Football Crisis in Rural PA?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Crushersports
Senior
Senior

Re: Football Crisis in Rural PA?

Post by Crushersports »

Has anyone heard potential rumors of Bishop McCort and Bishop Carroll potentially doing a co-op in some sports in the near future?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Yes, I have heard that rumor.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Not sure if it would be an all-sports consolidation, since Bishop Carroll can still field very competitive basketball and volleyball teams. But sports like football, soccer, wrestling, baseball, softball, and a lot of junior high programs would benefit numbers-wise.
PortagePride
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by PortagePride »

The Bishop McCarroll Crimson Huskies are born.

Oh and Conemaugh Valley has forfeited their game Saturday against Portage. Which If what a previous poster said Is true, If you forfeit two consecutive games you're done for the season? That would mean they will have forfeited their Westpac Heritage crossover game against United as well already.
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

Colonel Mustard wrote:You guys make dads sound awful. When is the last time you saw a bunch of kids playing a pick-up game of anything? Without these horrible dads coaching, fund raising, working on fields, organizing leagues, all for no pay, there would be no youth sports. I'm no fan of youth football, but without youth football do you really think that you would end up with more kids participating in Jr. High and High School? Not likely. Kids would be playing soccer, or baseball, or hockey or something else that starts way to soon.

There are less kids and more options.  That's why participation numbers are dwindling.
Colonel Mustard, you have some valid points that got me thinking more about my theory.

[ul][li]"Last time we saw a bunch of kids playing a pick up game" - I've often thought it was the "dang technology" and "video games" but I just realized where the kids might be instead of the local pickup "backyard" football game.  Some are at their youth football practice.[/li][/ul]
This got me thinking about when we were kids and the "backyard" game was all we had until 7th grade.  Yeah, we got plenty of bumps and bruises, learned some really cool words and phrases, and destroyed a lot of school clothes, but we learned many valuable lessons.  

One being the fact their was no adults there, we had to govern ourselves and solve disputes/problems.  Problem solving, A life skill.  If we couldn't agree on the rules, we couldn't play.  Team building, another life skill.  Plus if you didn't like the rules, you could always take your ball and go home, yet another life skill (poor one).  Regardless, I'd say some young people really struggle with these skills at times.

[ul][li]Other sports are starting sooner, need to catch them early before they get hooked elsewhere. [/li][/ul]
Now, less kids, smaller families, I agree 100%, but the lets start them sooner model has been around for years.  AYSO soccer started in the late 60's early 70s, in the fall, at the youth level.  We didn't see this crisis in the 70s-90s, early 2000s.  I use soccer as the comparison because to my knowledge the options in the fall for most males is Cross Country, Golf, Football, & Soccer.

Yeah they maybe year around players in other sports, but overall I'd say that has become the norm because they are not finding other sports fun.  If they have fun, they go.  Its that simple.

Cut out the youth model, and I bet the "backyard game" makes a come back.  But as long as "Coach Dad" has his way, its practice at 6pm, 4-5 nights a week.  Kids end up hating it before they even understand what a first down is.  

Some "Coach Dads" get it and its awesome what they do, but it only takes 1 "Coach Dad" to ruin the show and give kids a very bad experience.  
Thanks!
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

2 catholic schools !!!??? OMG! Imagine the recruiting grounds they could cover then!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

One could be the defensive team and half the specials and the other could be the offense and the remainder the special teams. They would not even have to practice together, just show up and play on friday nights
sportsfan1072
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by sportsfan1072 »

If the rumors are true, do you think any student athletes may transfer back to their local public school? Kind of a far drive from say Northern Cambria school district (if they have any players from NC) to Johnstown all week for the preseason and in season practices. Or do schools provide activity buses for such co-ops? Also, how would the D-6 committee look at it if some students do to transfer, with the new transfer rules in place? Also, do you think it will have a significant impact on future enrollment at BC? Considering they currently have 23 on their roster (per max-preps) and 11 of those 23 are seniors, I don't think it would.
Pineapplesandballs
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Pineapplesandballs »

sportsfan1072 wrote:If the rumors are true, do you think any student athletes may transfer back to their local public school?  Kind of a far drive from say Northern Cambria school district (if they have any players from NC) to Johnstown all week for the preseason and in season practices.  Or do schools provide activity buses for such co-ops?  Also, how would the D-6 committee look at it if some students do to transfer, with the new transfer rules in place?  Also, do you think it will have a significant impact on future enrollment at BC?     Considering they currently have 23 on their roster (per max-preps) and 11 of those 23 are seniors, I don't think it would.
Valid question. I would guess that some of the parents want a catholic education for their kids and will continue to send them there. Others might want that but skip the middle man and transfer to BM. While still the rest will either go back to their home school or quit football all together. As per the transfer rules I'm not sure as the program in this case would have been cut. Then again they may have 20-24 kids out yet again. Depending on the opening with LV leaving there may be a spot for them.
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

Pineapplesandballs wrote:
sportsfan1072 wrote:If the rumors are true, do you think any student athletes may transfer back to their local public school?  Kind of a far drive from say Northern Cambria school district (if they have any players from NC) to Johnstown all week for the preseason and in season practices.  Or do schools provide activity buses for such co-ops?  Also, how would the D-6 committee look at it if some students do to transfer, with the new transfer rules in place?  Also, do you think it will have a significant impact on future enrollment at BC?     Considering they currently have 23 on their roster (per max-preps) and 11 of those 23 are seniors, I don't think it would.
Valid question. I would guess that some of the parents want a catholic education for their kids and will continue to send them there. Others might want that but skip the middle man and transfer to BM. While still the rest will either go back to their home school or quit football all together. As per the transfer rules I'm not sure as the program in this case would have been cut. Then again they may have 20-24 kids out yet again. Depending on the opening with LV leaving there may be a spot for them.
Here’s a question. If a homeschooled kid could play for their local school ( without actually attending) . In this case , why couldn’t a parent still get their kid the catholic education, while the kid plays for his ( or her) home school??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk