PIAA approves NIL for High School players.

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Rumorman78
Freshman
Freshman

PIAA approves NIL for High School players.

Post by Rumorman78 »

Just read PIAA has approved a first reading, must go through 3 to become official, to allow high school athletes to receive money for commercial endorsements and promotional activities in order to profit off their name image and likeness. I am wondering what the forum thinks about this, good or bad for high school sports?
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: PIAA approves NIL for High School players.

Post by knowitall »

Interesting to see how this works. If mom buys a badge with her kid's picture on it, does the kid get a cut of the proceeds?
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Bad..
It ain't over until it's over.
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

Agree with Manfred, this is all bad
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

This doesn't really have any "bad" effects to high school athletics in Central PA. I think the top 1% of high school athletics (IMG Academy, St Aquinas, Mater Dai, St Frances Academy, etc.) are about to get very ugly but they were already pretty close to there already. I just don't see NIL effecting anything in our area negatively.

If a legitimate top end D1 prospect comes through our area, they were HIGHLY likely to leave for a athletic prep program out of the area before and after this. That doesn't really change anything.

Now if a local car dealership wants to have a "meet the _______ night" in mid August to promote the upcoming season and bring a few hundred people over to their dealership for the evening. They can do it and give the kids on the football team all $50 for their time. What is wrong with that? Or if a local sporting goods store wants to host a basketball clinic with a half dozen of the local high school hardwood stars, the kids can actually maybe pocket $100 for their time. I don't see that really muddying the waters of small town high school athletics.
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

So when the big money donors at BM, BG or BC want to give athletes some cash now they have a direct line to do it. So when Southern Columbia needs another stud wr, because Fleming graduates, they can dump cash right to the kid.
Why play basketball at Central Cambria when my neighbor is making bank at BC.
And that is just at our district level.

Are we going to pretend Tyler Boyd and Lamont Wade's if the future are going to stay at Clariton when there is money to be made?

If Pitt cant keep Addison, it will be worse at the high school level.
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Yes this is very dumb. Most players will probably be clueless of what the offers for this and that might be. Greedy parents are going to be the biggest problem.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I don't see it being a big deal to 99.9% of athletes in Pennsylvania. It just means Rodney Gallagher can make a few bucks this year from an endorsement.
ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ChrisKentRam »

Was there ever a doubt Crimson wouldn’t have a problem with this lol. I have no problem with it in college, but this is not the purpose of high school athletics. It has no place in high school athletics, and that’s without even getting into it helping the privates and charters.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

ChrisKentRam wrote: July 19th, 2022, 11:31 pm Was there ever a doubt Crimson wouldn’t have a problem with this lol. I have no problem with it in college, but this is not the purpose of high school athletics. It has no place in high school athletics, and that’s without even getting into it helping the privates and charters.
Yea, I just don't see this affecting the local D5 and D6 scene much. We're going on like 6 years of there not being a Power 5 football player from this area. Who is commanding NIL money around here?