Best PIAA team in the State Title Era

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Best PIAA team in the State Title Era

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Who would you guys say is the best team in the State Title Era. You can either rank one team overall or by classification if you want. A AA AAA AAAA AAAAA AAAAAA.
upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Best PIAA team in the State Title Era

Post by upnorth »

They missed your criteria by a year, but the 1987 North Hills team out of the WPIAL was incredible and shut out nearly every team they played that season. The first team defense did not give up a point all year. They were named national champs by USA Today and had 4 players go on to D1.
LeeCorso
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by LeeCorso »

1A - has to be 2015 BG with all those huge lineman. Most A teams are good due to one or two amazing players but that was a complete team that was big and deep and could make 50 yard FG’s. Allowed 4 points per game over 16 weeks.
2A - 2019 SCA or 2007 Jeanette with Pryor. Both of those teams I feel could’ve possibly won any division. Unbelievable to watch them score all those points so easily. 2016 Steel Valley gets an HM here for putting the mercy rule on all 16 teams and making the SportsCenter Top Ten in the state championship game with that incredible 9 broken tackle run.
3A - 1992 or 1995 Berwick. Obviously never saw them play but I did go to the Curry/Powlus QB camp as a youngster. Both teams ranked #1 in USA Today poll.
4A - 1998 Central Bucks West or 2004 Pittsburgh Central Catholic. Never saw either play but I have heard plenty about both.
5A - 2017 Archbishop Wood. Only four state champions in the new division and Wood won three of them. Big line and run straight forward.
6A - 2019 St. Joes. Same as 5A only being around for a few years and these guys get better every year. Helps when you have Marvin Harrison and Jeremiah Trotters kids.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Tyler Boyd's Clairton teams? 2012?
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Not sure of the years, but Henry Hynoski's teams?
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Good call on 2004 Pittsburgh Central. Just an absolute machine of a football team. I went to see them play Gateway at Heinz Field for the WPIAL title that year. Eugene Jarvis was a great player and had he been taller than 5’5” he would have had a lot of big time offers.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Justin King was at Gateway at the time right?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Yep, Justin King was a five-star and the top-ranked player in the state I believe. Central handled them pretty easily. I don't think they had a super big-time player like King but solid the whole way up and down the lineup.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

After going back and watching some games.
1A- I'd go with Southern Columbia Hynoskis senior year team was awesome and just as big as 2015 BG who I'd put 2nd.
2A- 2019 Southern Columbia 2nd Jeanette Pryors senior year
3A- I'd go with 2011 Archbishop Wood or 95 Berwick
4A- 98 Central Bucks West beat team I've ever seen from top to bottom. Huge line physically imposing and the freight train Dustin Picciotti.
5A- 2017 Archbishop Wood
6A- 2019 St Joe's