Fall Sports

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Fall Sports

Post by El-Moldo »

Yes it has. Please tell us more about Abington Heights.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... eate-issue

Not a good look for a year 1 football coach up here at Wash st
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

They (the players) are going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.
BigSkyCountry
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BigSkyCountry »

Read down through the link that Konjo posted from Espn. About three articles down it shares the demands of this group. Should athletics go this route, there would be serious issues. Ridiculous! A college scholarship is not valued by all. It was once an honor to receive a free education. Now its not enough.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Those hundred of millions of dollars for TV contracts have really lowered the value of a scholarship to players.

Some may actually say the goose laying the egg are the players.
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

Washington State maybe gives a half million of value in football scholarships and stipends (distributed among 85 full scholarship players). Their reported football revenue was about 42 million in 2017, with about half that being declared a profit.

So maybe kids appreciated scholarships more in the past, but coaches, administrators, and the institutions themselves are getting a hell of a windfall on the backs of "amateur " athletes, especially during this "arms" race of the last 25 years.

And this is a good regional program but not an elite, national football powerhouse. Konjo is correct. The kids are the golden geese, not the universities. They deserve a bigger say in their programs.
Slippery95
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Slippery95 »

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it....................I think that this is the old saying!!!!

Paying players seems like a concept that should have been embraced years ago............I mean, an average program like Washington makes 42 Million dollars.........42 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!! They should most certainly share that with the players. Afterall, they are the ones that are really important in the entire College Football Machine.

There are so many variables that the average fan does not think about; or even understand!
1) Who get paid what?
2) Area agents involves?
3) Can a player be fired for under-performing?
4) Can a player be "Let go" due to injury?
5) When a payment can not be negotiated can the player "Transfer"?
6) Does GPA play a role in their ability to participate?
7) Does the athlete need to be a full time student.........or even a student at all?
8) Should Title-IX be respected at all during this payment process?
9) Do you introduce a salary cap?
10) Are players allowed to Unionize?

These are just the first 10 questions..............of literally 100s that I could list.

Nevermind the conversation that we would have to have about the inevitable things like:
1) The disappearance of parity at the college level?
2) The introduction of paying High School Athletes?
3) Who helps with the financial burden placed on smaller schools?
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Slippery95 wrote: August 4th, 2020, 7:34 am Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it....................I think that this is the old saying!!!!

Paying players seems like a concept that should have been embraced years ago............I mean, an average program like Washington makes 42 Million dollars.........42 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!! They should most certainly share that with the players. Afterall, they are the ones that are really important in the entire College Football Machine.

There are so many variables that the average fan does not think about; or even understand!
1) Who get paid what?
2) Area agents involves?
3) Can a player be fired for under-performing?
4) Can a player be "Let go" due to injury?
5) When a payment can not be negotiated can the player "Transfer"?
6) Does GPA play a role in their ability to participate?
7) Does the athlete need to be a full time student.........or even a student at all?
8) Should Title-IX be respected at all during this payment process?
9) Do you introduce a salary cap?
10) Are players allowed to Unionize?

These are just the first 10 questions..............of literally 100s that I could list.

Nevermind the conversation that we would have to have about the inevitable things like:
1) The disappearance of parity at the college level?
2) The introduction of paying High School Athletes?
3) Who helps with the financial burden placed on smaller schools?
^^^ :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: ^^^
It ain't over until it's over.
DFFSBA
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by DFFSBA »

If you want to fully understand the frustration of so many, look no further than this article I pasted below. Why is this ok, with no masks in sight and no social distancing, but parents cannot go see their kids play sports this fall? Seriously, those of you declaring that we MUST lockdown, we MUST social distance, we MUST wear masks - give some valid reasons why a liberal mayor would exempt this (and protests of course) - but nothing else? If you can't admit this is hypocrisy at it's finest, then there is truly no discussion to be had with you.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/dc-mayor ... ce=twitter
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

I do find that to be extremely hypocritical.

Again im a not a liberal im conservative and many liberal leaders have handled Covid as bad as conservatives.

I just base my beliefs on the numbers and stats out there, we could of handled covid so much better than we have across the board. There are countries who got it earlier, with less warning that have death per capita rates an exteme amount lower than us because they handled it right.

If there were grades given out to countries/poltical leaders on how they handled covid the US would get a big ole F, with many of its leaders both conservative and liberal getting Fs as well.