Fall Sports

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
wpbc
Senior
Senior

Re: Fall Sports

Post by wpbc »

I’ll give ya the hospital. But not sure why you think the death totals from that article won’t be accurate. We’re a third of the way to the low estimate After only 2 months and their estimate was for 18months. As for fall sports I don’t think it will happen. I know administrators are already prepping for unconventional starts to the school year.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

For there to be fall sports I would think there is going to have to be in person classes at school. I think that will mean regular five day per week full day school. I just don’t see it at this point.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

If they can't play summer baseball, they'll never let them play football.

Dream scenario: July-August summer baseball, start football practice after Labor Day, games end of Sept. Get 8 games in by Thanksgiving and call it a season.

Nightmare scenario: We have our second 'Covid death' and the Gov moves us back to red.

Most likely: we stay sucking our thumbs at yellow, as thousands of people stream through Walmart every day.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Colonel Mustard wrote: May 15th, 2020, 8:29 am If they can't play summer baseball, they'll never let them play football.

Dream scenario: July-August summer baseball, start football practice after Labor Day, games end of Sept. Get 8 games in by Thanksgiving and call it a season.

Nightmare scenario: We have our second 'Covid death' and the Gov moves us back to red.

Most likely: we stay sucking our thumbs at yellow, as thousands of people stream through Walmart every day.
I salute your post, Col. :ymapplause: Why do emoji's only show up when using the quote feature? :-w
It ain't over until it's over.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

wpbc wrote: May 15th, 2020, 12:20 am I’ll give ya the hospital. But not sure why you think the death totals from that article won’t be accurate. We’re a third of the way to the low estimate After only 2 months and their estimate was for 18months. As for fall sports I don’t think it will happen. I know administrators are already prepping for unconventional starts to the school year.
I guess you missed my entire point. My point was that governmental agencies, officials, and the media are throwing around many numbers that just seem to want to ramp up fear among people. 200,000 to 1,700,000 million deaths sounds like a lot but if it is going to be over 18 months then 200,000 deaths really isn't much at all. 1,875,000 will die in car crashes during those same 18 months, 900,000 will die of cancer, 120,000 will die of diabetes, I can go on.

I just feel like some of these stats that are thrown around make no logical sense. Here is another example of a fear mongering tactic by a governmental official.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/19/ ... ek-period/

So Gov. Newsom projects that within 8 weeks 22,125,600 Californians will have coronavirus when the number of cases in the entire world through 5 months there has only been 4,400,000. News outlets report this garbage and don't even question his logic or the science behind it. This virus has spread mostly uncontrolled for 5 months around some of the most populated places on earth NYC, Tokyo, Mexico City, Venice, Barcellona, and I can go on and on. Yet somehow we are just expected to believe in California it is magically going to effect 5 times more people in a quarter of the time period. STOP FEAR MONGERING!

Also, there are very few places in our country like New York City. There is a even vast difference even between a large city like Philadelphia and New York City. I've spent a lot of time in both cities, NYC is a whole different animal. I think if we really wanted to address public health and safety in the long term we would incentive businesses and people to not overpopulate the way we have in some of our major cities around the world. We seem to be taking NYC data where literally the entire city packs into a subway train and heads off to work in the morning and applying it nationwide.

So bringing this back to Falls Sports below are my thoughts:

I think I am pretty clear on my stance that we need to go back to as normal of a society as quickly as possible. Schools need to be open in the fall, businesses need the right to open, sports need to be back in full swing allowing fans the rights to make the choice if they wish to attend or not. Why can't people make their own decisions? I am not saying the situation is ideal but what happened to concept that you can inform the public and allow the free members of your society to choose what path is best for themselves and their families. If an athlete doesn't feel safe competing, they have every right to sit out a season or two. If a fan feels like they are vulnerable to the virus, they have every right to stay at home. I will not hold that against any athlete or spectator.
GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by GoldenRamsFAN »

My question is, if this was say in Billings Montana, and stayed in that general area. Would cities like NY be on lockdown or just go on like every other day.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

So....you'd be referring to this as the Custer's Last Stand virus, then. Where everyone was wiped out. 100%. Just using the absurd to illustrate the absurd.
It ain't over until it's over.
stownJohn
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by stownJohn »

Winter football in PA would be pretty entertaining. Start in January and finish up in April.
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

Another thread with 1 page of on-topic conversation followed by 3 more off the rails infighting.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Are you new to message boards?