A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: Referee shortage

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

https://www.piaa.org/officials/become/register.aspx

http://www.piaa.org/officials/default.aspx

Basically you pay a fee, take a test, pass it, get child clearances,   join a chapter, pay chapter dues, attend a rules meeting and periodic meetings throughout the season, buy equipment, and then get assigned to games
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

southpaw wrote:One way to combat ref shortage is to go back to 5 man crews.   Ridge olayed a lot of games in wv and md last 10 years and they had 5 man varsity crews.  Those crews did just fine.  Im seeing the opposite recently where a lot of varsity game are done by 7 man crews.
This is treating the symptom and not the illness. There is a significant referee shortage issue and it's getting worse and needs to be addressed. Football, as an entire sport, seems to be teetering on collapse.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

I’d consider becoming a referee but it’s too hot in August and too cold in November.  And I won’t work if it’s raining.  
McCoolRedDevil
Freshman
Freshman

Post by McCoolRedDevil »

PIAA.org

This is old news, the PIAA has seen a shortage of officials in all sports.
Here is the deal, about 5 years ago the PIAA forced all officials to get background checks. Many of the older officials didn't want to play thee fees, which are updated every five years. It can become pricey. Also, younger officials don't want to pay their dues ( work middle school, junior high and junior varsity games) and learn the ropes. They demand varsity games, also a lot of good young officials get bumped up to college. Back in the days, a lot of coaches and teachers were officials, that's not occurring these days. I officiate and I've never been threatened or seen an official be threatened. I have rejected a parent or two from a game
PaSportsGuy
Junior
Junior

Post by PaSportsGuy »

Here is the video
http://www.wpxi.com/video?videoId=10058 ... ersion=1.0

talked about moving some games to Saturday afternoon, but fear next year when officials got to renew their clearances it could be worst then they thought.
PaSportsGuy
Junior
Junior

Post by PaSportsGuy »

OutOfTheLoop wrote:https://www.piaa.org/officials/become/register.aspx

http://www.piaa.org/officials/default.aspx

Basically you pay a fee, take a test, pass it, get child clearances,   join a chapter, pay chapter dues, attend a rules meeting and periodic meetings throughout the season, buy equipment, and then get assigned to games
So you pay good money to get yelled at and fight with parents and coaches? Sounds like fun, I'm signing up.
PaSportsGuy
Junior
Junior

Post by PaSportsGuy »

McCoolRedDevil wrote:PIAA.org

This is old news, the PIAA has seen a shortage of officials in all sports.
Here is the deal, about 5 years ago the PIAA forced all officials to get background checks. Many of the older officials didn't want to play thee fees, which are updated every five years. It can become pricey. Also, younger officials don't want to pay their dues ( work middle school, junior high and junior varsity games) and learn the ropes. They demand varsity games, also a lot of good young officials get bumped up to college. Back in the days, a lot of coaches and teachers were officials, that's not occurring these days. I officiate and I've never been threatened or seen an official be threatened. I have rejected a parent or two from a game
Very lucky, the video says in one week 16 players and coaches were ejected from WPIAL games. I imagine in the bigger city games, and more attended rivalry games it can become pretty hostile. We already had a shooting this year at Jeannette, one in Philly, and a very violent one at a high school football game in Bama. That aspect is only going to get worst IMO.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Bump the pay, it’s supply and demand. I may not get yelled at for $55 but I would for $100. Harrisburg chapter pays $100 for Soccer games, no referee shortages and as a ref it’s sometimes hard to get a game because of the number of refs
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

I would agree with those that have pointed out the clearances and other hoops they have to jump through is discouraging signup as well as the parents, coaches, and player behavior.

What prompted the demand for the changes with the clearances?
Thanks!
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Jerry Sandusky.  The Catholic church.  A handful of local high school assistant band directors.  Etc.

I just got my clearances.  The FBI check was $21.85.  I got the other two free as I am just a volunteer.  I believe they are $10 each otherwise.