Huge games this week in the Heritage Conference

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Huge games this week in the Heritage Conference

Post by konjo78 »

This week we see all the top 6 teams playing one another, setting up for a fun night of games that could effect the HC race.

Game 1: Penns Manor (6-0) at Portage (4-2): Penns Manor is currently in the middle of the tough part of their schedule and they are not slowing down. Their past 3 weeks include wins over Homer, West Shamokin and last weeks Northern Cambria match up with all being blowouts. Portage rebounded last week in a nailbiter against homer center. The week before Portage was upset by united valley and if they want any chance to win the heritage this is a must win game. Their other loss this season has been to cambria Heights.

Game 2: West Shamokin (4-2) at Northern Cambria (4-2): This is a game of two teams who have had pretty volatile season. West Shamokin were able to beat Homer Center this year in a shootout that ended with a hail mary but were shutout by penns manor and lost early to purchase line. They start a brutal end to the season and if they want to see their AA playoff hopes alive theyll a W here would help a lot. Northern started strong with a win against Cambria Heights to start the year but now they are currently on a 2 game loss streak losing to Homer and Penns Manor. Will they get back momentum or will they fall back further this season.

Game 3: Cambria Heights (5-1) at Homer Center (3-3): This match up between last years Conference champion and the preseason maybe closer than we think. If Cambria Heights want to repeat as champ they'll have to win this week before heading to Penns Manor next week in an all but defacto conference championship game. Their only loss came week one to Northern Cambria. Now Homer center is a decieving 3-3. While they were blown out by Penns Manor their other two losses were games lost in the final seconds. A last second Hail Mary gave West Shamokin a win against the wild cats in week 4 and last week a last second touchdown by portage gave mustangs the win. If Homer wants to have a decent seeding in D6 playoffs they'll need this win for sure.
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Huge games this week in the Heritage Conference

Post by youngbuck »

Best Penns Manor team in years, konjo, what makes them 5-0? Offensive weapons, defense, speed, line play?
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

I would attribute penns manor success to these few things.

1. Defense has only given up 34 points all season. They seem to be stuffing the box and stopping teams from running on them. They also seem to have an edge scheme that gives consistent pressure on QBs when they try to pass.

2. Seem to have a lot of speed skill players. Whether its on defense or offense rarely are they losing the side to side battle against their opponents. RBs seem to be hitting the edge more often while their opponents get strung out consistently.

3. Max Hill! Max might not be as explosive as Danny Ferens was around a decade ago, gosh has it been a decade since ferens? Makes me feel old and Im only 30. Anyways Max at the QB position seems able to make offensive plays that easily turn into long runs or TDS like danny did back in the day. Max also seems to be able to pass somewhat consistently for a penns manor QB.

The defense in these games consistently causes 3 and outs that give their offense a short field. Before you know it its a 20 point lead in the second quarter and offenses become one dimensional very quickly
ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ChrisKentRam »

Just curious, have you watched a game all year? I haven't, but I'm just looking at the passing stats on Maxpreps...
18-40 for 245 yards with 3 TDs and 3 INTs through 6 games doesn't seem like much passing. It does look like he is very impressive with the ball in his hands running it. He must be an impressive athlete, just not sure about the passing part of your comment.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

ChrisKentRam wrote: October 7th, 2022, 10:28 am Just curious, have you watched a game all year? I haven't, but I'm just looking at the passing stats on Maxpreps...
18-40 for 245 yards with 3 TDs and 3 INTs through 6 games doesn't seem like much passing. It does look like he is very impressive with the ball in his hands running it. He must be an impressive athlete, just not sure about the passing part of your comment.
Yes. https://youtu.be/FuylYMcSdA4 there is their game vs homer.

I guess when meant by passing I was referring to their comfort with him throwing compared to most years at penns manor. They've never really had any ambition to have a passing threat so for them 40 passes with 18 completions is abour 2x-3x as much as they would normally have in a season.
ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ChrisKentRam »

konjo78 wrote: October 7th, 2022, 11:15 am
ChrisKentRam wrote: October 7th, 2022, 10:28 am Just curious, have you watched a game all year? I haven't, but I'm just looking at the passing stats on Maxpreps...
Yes. https://youtu.be/FuylYMcSdA4 there is their game vs homer.

I guess when meant by passing I was referring to their comfort with him throwing compared to most years at penns manor. They've never really had any ambition to have a passing threat so for them 40 passes with 18 completions is abour 2x-3x as much as they would normally have in a season.
Yeah I'll have to continue to agree to disagree with your comments like usual.
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

Quick Stats from 2021
Total Passing Yards 543
Passing TDs 3
Passing Yards/Game 49.4
Pass Completions 45
Pass Attempts 101
Interceptions 10

Much better td to int this year
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Work had me busy so I couldnt follow these games like usual but here are the scores.

Penns Mabor (7-0) 55 - Portage (4-3) 28

Northern Cambria (5-2) 35 - West Shamokin (4-3) 26

Cambria Heights (6-1) 31 - Homer Center (3-4) 12

Next week we get Cambria Heights (6-1) at Penns Manor (7-0) where the heritage very well maybe decided. West Shamokin and Portage, both 4-3, play in a big match up that will effect playoff chances of both teams