6A and 5A State Playoffs

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

6A and 5A State Playoffs

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

AAAAAA
State College (7-5) at State College (12-1) Saturday 1:00 p.m.
McDowell (9-3) at Mt. Lebanon (12-0) Friday 7:00 p.m.
Coatesville (12-1) at Garnet Valley (13-0) Friday 7:00 p.m.
St. Joe's Prep (9-2) vs. Freedom (12-2) AT Cardinal O'Hara 6:00 p.m.

AAAAA
Exeter Township (9-3) at Governor Mifflin (10-0) Friday 7:00 p.m.
Penn Trafford (10-2) vs. Moon (12-0) AT Heinz Field Saturday 6:00 p.m.
Cathedral Prep (11-1) vs. Imhotep Charter (9-1) AT Bald Eagles HS Saturday 3:00 p.m.
Strath Haven (12-1) at Bayard Rustin (11-1) Friday 7:00 p.m.

Any games/teams/players stand out to you?

I guess I'm rooting for Cathedral Prep to play Governor Mifflin in the state final. Because technically the way the bracket reads Governor Mifflin (District 3) would be the Western champ, and Cathedral Prep (D-10) would be the Eastern representative. I'm all for the PIAA confusion style final.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: 6A and 5A State Playoffs

Gov. Mifflin has Nicholas Singleton, arguably the top player in the state. Four-star RB committed to Penn State. He's quite good.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

I will say, the one thing six classes has absolutely killed is big school football in Western Pa. There's like 7 WPIAL 6A schools. Allderdice, Altoona, State College, Erie, and McDowell and that's it. Hard to get juiced up about only having 12 schools this side of Harrisburg in the largest classification.

In the four class alignment, the WPIAL AAAA title game was always such a big deal. I remember going to Heinz Field in '04 to see Central Catholic and Gateway play. 2004 CC was probably the best team I've ever seen in Pennsylvania and Gateway had Justin King, five-star recruit and top player in the state. The atmosphere and hype around that game was so big.

Then you look at the AAAAAA game this year. It was held at a high school game, a week before the other WPIAL finals, and everyone knew it was going to Mt. Lebo and Central before the season started. No suspense, no hype.

I'd like to see them cut it back to five classes to sort of even out this end of the state.
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

A little off the topic but what happened to the WPIAL games being on TV. Always loved watching those games to see who the local schools were gonna play the following week.
Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Blueandwhitefan »

Goldeneagles12 wrote: November 25th, 2021, 10:23 am A little off the topic but what happened to the WPIAL games being on TV. Always loved watching those games to see who the local schools were gonna play the following week.
If you have comcast. The CW network is carrying the games live.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!!!
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Blueandwhitefan wrote: November 25th, 2021, 6:12 pm
Goldeneagles12 wrote: November 25th, 2021, 10:23 am A little off the topic but what happened to the WPIAL games being on TV. Always loved watching those games to see who the local schools were gonna play the following week.
OK. I was checking the old channel they were on.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

I have Comcast for my internet. I also have a FREE over-the-air antenna that receives the CW network on 6.4. I see no listings in the Trib-Dim TV section for any football playoffs today or tomorrow. Isn't one Comcast feed the same as another? :-w
It ain't over until it's over.
Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Manfred wrote: November 26th, 2021, 10:55 am
I have Comcast for my internet. I also have a FREE over-the-air antenna that receives the CW network on 6.4. I see no listings in the Trib-Dim TV section for any football playoffs today or tomorrow. Isn't one Comcast feed the same as another? :-w
I'm really not sure. I watch the CW news in the morning and they have been talking about it all week. My online guide shows 12 pm start tomorrow for the 3A game. 3 pm for 4A. And 6 pm for 5A.
Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Blueandwhitefan wrote: November 26th, 2021, 5:12 pm
Manfred wrote: November 26th, 2021, 10:55 am

I'm really not sure. I watch the CW news in the morning and they have been talking about it all week. My online guide shows 12 pm start tomorrow for the 3A game. 3 pm for 4A. And 6 pm for 5A.
And its channel 808 on my comcast.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

The games have been on Trib HSSN streaming online.