2020 LV schedule....

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: 2020 LV schedule....

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I grew up in Southmont (Westmont SD) and bought my house in Westwood (Johnstown SD).
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

Both of those communities are very safe!
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Johnstown: Anywhere that Section 8 housing is nearby, a person needs to be very aware. Including Oakhurst. As a former service tech whose company had the HVAC contract with Johnstown Housing Authority, anytime we had a call for one of those places, we went with multiple servicemen, mainly 1 to do the actual work and 1 or 2 others to watch our backs and vehicles, equipment.
It ain't over until it's over.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

You're spot on, Manfred!
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I do most of my work in Maryland and have several clients down in Baltimore. I moved 2 counties away just to steer as far clear as possible.

I drive down into Baltimore and think “who in their right mind would live and/or operate a business out of this hell-hole?” But those that live and work their all of their life don’t see anything unusual about it.

Probably the same applies to Johnstown. When you come in and observe from the outside, it is a complete mess. But you don’t have the benefit of knowing the area, knowing the neighbors, and ultimately knowing where to avoid.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

If you are around a 'stink' long enough, your nose becomes de-sensitized to it. ANY smell. If you don't smoke, you know immediately when a smoker is in the room even if they are not smoking. It clings to them like a cloud.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

And if you aren’t around it a lot, you may perceive that smell to be worse than it is.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

A 'rose' by any other name........
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 223113 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote: February 19th, 2020, 11:39 am I was in Philadelphia fairly recently. Maybe it’s just a big city mindset, but I wouldn’t say I felt unsafe there at all as opposed to like Baltimore, but I would figure to be more mindful of my surroundings walking around at night in Philly than I would in Johnstown.

But I don’t feeL at danger in Johnstown, maybe because I live here and know it’s really not dangerous outside a couple of areas where those crimes occur. I’m sure people from small, rural communities In Cambria and Somerset counties probably perceive Johnstown and Altoona to be worse than they are, but I’m sure residents don’t feel the same way, or else they wouldn’t live there.
25 years ago, in a 5 year span, I lived in several towns in NJ, just across the river from Philadelphia. First, Blackwood, then Pennsauken (near Camden), and finally, Laurel Springs. My opinion, one big hell hole. I hated all of it. But, I met the woman that would eventually become my wife. She lived in Runnemede, NJ, literally a couple miles off the Walt Whitman Bridge, 5 miles from Philly. After marrying, and moving back to rural Cambria County, it only took about a year before my wife said something like, "Oh my gawsh, I would never move back to the Philly/NJ area!" She says it every time we go back there.
Her entire family is there. When we go to visit,...she can't wait to leave.
She grew up in that hell hole environment. It was all she knew,...all they all know. They just....don't know something better exists.
Back here, in Cambria County, there is so much less crime, that almost any petty little crime can make the 6 o'clock news.
In Philly, and it's suburbs, there was soooo much crime, that only The Worst, most Shocking, Despicable stuff made the news.

Maybe things have changed in the past 25 years,...but I don't think so. I know 2 people that'll never move to the Philly area again, and 1 of them used to call that place home.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

I know plenty of people, including myself/my family, thatll never move back to that area of the country(indiana county, cambria county.) There just isnt much to live for. Jobs are leaving, areas are getting more poor and truth be told education at most schools arent the best quality.

Look of the changes that have gone through so far in your life and imagine whatll be like when a kid you have will be the same age as you.