Best d6 Football Teams Ever

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Best d6 Football Teams Ever

Post by Manfred »

Maybe as in "not held back a year" as several have done, incl. FH.
It ain't over until it's over.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

What's the question about FH using a True Freshman in FH's finish to the 1996 season???? Dave Poldiak was one of the North's QB's in the 2000 Lantzy game. He would have been a senior football player in the fall of 1999. Therefore in 1996, he would have been a freshman, a sophomore in 1997, and a junior in 1998.
Skippy
Senior
Senior

Post by Skippy »

i think the question is based on the fact that the distinction of "true" freshman is not usually applied to high school sports as there is not a red-shirt process as in college athletics. Although the way Manfred explained what it could have meant made sense, not a kid held back in elementary school.
Slippery95
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Slippery95 »

Lock Haven High School in 1992, 93 and 94 were all great teams..............the 92 team probably being the best!

The school does not exist any longer and the classifications were different back then but I have a hard time believing that any mid-to-large school in Distrcit-6 would have been able to run with them. I believe that they had a 1000 yard running back, a 2500 yard quarterback and 2 1000 WRs. Their line was big and their defense violent!
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Slippery95 wrote:Lock Haven High School in 1992, 93 and 94 were all great teams..............the 92 team probably being the best!

The school does not exist any longer and the classifications were different back then but I have a hard time believing that any mid-to-large school in Distrcit-6 would have been able to run with them. I believe that they had a 1000 yard running back, a 2500 yard quarterback and 2 1000 WRs. Their line was big and their defense violent!
We lost to them by 1 in 94 in the district championship game. Missed a long FG attempt to win it. Lost to them in the champ again in 96.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
Capnweird
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Capnweird »

The 2009 State College team that lost in the AAAA (biggest classification at the time) State Championship game. They had several D1 players on that team including Alex Kinney who went on to play at PSU. During their playoff run they beat some true powerhouse teams for the era and had a play or two gone the other way may have even beaten La Salle College for the State Title.
Nothing against the schools listed from the smaller classifications, but getting that far in the largest classification and having that much post-high school talent has to be near the top of the list of best teams in district history, even if they did not win the title.
reugenev
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by reugenev »

I can’t remember the year, but I have a soft spot for the Johnstown Vo-Tech team led by Brian Rozich and Chris Mangus that knocked off Indiana in an epic D6 upset!
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Bellwood in 97 was really good. Made the final 4 lost on a last second fg to Sharpesville.
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

reugenev wrote: January 6th, 2022, 6:27 pm I can’t remember the year, but I have a soft spot for the Johnstown Vo-Tech team led by Brian Rozich and Chris Mangus that knocked off Indiana in an epic D6 upset!
It was 1986. It's crazy how much that team is remembered by many who have no affiliation with that school.
GoDragons
Senior
Senior

Post by GoDragons »

The 2002 Altoona High School Team. They lost in the Western Final to Woodland Hills. Woodland Hills was ranked 3rd in the country by USA today at the time. They had a huge line and Joey Kleiner at QB, Brendan Peretta at WR and Thad Mitchell at RB. I remember watching them play. It looked liked a small college team.