Big Ten

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Big Ten

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Big Ten football is back, 9 game schedule starting on October 24th, no fans in the stadiums.

Aside from lots and lots money being lost and seeing the ACC and SEC playing and having a season, what exactly changed from the league's official stance back in August about not playing?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Big Ten

I'm not against them playing, I enjoy football, I enjoy having a job....I just didn't see the 'oh it's safer now' moment if there was one.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

TV money, media money. PLAIN & SIMPLE. 468 NEW cases on campus reported on the Noon news today.
It ain't over until it's over.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Its all about money. Safety isnt a concern at all for these players, never really is. Most of these "power 5" schools see athletes as money makers, let alone people or students.

Some schools are even sectretive about it, Oklahoma said they will not release any information if their players have covid. Meaning they could have players test positive and not even share that info so their games dont get cancelled/postponed.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Well no school is going divulge that information, but when there's 10 guys not on the sideline on a given Saturday, there's not going to be many questions as to why.
PAgridder2011
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PAgridder2011 »

The claim is that the Abbott rapid testing that every school will have was enough to seal the deal. Daily testing, results within 15 minutes.
PAgridder2011
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PAgridder2011 »

Regarding player safety, by the time all is said and done there will be approximately 5,000 student athletes will play college football this fall. There will be about 1,400 in the big ten alone. If you were a betting man would you bet $100 bucks that at least 1 of those 5,000 will be hospitalized to the point they need a ventilator, I'm not talking about death, at least a 10 day stay in the ICU with the eventual need of a ventilator. Personally, I don't think I would make that bet.

Ed Ogeron, who admittedly is as far from a doctor as you can get, estimates 80% of his team has had it. Given the number of positives they had early on I would agree with him. Clemson the same. Has anyone heard of any player becoming seriously ill?

Yes, I've read about the handful of myocharditis cases. These were all detected and the players were held out. That condition usually resolves itself. If they are testing every day, screening positives for cardiac issues, is there really any risk? I mean relative to getting hit by a car walking to practice.

I'm not saying this is a hoax. I'm not saying covid isn't dangerous. I"m just saying maybe in this case it isn't much riskier than daily life. Personally, I think high school is much more dangerous than college due to the lack of testing. The greatest risk in that case is to the coaches, parents, and officials. just my two cents.
Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Blueandwhitefan »

PAgridder2011 wrote: September 16th, 2020, 9:34 pm Regarding player safety, by the time all is said and done there will be approximately 5,000 student athletes will play college football this fall. There will be about 1,400 in the big ten alone. If you were a betting man would you bet $100 bucks that at least 1 of those 5,000 will be hospitalized to the point they need a ventilator, I'm not talking about death, at least a 10 day stay in the ICU with the eventual need of a ventilator. Personally, I don't think I would make that bet.

Ed Ogeron, who admittedly is as far from a doctor as you can get, estimates 80% of his team has had it. Given the number of positives they had early on I would agree with him. Clemson the same. Has anyone heard of any player becoming seriously ill?

Yes, I've read about the handful of myocharditis cases. These were all detected and the players were held out. That condition usually resolves itself. If they are testing every day, screening positives for cardiac issues, is there really any risk? I mean relative to getting hit by a car walking to practice.

I'm not saying this is a hoax. I'm not saying covid isn't dangerous. I"m just saying maybe in this case it isn't much riskier than daily life. Personally, I think high school is much more dangerous than college due to the lack of testing. The greatest risk in that case is to the coaches, parents, and officials. just my two cents.

A week or so ago. Pittsburgh news reported the death of a CAL. U. Lineman from covid-19.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!!!
PAgridder2011
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PAgridder2011 »

About that, to quote wpxi a day after his death was reported. From the author of the death announcement. "We attributed his cause of death without official confirmation on cause of death. We obtained information from close friends We apologize for the error"

Also the PSAC cancelled their season. Not sure if those teams are practicing. It's unlikely his death was related to covid and highly inlikely its related at all to a covid infection from football. Also the covid dashboard for Allegheny County lists 0 deaths from 20-29 year olds. Although he went to Cal we can assume his residence was allegheny county.PGH CC high school
Sykotyk
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by Sykotyk »

PAgridder2011 wrote: September 16th, 2020, 11:02 pm About that, to quote wpxi a day after his death was reported. From the author of the death announcement. "We attributed his cause of death without official confirmation on cause of death. We obtained information from close friends We apologize for the error"

Also the PSAC cancelled their season. Not sure if those teams are practicing. It's unlikely his death was related to covid and highly inlikely its related at all to a covid infection from football. Also the covid dashboard for Allegheny County lists 0 deaths from 20-29 year olds. Although he went to Cal we can assume his residence was allegheny county.PGH CC high school
His parents confirmed he had been diagnosed with covid. Whether it's just a monumental coincidence he had Covid and then suffered a blood clot that killed him or the one led to the other, remains to be seen. Haven't seen the autopsy or death certificate to know what was listed.

How long did AC take to finalize death certificates? My only frame of reference was when my grandmother died the death certificate to finalize and close her bank accounts took a couple weeks and that was a rather simple straightforward cause of death.