same line as last year, they'll still be big up front and will try to impose their will.  They also have some backs capable of making plays.  On the other hand, Forest Hills is a bit undersized up front but they have the athletes and the quarterback to spread it around.  I like the matchup for both teams.

I think this will be another good game like last year, but I'm going to take the home team. 

Rangers 36  Hilltoppers 27
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: LHAC Football Forecast Week 0

Post by Manfred »

Ranks right up there with all your other capsule reports. Well done.
It ain't over until it's over.
kmr
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by kmr »

BM 42 BC 0
Johnstown 35 PC 0 
BG 42 Bedford 6
CC 24 Somerset 21
CH 28 Richland 13
FH 35 Westmont 13
Pigskin
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Pigskin »

It's great that week one is upon us and the pigskin will be in the air in less than 24 hours. I find the football forecast to be pretty accurate with my thinking as well. As reading through the Johnstown Penn Cambria post one thing sticks out to me is that penn Cambria seems to be struggling this season with numbers as well as performance on the field. I understand the scrimmage was a huge disappointment that Bedford put six maybe seven TDs on the Panthers. That brings me to my point of you hear so much about how coaches make a great team, but if you have a legendary coach like John Franco why can't you just win them all regardless of the players. Being and avid football fan and high school football fanatic I do believe that John Franco left Altoona with a crumbling team in the 90s was brought back by a group of Players in the late 90s and early 2000's while Franco was winning state titles with the Jimmy's and Joe's at Tyrone. He returned back to Altoona to leave the program in shambles again and goes to Saint Joe's for what may be the money? And then on to Penn Cambria were his friend and principal jim Abbott brings him into the picture. It's also my understanding that there was numerous people who applied for the position at Penn Cambria including two highly qualified previous staff members who we're never granted an interview! It seems like they just shoed Franco in the door maybe that's the way high school sports work these days. Or maybe it is the way politics work? Maybe I am wrong with my insight on this matter. The Trojans head coach who appears to be a classy guy will have to hold the Trojans off from a big shutout in panther territory.
I do believe that the Bedford BG game could turn into being a real physical football game Saturday night at mansion Park. Don't underestimate Bedford they seem to always have a good group of kids who never quit.
Forest hills could be a high scoring team this year with the likes of the a quarterback running back combo. Keep an eye on the rangers!
dougkeklak
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dougkeklak »

I think Franco came back to Altoona because he wanted to make the first go-round "right" so to speak but the fallout between him and the AD as far as being in the WPIAL just couldn't be ignored.  He probably thought not much left to accomplish at Tyrone.  I was on the sideline for when they lost states his last year there, he was a cool and calm in situations as any coach I've ever seen.  That being said, there is a LOT of work to do at PC, I wouldn't expect an immediate turn around by any stretch.  If I'm a PC player, I am super excited for a chance to play for a guy with a track record like his.
Pigskin
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Pigskin »

Make it right? It's a coaches job to win or else you are on the chopping block which happened twice at Altoona.  How many times have you got letgo at a job and they hire you back for second Round? Ask Rick Hatch he's back at PC AGAIN. As far as the wpial goes it's  obviously the best of the best. My thoughts exactly on that or if you want to be the best you got to be challenged by the best. Right?  The reason altoona got out of the mid penn conference at the time was over a fight between altoona and a team  from down east during or after a game I just can't recall the exact facts. I do know Phil riccio was the decision maker of removing altoona from that conference to avoid controversy. What does that have anything to do with him and Franco. franco was hired to coach the KIDS not decide what conference they are in.  Later down the road when Altoona tried to reenter the midpenn conference he was told plainly to pound sand. Your out for good!  No other options but to  become independent or join the wpial. I would say the only downfall is with the WPI AL is travel time for the kids and parents back in for the majority of the away games or probably a two hour clIp or so! if you accomplish a couple of state titles At a school why would you ever want to leave because you felt like there was nothing more to accomplish. Ask Justin Wheeler if he feels like he has accomplished everything at BG or if he is throwing in the towel.  Or do you think the late George curry at Berwick would have ever left the team after accomplishing the state titles. Instead he died a Bulldog because he believed in his kids and was there for the right reasons.  It doesn't matter what program you inherit here nor there is simply boils down to my fact exactly is that if you don't have the Jimmy's and Joes and the kids who were meant to be football players who are tough and don't want to be beat and kids who are not selfish you will not have a winning program anywhere. 
dougkeklak
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dougkeklak »

All I meant by "make it right" was that he was not retained after, I believe a 4-6 season which ended a less than .500 career mark so he might want to come back with more success, especially in light of the success he had at Tyrone.