Numbers again

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Numbers again

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Johnstown, by far the largest school in the county canceled a JV game because they didn't have enough linemen.
Steve92
Senior
Senior

Post by Steve92 »

Bedrock wrote:Was just sent an article this week that stated that high school football is no longer the number one concussion sport in high school sports in the US.  Wanna guess what passed football?  Girls' soccer is the new number one.  One doctor in the article was quoted as saying he would not allow his child to head a soccer ball until they were 18 years old.
I saw that or a related article in the Wash Post.  For incidents of concussions in high school sports, football comes in 4th behind girls soccer, girls volleyball and girls basketball.  
Interpretation:  If you're worried about your son getting a traumatic head injury, keep him out of girls sports.  
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Steve92 wrote:
Bedrock wrote:Was just sent an article this week that stated that high school football is no longer the number one concussion sport in high school sports in the US.  Wanna guess what passed football?  Girls' soccer is the new number one.  One doctor in the article was quoted as saying he would not allow his child to head a soccer ball until they were 18 years old.
I saw that or a related article in the Wash Post.  For incidents of concussions in high school sports, football comes in 4th behind girls soccer, girls volleyball and girls basketball.  
Interpretation:  If you're worried about your son getting a traumatic head injury, keep him out of girls sports.  
Nothing against the girls, but anyone who has watch girls basketball would agree. There's a lot of clumsy girls colliding. I assume this goes across the 3 sports, especially without head gear
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Just read that the U.S. Army missed their recruiting quota for this year. First time in over a decade. I don't think young people today want to exert themselves physically.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

youngbuck wrote:
Manfred wrote:Maybe to field a full team, but some kids can't make it through the first day or week of camp w/o getting hurt.  Used to be rub some dirt in it and take a lap, now it's concussion protocols every time a (almost) tackle is made or blown.  Kids don't want to put in weight room time either.
I'm going to disagree, the number of kids missing due to concussion protocol is extremely small in fact maybe you could name a couple kids who were held out of games due to concussion protocol and as far as the weight room comment, now you have parents paying to take their kids to have specialized weightlifting
You're allowed to disagree, doesn't make your opinion any better than mine.  It's an open forum, and opposing views are invited.
It ain't over until it's over.
Birda
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: RE: Re: Numbers again

Post by Birda »

El-Moldo wrote:Just read that the U.S. Army missed their recruiting quota for this year. First time in over a decade. I don't think young people today want to exert themselves physically.
Or the Army doesn't want people who can't find a job with such low unemployment because they're probably idiots.

And they stopped taking immigrants, which were about 5000 a year. Army was 6500 short this year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
sparky
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by sparky »

Birda wrote:
El-Moldo wrote:Just read that the U.S. Army missed their recruiting quota for this year. First time in over a decade. I don't think young people today want to exert themselves physically.
Or the Army doesn't want people who can't find a job with such low unemployment because they're probably idiots.

And they stopped taking immigrants, which were about 5000 a year. Army was 6500 short this year.

The Army actually lowered a lot of their recruiting standards in recent years. I think it is change in the mentality of children these days. Unless your parents are/were in the military, there is not a sense of military pride in the country. We are more concerned with immigrants and their rights than the men and women who are protecting their rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live Life to the fullest
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

The army isn't looking for future generals. There are LOTS of menial jobs available in the service, just no one wants to make the effort to man them.
Birda
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: RE: Re: Numbers again

Post by Birda »

El-Moldo wrote:The army isn't looking for future generals. There are LOTS of menial jobs available in the service, just no one wants to make the effort to man them.
There are still standards. It's not like getting a job at Walmart. So the problem is getting willing AND eligible people.

LoneRanger
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by LoneRanger »

Manfred wrote:
youngbuck wrote:
Manfred wrote:Maybe to field a full team, but some kids can't make it through the first day or week of camp w/o getting hurt.  Used to be rub some dirt in it and take a lap, now it's concussion protocols every time a (almost) tackle is made or blown.  Kids don't want to put in weight room time either.
I'm going to disagree, the number of kids missing due to concussion protocol is extremely small in fact maybe you could name a couple kids who were held out of games due to concussion protocol and as far as the weight room comment, now you have parents paying to take their kids to have specialized weightlifting
You're allowed to disagree, doesn't make your opinion any better than mine.  It's an open forum, and opposing views are invited.
One of the most respectful and spot on posts in a long time . If people would apply this mentality in everyday life and respect each other's opinions, society would be in a better place.