Ligonier Valley

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Ligonier Valley

Post by tubmill »

The WPIAL will release their new sections by January 20th. There are two proposals. One is keeping the status quo. In that scenario here is LV's new home:

Class 2A, Section 1

Apollo-Ridge, Ligonier Valley, Serra Catholic, Shady Side Academy, Steel Valley, Summit Academy

In the second proposal sections would be aligned geographically with different classifications in the same section. If that proposal is selected, here is the Rams new conference:

Section 11

Apollo-Ridge (2A), Burrell (3A), Deer Lakes (3A), Derry (3A), Freeport (3A), Highlands (4A), Indiana (4A), Ligonier Valley (2A), Summit Academy (2A), Valley (3A)
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Ligonier Valley

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

LVHS to Apollo-Ridge 37.7 miles
LVHS to Serra Catholic 36.7
LVHS to Shady Side Academy 54.1
LVHS to Steel Valley 50.1
LVHS to Summit Academy 61.6

LVHS to Burrell 42.2
LVHS to Deer Lakes 50.8
LVHS to Derry 11.2
LVHS to Freeport 50.8
LVHS to Highlands 48.5
LVHS to Indiana 36
LVHS to Valley 43.7
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

In an ideal world, Ligonier would be in a conference with GCC and Jeannette etc. but I think both schools are Single-A
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

In an ideal world, Ligonier would be in a conference with Westmont, Johnstown, Richland, Somerset and Central Cambria.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

Distance from LV:

Westmont - 19.1 m
Forest Hills - 37.5 m
Bishop Guilfoyle - 62.7 m
Chestnut Ridge - 46.5 m
Central Cambria - 47.2 m
Bedford - 48.9 m
Bishop Carroll - 47.5 m
Greater Johnstown - 23.0 m
BM (Point Stadium) - 23.3 m
Somerset - 24.1 m
Richland - 31 m
Cambria Heights - 61.5 m
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

Proposal 2 probably won't happen, but it is intriguing. There is finally a chance to develop rivalries. Indiana and Derry come to mine. When Ligonier was in the LHAC, they had absolutely no rivalries. LV thought that they had rivalries when they were in the Heritage, but that simply wasn't the case. If you talk to fans from all of the Heritage teams, they could have cared less if they played the Rams. In fact they would prefer not to play them. The Heritage already had built in rivalries that had lasted for decades. If the WPIAL chooses Proposal 1, I hope that they consider adding Derry, Mt. Pleasant, Yough or Southmoreland to the Ram's out of conference schedule!
PAgridder2011
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PAgridder2011 »

Tubmill,it's going to be proposal 1 (the trib announced tonight) They will be in a conference with Apollo-Ridge, Steel Valley, Shady Side Academy, Serra Catholic, and Summitt. That is 5 of the games right there, LV will be responsible for scheduling week 0 and Jeannette would be a good place to start looking or possibly GCC. Then the WPIAL will hand pick cross over games based on geography and competitive balance for 4 games. Possibilities here include, Charleroi and Wash high (very likely), Beth Center and Frazier. There are 24 Single A (even number) teams so I'm not sure if they will schedule those up to 2A for non-conference. If they do GCC and Jeannette are likely. If not, schools like Derry and Elizabeth Forward on the schedule could be possible.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

I would love to see Jeannette, GCC and Derry on the schedule. I would much rather see Southmoreland or Yough rather than Wash High, EF or Frazier. I don't think that will happen.
PAgridder2011
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PAgridder2011 »

Southmoreland and Yough would be possible as well as 3A schools. It will be interesting to see how much the WPIAL favors staying within classification, especially at the lower levels. Personally, I've always maintained most coaches would rather play teams in their own class, which was kind of proven by the WPIAL survey results.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

PAgridder2011, looking at the 2A sections, you are probably right about LV's non-conference opponents. I would love to see Derry on the schedule to provide a natural rivalry.