Coronavirus this n that

General Chit-Chat, Movies/TV, No Sports Discussion. Be that guy with his crew at the coffee shop at 6 am...
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Coronavirus this n that

Post by konjo78 »

The main issue we are going to run into next is the economy and how people are going to pay bills.

As of now rent freezes or utility freezes arent in place. Everyone out of work across the country might not be able tl get evicted yet but when that lanlord comes in for 2-3 months of backpay missed youll have a much bigger crisis on hand.

Social distancing is working very well but its also causing depression and anxiety among some. You see articles saying major gathering events like concerts and pro sports shouldnt come back until fall 2021 you start setting a dangerously negative tone to some.

Companies will file for bankruptcy, some will fold completely, and there just isnt much good news being spread. Thats why there will be rioting if this stretches through summer
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Geez, konjo, a glimmer of common sense? Kudo's. All these shutdowns started with the NBA players. Maybe a few of them should say enough is enough and get together for an informal shoot-around. And when they show no one else got sick from it, the snowball will start rolling again and life can get back under way again.
It ain't over until it's over.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

$600 extra with each week of unemployment. $1200 per adult in stimulus money. No one should have any problem paying their bills for a few months.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

knowitall wrote: April 14th, 2020, 6:17 pm $600 extra with each week of unemployment. $1200 per adult in stimulus money. No one should have any problem paying their bills for a few months.
Yes and no. While that 1200 is nice to have there are many people who arent getting the same amount of money from unemployment as they would with a full time job. Places like NYC, Cali, Seattle and more have rent that is in the 2-3
4k for a 2 bedroom apartment. Plus that bolstering of unemployment still hasnt taken effect yet, a lot of states are behind on the filing/benefits.

But also that 1200 is a 1 time payment. What happens in june or july when there isnt a 2nd one and the unemployment buffer goes away? Companies that go bankrupt and shutdown are still gone. Look no further than Dick Sporting Goods, furlowed everyone with no time table to return. For all we know they could be bankrupt by june and thats thousands of jobs there across the country. There are hundreds of companies, big companies, like this.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

knowitall wrote: April 14th, 2020, 6:17 pm $600 extra with each week of unemployment. $1200 per adult in stimulus money. No one should have any problem paying their bills for a few months.
In some parts of the country, it may be enough. In others, probably not.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

We played this same game when I worked on the road. Our per diem did not change if we worked in Somerset or New York City. Can be tough to eat in the city on a low budget.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

I'd be curious to know how many people actually have a working budget from pay to pay and stick to it? That includes a 'rainy day' fund supposed to last for several months just in case of catastrophe's like this. I was fortunate- I married a bank employee, and am still married to her. She kept me straight all these many years. We live comfortably, not lavishly, and don't do things like buying a new car every other year just because our neighbors do, not buying into every new (electronic) fad that comes along. These current $15/ hr. "low-wage" employees? They're making more $$ than I -ever- did.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Manfred wrote: April 15th, 2020, 8:27 am I'd be curious to know how many people actually have a working budget from pay to pay and stick to it? That includes a 'rainy day' fund supposed to last for several months just in case of catastrophe's like this. I was fortunate- I married a bank employee, and am still married to her. She kept me straight all these many years. We live comfortably, not lavishly, and don't do things like buying a new car every other year just because our neighbors do, not buying into every new (electronic) fad that comes along. These current $15/ hr. "low-wage" employees? They're making more $$ than I -ever- did.
Sounds like you live the old fashion way. I'm the same way. We can't afford it, we don't need it, etc. Leaves you with emergency/savings money. She said about cutting back on the food we buy and that's where she crossed the line...she's trying to starve me out. I can do this. On a serious note, if we can't get toilet paper any more....we'll all figure it out. I promise. Garden will need watered soon and so can your as...piring rectal problem. Carry on men!
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

I'm amazed by some of the news stories that show hundreds (thousands) of cars in line at food banks. We are only a few weeks into this thing and people are already desperate. Either people just like free stuff, or a lot of people are living beyond their means. I'm shocked that people don't have anything set aside for an emergency.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Yes. There are kindred spirits like us around, we don't always see eye to eye but have much more in common than not.