Cambria Heights to Heritage

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Cambria Heights to Heritage

Post by tubmill »

Blairsville/Saltsburg is in the middle of the consolidation effort again. At this time, Blairsville has the majority on the BSSD. The Saltsburg folks have organized their SOS (save our school committee) once again. I really don't think that the Saltburg folks will be able to stop it this time. I hear chatter that they want to dissolve the school district. Unless things have changed, I don't think that is possible. The school wanting to leave, must have an adjacent district willing to accept them. Laurel Valley wanted to leave the LVSD back in the 90's to join United. The United board voted 6 - 3 turning LV down. In hindsight , I'll bet the USD wished the hadn't voted that way . Should Blairsville/Saltsburg will follow LV to the WPIAL. Both schools played in the WPIAL in the past.
hornets69
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by hornets69 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 2:42 pm
CharlieConway wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 1:53 pm
Also, restructure districts. We have some districts out there that don't even have schools to have a playoff and they combine. Clear indication that something is wrong.

I think that's more of a consolidation issue, isn't it? The 'Something wrong" part is just Western Pennsylvania has a lot of school districts that are really small IMO.

District's 1,2,3,4,11,12 account for 80 of the 95 playing football schools in the largest classification. Districts 5,6,7,8,9,10 account for 15.

But in Single-A 71 of the 90 football playing schools are in the West, and just 19 in the East.

What's the answer as to why there are only large schools in the East and a bunch of tiny ones in the West?
I think part of it is the travel distance and the snow/weather in the west. They barely get any snow in the east. There is not really any good way to get from Laurel Valley to Ligonier, or from Saltsburg to Blairsville, etc. More jobs and More larger towns/cities.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

There are some remote school districts I agree with, but in other cases the amount of schools around here doesn't really make a ton of sense.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

Crimson, from Laurel Valley High School to Ligonier High School is eleven miles. Don't get me wrong, lots of folks had concerns about the long bus rides. However, for most Laurel Valley people, it was the loss of our identity, myself included. LVM/HS was the focal point of the communities of Seward, Bolivar, New Florence, St. Clair TWP and Fairfield TWP. We were fiercely proud of our school and its athletic program. It's been ten years since the consolidation. Hard feelings are slowly fading. There are still cyber charter schools in the north and that is understandable, but it is my understanding that the kids get along well.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Am I the only one that has never heard of Frazier? You can't tell me that LV people would rather play Frazier than Johnstown, Forest Hills, and Richland.
X3pointer
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by X3pointer »

If consolidation occurs, Rumor has it that Saltsburg will start a Charter School
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

They already have one, it's just west of town. Kiski Prep.
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Kiski Prep is not a charter school.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

How's the Hyndman charter school? Still in existence?
X3pointer
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by X3pointer »

Charter schools are paid for by the district a charter school in Saltsburg would cost The district approximately $15,000 per student they also must provide transportation it can get very expensive for the district