PIAA Classification Craziness....Coming Soon!

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

PIAA Classification Craziness....Coming Soon!

Post by Coach »

Wait til you see what schools are going to become A and AA, etc because a bizarre PIAA rule that was figured out is changing everything. This rule makes zero sense!!

If kids leave the building at all to go to tech school (even part time), they only count as 10% of your enrollment. So, if you send 50 boys to a tech school for a couple classes a day, those 50 boys now count as 5. It is absolute craziness. A student can come to your school on the bus, stay all morning, eat lunch, then leave for 2 hours in the afternoon and they suddenly only count as 10% yours (even when the tech school has no sports or anything like that). If your school offers the vo-tech at the regular school, the numbers don't change.

This is going to be a huge game changer and unfortunately, in my opinion, another blow to the traditional small schools. A school with 180 boys sends 60 boys to tech classes a couple miles down the road. Those 60 now count as 6. So that is -54. 180-54. That school now has 126 and is Class A. Huh?

It sure is going to be interesting to see what happens in all boys and girls sports with this....
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: PIAA Classification Craziness....Coming Soon!

Post by upnorth »

Bellefonte, Penns Valley and Bald Eagle all send kids to CPI in Centre County which has just under 450 kids attending (all part time). Bellefonte has 900 kids in total enrolled in the high school. I can't imagine them being smaller than 4-A, but it seems it is possible for them to drop to at least 3-A if not 2-A. Crazy...
guru1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by guru1 »

Coach wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 8:16 pm Wait til you see what schools are going to become A and AA, etc because a PIAA rule that was figured out is changing everything.

If kids leave the building at all to go to tech school (even part time), they only count as 10% of your enrollment. So, if you send 50 boys to a tech school for a couple classes a day, those 50 boys now count as 5. It is absolute craziness. A student can come to your school on the bus, stay all morning, eat lunch, then leave for 2 hours in the afternoon and they suddenly only count as 10% yours (even when the tech school has no sports or anything like that). If your school offers the vo-tech at the regular school, the numbers don't change.

This is going to be a huge game changer and unfortunately, in my opinion, another blow to the traditional small schools. A school with 180 boys sends 60 boys to tech classes a couple miles down the road. Those 60 now count as 6. So that is -54. 180-54. That school now has 126 and is Class A. Huh?

It sure is going to be interesting to see what happens in all boys and girls sports with this....

Any schools in particular you know for sure moving?
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

And some schools with mask fights have a bunch of kids in cyber to boot…
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I heard something like Woodland Hills to AAA, that is a 5A school currently.
costanza
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by costanza »

I have heard of this issue within the past week as well. Now, with some of these schools trying this method, won't it change the cut off lines already established for each sport? (For instance, the football parameter for 1A was 138)
Jumptwoone
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Jumptwoone »

I can not believe that his this accurate in the least. Someone would have to explain to me the rational behind this rule before I can believe it is even being discussed at the state level.

However, if this does happen, I am not convinced that you will see these larger schools infiltrate the small school ranks............I think that it is likely that you will see Double-A and Triple-A be effected the most. The fact is that most/all true small schools do not have Vo-Tech Program in house (they are just too expensive to fund). This means that all of these small schools send their kids out to local programs or neighboring schools. Assuming that no small schools send a disproportionately low number of students to this Vo-Tech of choice then all of the small schools shrink at roughly the same rate.

Simply put, the "cut-off number" will shrink ultimately keeping the same teams are the same classification.

The opposite holds true for larger schools. Most large schools (5-A and 6-A) have in house programs......so this 1/10th rule will not show the same results.

Those mid-sized schools (3-A and 4-A) seemingly may or may not have Vo-Tech Programs in house.......this is where the problems will exist. A financial stable 3-A school who invested in their own Vo-Tech Program will not see the 1/10th rule apply to them. A school who has not invested and sends kids to a local program will be applying this 1/10th rule and the result will likely be a drop in classification.

You will see some 4-A and 3-A schools drop "their number" while others do not. This will cause some to drop in classification and others will not.

Another interesting factor worth talking about..............how many of these Vo-Tech programs are considered a "different school" but operate under the same roof as an existing high school. I can name more than one that this would apply to.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Do Vo-tech students not participate in sports? So who saw this as a loophole to help themselves drop down a class and what made this get approved other than a terrible system not looking out for everyone's interest.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Capnweird
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Capnweird »

We all know the countless rumors about the program, but one of the stories that I heard about Southern Columbia is that they have numerous male students non-athletes) who attend a full day Vo-Tech. As the theorist who told me this said they ship the boys who don't play sports there.That would keep their numbers down as they are not their students then. I know there are districts, or areas that have their own full-time Vo-Techs, like Johnstown used to have which compete, or competed as a separate team.

All this being said to say this, perhaps it is PIAA's way of trying to balance out the equations a bit since there are such things as full day Vo-techs and half day Vo-techs.

As some have said if everyone is impacted by this this will change the cut-offs drastically, and I don't see a lot of change to our classifications. An example would be the A/AA cut off which is right around 130. Southern Huntingdon is the last team in D6 AA at 138. If their numbers now drop because of this to say 118, but everyone else has a similar drop in their schools I can see the cut off dropping to around 115 to keep the numbers at each classification the same.
Let's not forget the numbers are flexible as they try to have an even number of schools at each classification state wide, not district wide.
Skippy
Senior
Senior

Post by Skippy »

The new cutoff numbers are posted on the PIAA site.

http://www.piaa.org/schools/default.aspx

First PDF under news and announcements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk