The Hot Seat

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

The Hot Seat

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Every year around this time we hear about who’s on “the hot seat”, but what exactly is your criteria for this? Is it expectations? Performance? Lack of wins? Lack of players? Etc. Seems that this day in age you see coaches who don’t have success on the hot seat, but is it their fault if the talent isn’t there? On the national level you have Tomlin taking heat but is he the problem? Clint Hurdle is fired for lack of performance but ownership refuses to spend money. And inevitably there will be high school coaches fired this year for not winning with teams that wouldn’t win if John Madden was the coach. Thoughts?
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: The Hot Seat

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

It's pretty obvious that the situation in Johnstown is dire and they probably need outside leadership.
Somerset hasn't been a powerhouse in a generation, but I would think that they should be more competitive.
Otherwise, some of these coaches have been dealt bad hands (CV, United, etc) and I commend them for trying to manage impossible situations. I sure couldn't do it.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

OutOfTheLoop wrote:It's pretty obvious that the situation in Johnstown is dire and they probably need outside leadership.
Somerset hasn't been a powerhouse in a generation, but I would think that they should be more competitive.
Otherwise, some of these coaches have been dealt bad hands (CV, United, etc) and I commend them for trying to manage impossible situations. I sure couldn't do it.
Would anyone win in Johnstown the last 2 years?
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

CCDevil2012 wrote:
OutOfTheLoop wrote:It's pretty obvious that the situation in Johnstown is dire and they probably need outside leadership.
It's hard to say not to familiar with it. Some coaches it takes time. Some like Tusseys coach can get it going in 1 year. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day. 
Steve92
Senior
Senior

Post by Steve92 »

CCDevil2012 wrote:
Now that dire situations have been mentioned, could anyone have won in Altoona in the past decade?  Vince Jr. shouldn't  be on the hotseat for at least two years, given the lack of success that precedes him.    
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Steve92 wrote:
CCDevil2012 wrote:
Now that dire situations have been mentioned, could anyone have won in Altoona in the past decade?  Vince Jr. shouldn't  be on the hotseat for at least two years, given the lack of success that precedes him.    
I've said before. Altoona is a dumpster fire and Nick Saban couldn't win there.
deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by deepcreek »

How did Ed Dalton manage to win at Altoona?  Just curious.
Crushersports
Senior
Senior

Post by Crushersports »

CCDevil2012 wrote:
A big problem there is that some of the best athletes in the school all play basketball and they won't play football. Part of it is fear of injury and most think they'll go big time in hoops.
Crushersports
Senior
Senior

Post by Crushersports »

From most accounts United has decent numbers in their Junior high program, so they should be fine after this year. 
Another issue not just due to sports but finances. When do some of these schools start putting their ego's aside and we start seeing some consolidations. There are too many schools and not enough kids. There are too many sports and not enough kids. The problem is that there are several issues and it's not just one thing or another 
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

Has McGregor actually done anything at CC?  Other than jacking up Bennetts stat line last year?  Two wins this year against the worst teams.  They are not getting better as a program.  Maybe because he is the home town boy they keep him around but not sure the CC program is going in any direction.