Re: Summer Football

Post by SPORTSGURU814 »

Yea something like soccer :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

my point is, you can't get ANY indication of how good a team will be playing football in shorts. You can see who has athletes, but it is by no means a measuring stick of success. I love when teams play special defenses just fo r7 on 7's
SPORTSGURU814
Senior
Senior

Post by SPORTSGURU814 »

I think everyone agrees with that point, but its good work for the kids and lets them showcase their skills its about fun
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

WhiteOwl wrote:Who did Central beat in the semi finals? I assume Johnstown and Valley was the other s3mi final game.
Central played Portage in the other semi
You play to win the game!!!
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

SPORTSGURU814 wrote:I think everyone agrees with that point, but its good work for the kids and lets them showcase their skills its about fun
No, the same could be done at your own field. Yeah it's good to get your kids to compete, but if your kids aren't competitive, a 7 on 7 won't make them competitive. Showcase their skills? That's what Friday nights and saturday afternoons are for. Not Saturday mornings in July. I've heard of a lot of schools going to these and schools from out of the area coming to some hosted here. But I haven't heard of Clairton coming or being at many (or any)....how's that working out for them?
theprophet
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by theprophet »

How did McCort do???????
Eaglealum2
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Eaglealum2 »

Peyton I differ slightly there. The passing leagues or 7 on 7 's are a tool. And a necessity for those that use the forward pass more than 4-5 times a game. Running routes throwing the different throws... It's repetition. The more you do something the better you get at it. It ensures nothing. Football being a team game is blocking, tackling, and running the ball. But it does make your passing game better. Just looking at stats a buddy of mine was putting together. 8 of top 10 all time passers at Tyrone played for coach that did passing leagues. Now before anyone says how the game has changed over the years.... Here comes the proof. The two that didn't play for said coaches(#'s 8& 10 on list) had as many or more attempts as the others but completion % of 38& 44 respectively and were arguably 2 of the better athletes on the list( 1 played D1 QB for 4 years in the 60's) point being it does help, not a necessity if you have 3 D1 rb prospects and are going to run 58 times a game, but for everyone else it's more reps and needed.
"Sprinkles are for winners"- Flo
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

you can get these same reps at your own facility....which costs nothing
SPORTSGURU814
Senior
Senior

Post by SPORTSGURU814 »

peytonsaturday wrote:
SPORTSGURU814 wrote:I think everyone agrees with that point, but its good work for the kids and lets them showcase their skills its about fun
No, the same could be done at your own field. Yeah it's good to get your kids to compete, but if your kids aren't competitive, a 7 on 7 won't make them competitive. Showcase their skills? That's what Friday nights and saturday afternoons are for. Not Saturday mornings in July. I've heard of a lot of schools going to these and schools from out of the area coming to some hosted here. But I haven't heard of Clairton coming or being at many (or any)....how's that working out for them?
Clairton has been playing in them all summer mostly the college sponsored passing camps they were banged up and had to withdraw from a few comparing 7v7 to Friday night football is like comparing apples to oranges they are two different things played totally different prepared for totally different theses are not mandatory events so if your team isn't competitive why go? or should I say maybe go to a less competitive one's The big tournaments are major recruiting tools for schools.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Help me out here. Football is 11 on 11. This is 7 on 7. Who gets the summer off?