LHAC Football Forecast Week 3

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

LHAC Football Forecast Week 3

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

[left]I went 5-1 last week to move to 16-2 on the year.  My lone miss last week was the Johnstown-Forest Hills game, which came down to one point.  This week starts section play, not a ton of huge games this week, but the action should really pick up next week. [/left]

[center]Bishop Carroll (0-3) at Forest Hills (3-0) Friday 7:00[/center]
[left]Bishop Carroll dropped to 0-3 last week with a 35-12 loss to Bedford. The Huskies found some success on offense, but couldn't break through until after the Bisons had a comfortable lead. Junior Trevor Hogue posted 126 yards on the ground, which marked the first time this season Carroll has mustered a productive day running the ball.  Zach Bohrer and Christian Stoltz connected on some passes, but could not beat the Bedford defense for a score.  It was one of the better days Bishop Carroll had offensively, but once again the defense surrendered too many points.  They are being outscored 111-29 on the season.[/left]

Forest Hills had the win of the season in the LHAC so far by outlasting Johnstown in a thriller 29-28.  The Rangers certainly feel like they are "back" after their 3-0 start. The Rangers have had some middling .500 seasons, but now they look ready to compete for an LHAC and a District VI title.  Adam Cecere did just about everything last week as he accounted for all four touchdowns with two through the air and two rushing. He's been sensational this season, but it has not been a one man show. Jon Long has been making big plays all over the field and the Eric Elgin led defense has been stout as well.  They are getting contributions from everywhere. 

Bottom Line - All Forest Hills has to do is not look ahead and stay healthy. Everyone knows the big game with Bishop Guilfoyle is looming next week, just take care of business and the dream matchup should be set for next Saturday.

Rangers 42 Huskies 7

[center]Central Cambria (0-3) at Penn Cambria (0-3) Friday 7:00[/center]

[left]Central Cambria's aerial attack could not get anything going with a 34-0 shutout loss to Richland last week. Many anticipated a big time shootout, but the Rams' defense held the Devils in check.  Still, this team has a potent combination of Justin Bezek throwing to Luke Bennentt and Kayden Kutchman, and they should get back on track this week. [/left]

Penn Cambria could not figure out the Westmont ball control attack, and they dropped one to the Hilltoppers 14-0.  The Panthers have been shutout the past two weeks, and only have 12 points on the season. They may have trouble this week with putting too much pressure on their defense if the offense can't keep up the pace with the Red Devils passing attack.

Bottom Line - Someone is picking up their first win this week, and I'm not sure who it will be.  In rivalry games, anything can happen. Conventional wisdom has me taking Central Cambria since their offense is a bit more reliable, but the Panthers could play hard at home. Should be good game nonetheless. 

Red Devils 27 Panthers 12

[center]Johnstown (2-1) at Westmont (1-2) Saturday 1:00[/center]

[left]Johnstown lost a tough one to Forest Hills last week, but it was an instant classic. The Trojans traded blow for blow with the Rangers, but came up short 29-28. They will look to get back to their winning ways on Satuday afternoon. Johnstown's Austin Barber has been very good this season with 8 touchdowns to 2 interceptions and 4 rushing touchdowns.  He's been carrying them, as many expected.  The defense received a huge play last week as nose tackle Shamar Jones returned an interception for a touchdown. He's one of the best in the league and he can be a difference maker. [/left]

Westmont may have things sorted out. After a lopsided week one loss, the Hilltoppers nearly upset Bishop Guilfoyle then shutout Penn Cambria last week for their first win.  Westmont plays a more methodical style of football than anyone, but it can be awfully tough to stop. Tucker Kushner and Camden Moors is a solid 1-2 punch running the football. 

Bottom Line - This can be a tricky game for Johnstown, and it has been throughout the years. Westmont usually plays Johnstown really tough, especially at home.  The Trojans escaped with a one point win last year and Westmont won in 2015 22-20. I think this game will be close again, but I like the Trojans on Saturday. I just think they have one too many weapons, with the most important possibly being, Shamar Jones, who can disrupt the Westmont running game. 

Trojans 28 Hilltoppers 20

[center]Somerset (1-2) at Bishop McCort (2-1) Friday 7:00[/center]

[left]Somerset hung with Cambria Heights for a half last week, but could not keep up with the Highlanders for four quarters.  The Golden Eagles are now sitting at a 1-2 crossroads as they enter section play.  It will be a tall task heading to Bishop McCort, a team that beat them 31-7 last season. Ryan Funa's emergence on offense has been key, but they will need to get the passing game going this week as that is a possible weakness they can exploit.[/left]

Bishop McCort failed to score a point against Bishop Guilfoyle last week, and lost to the Marauders 19-0. The Crushers managed to move the ball, but sputtered in the redzone. Carnell Andrews and Anthony Walters have been very reliable on the ground so far, but the lack of diversity on offense has been an issue. Will Miller is a solid runner but hasn't shown much as a passing threat just yet.  Conversely, the Crushers have been good against the run on defense, but have allowed six passing touchdowns. 

Bottom Line - Should be a solid game. Good players for both sides, and neither team has really stood out yet.  It will be a pivotal game for both teams, and I think it'll be Bishop McCort taking this one at home. I just think the Crushers have a few more weapons. 

Crimson Crushers 28 Golden Eagles 14

[center]Bishop Guilfoyle (3-0) at Cambria Heights (2-1) Friday 7:00[/center]

[left]Bishop Guilfoyle moved their winning streak to 50 games with a 19-0 win over McCort last week. The Marauders used big passing plays and tight defense to secure the win. This team has a different identity than the previous three teams, but they still have talent across the board. Josh Yasuilitis, Mark Conrad, Max Sankey, and Mike Berish are just good offensive football players. They can be used interchangeably and they are all dangerous with the ball in their hands. [/left]

Cambria Heights got back on track with a 35-12 win over Somerset. And now, the Highlanders will make the push for the upset this week at home. It should be an jacked up atmosphere in Patton.  The Highlanders have a veteran team that can score.  Brandon Bearer has been very good at quarterback this season, and him throwing to Nick Brawley is one of the best combinations in this league. Lucas Fox, Alex Hite, Ben Fox, and Ben Yahner have all made plays this season as well.  Do they have enough firepower to knock off the three time defending state champs?  They just might.

Bottom Line - As we know right now, everyone is taking their best shot at Bishop Guilfoyle. The Marauders are a very good team, but they might not be the unbeatable force from last year.  Cambria Heights might be one of those teams that can play with BG.  I think an X-factor in this game could be trick plays. Cambria Heights is not afraid to pull the strings and come up with a trick play for a score.  

I'm not going on record predicting Heights can win, but I think they'll give Bishop Guilfoyle a tough game for four quarters. 

Marauders 34 Highlanders 22

[center]GAME OF THE WEEK[/center]
[center]Bedford (2-1) at Richland (2-1) Friday 7:00[/center]

Bedford has rebounded well after their opening week loss to Bishop Guilfoyle with wins over Central Cambria and Bishop Carroll. Still, they have not been tested in those games.  Richland should be that test. The Bedford offense can be potent. Davis Kline has thrown for 3 touchdowns and rushed for five this season, and has yet to commit a turnover. If he can operate the option offense at a high level, they can be really tough to beat. 

Richland has outscored their past two opponents by a score of 79-0. You have to give credit to this defense, as that was an Achilles heel in recent seasons. But the offense is starting to resemble some of the good Brandon Bailey coached teams form 4-5 years ago. Joey Hauser already has 618 yards passing, with four different receivers having 8 or more catches this season.  His favorite target has been Caleb Bruke, but Trevy Hardison, Joey Kavachik, and Koby Bailey have all made plays.  This can be an explosive offense.  The talent was there last year, but this added year of experience has seemingly helped. 

Bottom Line - This is a pivotal game for both teams.  Richland is looking to get back into the postseason after a three year hiatus, and Bedford is looking to jockey for position in the tight AAA race.  A win here could do wonders for both teams.  I think this is going to be a fun game with a lot of offense.  Both teams have won games but they still need a signature win, and this would be it for both squads.

I'm leaning Richland in this one as they are playing at home, but this is a true tossup.  

Rams 38 Bisons 34
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: LHAC Football Forecast Week 3

Post by youngbuck »

Kayden Kutchman from Central Cambria dislocated his shoulder last week. I take it that you have inside knowledge that he is going to play this week.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

You must have a really higher opinion of me than I do of myself haha. Because I'm not an insider, and I'm not trying to be, just a fan.  

Since you seem to have a better grasp on things, do you know why Josiah Jones is playing football now?  Or why Walters was expected to be out 6 weeks and played in game 2?  I legitimately don't know.
dougkeklak
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dougkeklak »

I think FH put on film a blueprint to effectively shut down the Westy running attack: six man front. Go goal line and dare 'em to pass?
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

dougkeklak wrote:I think FH put on film a blueprint to effectively shut down the Westy running attack: six man front.  Go goal line and dare 'em to pass?
I feel like that's always been the blueprint, but every year J-town tries to beat them with a 4-3
HSfan
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by HSfan »

B C 7
F H 45

C Cam 28
P Cam 17

G J 28
W H 14

SOM 14