Pirates vs. Padres May 17-20

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Pirates vs. Padres May 17-20

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Thursday 7:05 p.m.  -  Chad Kuhl (4-2 4.17) vs. Eric Laurer (1-2 8.27)
Friday 7:05 p.m. - Ivan Nova (2-3 5.01) vs. Tyson Ross (2-3 3.40) 
Saturday 7:05 p.m. - TBA vs. Clayton Richard (2-5 5.20)
Sunday 1:35 p.m. - Trevor Williams (5-2 2.72) vs. TBA

Padres are one of the worst teams in the NL, could be a chance to stockpile a few wins. I'm guessing Kingham will get the start on Saturday. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Pirates vs. Padres May 17-20

Hopefully Cervelli and Marte can avoid the DL here, as they both got injured on Tuesday night.  Both players have been very good this season.  

Could they survive without either?  Elias Diaz has been hitting very well this season, .383 to be exact.  Could he be serviceable as an everyday Catcher?  I think he could probably handle things for a few weeks if he needed to, but Cervelli has arguably been the team MVP to this point.  

Marte, though?  I don't know if they can really afford to miss him.  They really don't have another CF.  S-Rod and Frazer can play there in a pinch, but I don't think they are sustainable as everyday CFs.  I don't know if I'd trust Polanco or Dickerson in Center, either. But if one of them shifted to center, you could slide Osuna into an everyday role, which would hurt defensively but his bat has been solid. I guess there's always the option of calling up Austin Meadows? He's batting a respectable .281 to this point.  

As for guys currently on the DL, it sounds like Harrison is close.  He's been on a rehab assignment in Altoona.  Getting him back would be nice, adds an upgrade all around over Frazier.  Also it seems Joe Musgrove is close to joining the rotation.  Wonder who goes out of the rotation when he gets up here?  
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Top prospect Austin Meadows will be in Pittsburgh tomorrow, Marte likely to the DL. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Meadows looked sharp in his debut. Recorded two hits and stole a base. Thought his 8th inning fly out was a game-tying homer. He ripped that one pretty good.