Referee shortage

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Referee shortage

Post by Manfred »

X3pointer wrote:They play junior high and JV same night
In the LHAC,  JV is MONDAY nts.  NOT the same night as 7th or 8th grade FB.
It ain't over until it's over.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Exactly why I will not volunteer for certain church or community charities or events. Too much government interference in our lives already, but I -DO- see why it's necessary. Takes special people who are really driven to get involved, and I'm beyond, not above, that.
It ain't over until it's over.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Don't most JV and Jr. High games start at 4:00? How many people with regular jobs can swing that?
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

Colonel Mustard wrote:Don't most JV and Jr. High games start at 4:00? How many people with regular jobs can swing that?
It probably goes back to what McCoolRedDevil said earlier... although I disagree with part of his comment, he is right that a lot more teachers and those who work at schools would officiate. It made sense to do it right after school. Not so much, anymore.
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

CCDevil2012 wrote:Bump the pay, it’s supply and demand. I may not get yelled at for $55 but I would for $100. Harrisburg chapter pays $100 for Soccer games, no referee shortages and as a ref it’s sometimes hard to get a game because of the number of refs
Certainly wouldn't hurt, but you're talking about varsity level. The guys I know who coach and ref varsity aren't really doing that for the money.
For refs, the money is in peewee and multiple underclass games weekly. Unfortunately, it's a bit of a vicious cycle.  Referees who do it for the right reasons want little to do with peewee because of the issues with coaches and parents. So then you get refs who see it as a relatively good paying part time job, which makes the problems worse. Young guys then learn bad habits from those lesser refs.
McCoolRedDevil
Freshman
Freshman

Post by McCoolRedDevil »

Someone mentioned that there were 16 ejections in a week in the WPIAL. according to the PIAA the majority of the ejections this fall was in boys soccerL D1 57; D2 21; D3 50; D4 14; D5 3; D 16 15; WPIAL 70; D8 6; D 9 6; D10 22: D11 54; D 12 9

Football
D1 25; D2 6; D 3 30; D 4 13; D 5 6; D6 8; WPIAL 56; D 8 0; D 9 6; D1- 16; D 11 26; D 12 55.

I'm glad I don't officiate soccer. No control, no wonder D 3 pays $100 for soccer.
Sounds like soccer players and coaches and parents need to go to school and learn manners