Why does Alliquipa choose to play up?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Why does Alliquipa choose to play up?

Post by youngbuck »

I know that due to their success, they are now forced to play as AAAA, but why did they initially choose to play up when they are a single A team?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Why does Alliquipa choose to play up?

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Initially, it was to maintain rivals and cut down on travel. Most of the Beaver county schools were always AA/AAA and the WPIAL forces teams to play in conferences by classification, not geography. Most of their natural rivals are just bigger than single-A.

Also because they're good and A would be too easy.
Big Ike
Junior
Junior

Post by Big Ike »

Crimson's Ghost wrote: November 24th, 2021, 5:16 pm Initially, it was to maintain rivals and cut down on travel. Most of the Beaver county schools were always AA/AAA and the WPIAL forces teams to play in conferences by classification, not geography. Most of their natural rivals are just bigger than single-A.

Also because they're good and A would be too easy.
Exactly! Will also add out of the 10(I think) years Clairton had/has dominated for about 4 of those teams would have challenged the quips imho but I would say realistically 2. They have made it to the bid stadium 14 years in a row and would own more titles including a few more state titles. However they seem to be even admitting something has to give in that they would be pushed up to an even higher class. That said also even though they would have most likely beat my 2005 Duquesne squad I still would have really liked them in May have put a dent in SoColumbia.
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

Knowing how stacked Central will be next year, would you play up to avoid them next year?