Johnstown

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
footballfan1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Johnstown

Post by footballfan1 »

I attended the game last night as Johnstown hosted Tussey Mountain. Observations: Johnstown has some nice athletes. Johnstown was very undisciplined in all phases of the game. Witnessed numerous times teammates yelling at each other. Witnessed a few times coaches and athletes yelling at each other. Johnstown players came over to the TM sideline a few occasions and my interpretation was by the way the TM coaches reacted was the Johnstown players were being a little cocky and talking some good ole smack. After talking to some of the coaches that what was happening at times. Why in the world would you talk garbage when you are 0-8??? Numerous penalties. No clue what the defensive game plan was. TM ran for over 400 yards led by the Lucko boy with 340 yards rushing. After the game witnessed a couple of their players had to be restrained by coaches to keep them under control. I thought Johnstown played hard and played with emotion but at times the wrong kind of emotion.

Were they not just four years ago or five years in the state playoffs quarter-finals? I felt bad for the head coach and his assistants as at times instead of being able to coach the game they had to calm down a few of their players during and after the game. I assume they felt TM being a single A school was a game they would easily win? How many coaches does Johnstown have? I saw at least 8 coaches on the sideline.

I do not know how much they pay their head coach, but whatever the stipend is I would throw in an extra 3 or 4 thousand. If that is what he has to endure each and every week god bless him.

If they go another direction coaching wise is there someone in the area that would be a good fit and bring some good old school mentality and my way or highway toughness?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Johnstown

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Both Johnstown and Bishop McCort are beginning remote learning on Monday. I don't think JHS has an active case, but McCort does. I'd imagine that would cancel that game as well.
Jimjohn81
Senior
Senior

Post by Jimjohn81 »

LaRod. Last time I checked he was at RMU. Pay him very nice to be HC and AD.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Carleton would eventually make this a viable program, but unfortunately he passed away a couple months ago. Footballfan1's 2nd sentence says it all: Johnstown always has a handfull of nice athletes, but discipline has been a perennial achilles heel.
It ain't over until it's over.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

We always hear about Johnstown's discipline problems. They're 0-9. There's bound to be frustration. Give the coach credit for getting good effort from an 0-8 team.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Manfred wrote: November 7th, 2020, 9:32 am Carleton would eventually make this a viable program, but unfortunately he passed away a couple months ago. Footballfan1's 2nd sentence says it all: Johnstown always has a handfull of nice athletes, but discipline has been a perennial achilles heel.
He was on the staff the past few years I think.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Being 'on the staff' as either a volunteer or assistant is not the same as being 'the man' and running things your way.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Carlton would have never been named the head coach
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

knowitall wrote: November 7th, 2020, 7:48 pm Carlton would have never been named the head coach
And "There's yer sign".
dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dadw/2sons »

I was on the sidelines of this game and it was bad. The way the Johnstown players acted was very bad. I am not sure if anybody could go in that situation and correct it. It is not just a Johnstown problem. It might not be as bad everywhere else as it is there, but it is bad. As a parent you can't parent, as a teacher you can't teach and as a coach you can't coach in a society where no one wants to be corrected. Nobody wants to be corrected because nobody does anything wrong. In the case of Johnstown, the situation is even worse because of the environment these kids grow up in. I can't imagine what all they go through in their daily lives. I don't think any one coach could change this culture.

On a lighter note it was fun being there to witness such a big upset where a single A school takes down a much bigger AAAA school. It doesn't happen much, but it is fun t be a part of it when it does.