ICC 2022 PREVIEW

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
ICCFan
Sophomore
Sophomore

ICC 2022 PREVIEW

Post by ICCFan »

The ICC goes back to a two divisional Gold and Silver (based on enrollment) format for 2022 only, which will prevent a marquee Northern Bedford vs Bellwood matchup and one true champion, from emerging this year. This format was decided on before last years expansion which was for some reason was done in ‘panic mode’ instead of letting things ride till the next 2-year PIAA cycle.

In 2023 the ICC will go North/South which will for all intents and purposes be a District 5 division and a District 6 division with Tussey Mountain, Everett, and Northern Bedford joining newcomers Berlin, North Star, Windber and Meyersdale in the South.

On to this years preview!

Both divisions have obvious favorites but plenty of intrigue regarding the rest of the pack. There will undoubtedly be some surprises. I’m picking Curwensville, West Branch and Glendale to potentially surprise but it could just as easily be Mt. Union, Tussey Mt. and Mo Valley. Here’s my (probably way too) early team by team breakdown and final regular season record pick.

GOLD DIVISION

1. Bellwood – Even with some seismic losses, how can you NOT pick the Blue Devils to win their division? They’ve been very dominant over the years and seem to be able to reload more easily than anyone else in the league. Their strength will be the OL so I expect them to be very run oriented this year. Their defense should be ahead of their offense and pretty good. Southern Huntingdon and Juniata Valley may be the only ICC teams on their schedule that have a chance to pull the upset. I see an 8-2 or 9-1 season and possibly unbeaten in the league (again!) in their final ICC season.
2. Curwensville – They return a healthy number of starters (5 Offensive and 6 Defensive) and 2nd team All-ICC QB Danny McGarry this season. How much will they miss WR Ty Terry (who is now at Clarion?) or can they fill in the gaps. They also return Thad Butler, a second team All-ICC RB last year. I’ll go out on a limb and say I think they have the right mix to elevate to #2 in this division if their WR corp proves to be adequate. I’ll pick the Golden Tide as a 7-3 team, in my surprise of the year.
3. Southern Huntingdon – Even though I pick them at #3, they may be the only Gold Division team that can pull off a Bellwood upset. They get them at home on Sep. 30. The main reason I say that is the league’s top player, Nate Myers can make things happen and will provide problems for everyone the Rockets face. He had over 3,000 all-purpose yards a year ago. They also return two 2nd team All-ICC picks, Mitchell Hart (LB) and Owen Winter (WR) so they have some athletes to go with Myers. Beyond that and particularly on the line and at RB are where the big questions are. If their QB stays healthy look for the Rockets to piece together another nice season. 6-4 possibly even 7-3.
4. West Branch – Big loss for the Warriors was Parker Johnson. Tyler Biggans returns at QB for WB which is a plus. They have a very favorable early season schedule and if they can get 3 of their first 4 in the “W” column they could have a .500+ season. I’ll go with 4-6
5. Mt. Union – It was difficult for me to put the Trojans this low knowing all the athletes they have. However, after the way last season ended, I’m not sure who will be even playing for them this year and if the pieces can be put back together. If (and it’s a BIG if) everything comes together and is in harmony for the Trojans, then they could be the surprise team in the league and finish as high as 2nd in the Gold Division. But that will be a monumental task. I’m going to call this 3-7.
6. Everett – This program has nowhere to go but up but it is probably another year (if not two) away from that. They only return 3 seniors from a one-win team. I do believe that they will be more competitive but this is a massive rebuilding job and will take some time. 1-9, they’ll shock someone.

SILVER DIVISION

1. Northern Bedford – After a State Quarterfinal run a year ago, the Panthers return a strong nucleus of skill position players. The big question will be on the line where NB is inexperienced. Aaron Bowers, now a SOPH, returns after a huge surge in his play during the Panthers playoff run and having led the area with 6 Interceptions as a Freshman. They are undoubtedly the team to beat in the Silver and it could come down to a late October showdown with Juniata Valley to determine the divisional title. The most tradition rich program in the league (other than Bellwood of course) will find away to piece together a formidable line on both sides of the ball. I’ll call the Panthers a 9-1 team this year.
2. Juniata Valley – The Hornets lost a lot of offensive firepower but have the making of a solid defense behind first team ICC DB Jacob Rodkey. We will learn a lot about the Hornets in Weeks 3-5 as they face a stretch that includes Southern Huntingdon, Windber and then a home showdown with Bellwood. If they come out of that stretch healthy and with a win or two, then the showdown at NBC will be on in Loysburg on Oct. 21. I’ll pick the Hornets to finish 6-4.
3. Glendale – The Vikings were 6-6 last year. Their top returnee is RB Zeke Dubler. They return a healthy number of starters and should be able to equal last years .500 finish. The bottom 4 spots in the Silver could go any number of ways and their will be some teams beating each other. I’ll put the Vikes at 5-5.
4. Claysburg – The Bulldogs look to be improved this year with weapons Caleb Oakes (QB) and Cole Claycomb (RB) returning. Look for the Dawgs to put up lots of points, but they may give up a bunch as well. The Offensive line is a huge question mark. This could go a lot of different ways for the Dawgs. I can see them anywhere from 2nd to 6th in the division. I’m going middle of the road and picking a 4-6 finish.
5. Tussey Mountain – An experienced line and some young speed and talent could spell a nice season for the Titans. But there are so many questions. And they are so young. Like Claysburg, they could land at two different ends of the spectrum this year. I see some improvement but still a year away from challenging for a divisional title. I’ll go with 4-6 for the Titans this fall.
6. Moshannon Valley – The Knights return 1,000 yard rusher and 1st team All-ICC pick Levi Knuth and a veteran OL. Like the other Silver division 3-5 teams, this could go a number of ways. I think the opener vs Tussey is a huge game for both those teams and could springboard either one to a .500 season. But until I actually see the progress, it’s hard for me to give MV respect that they may deserve and I’ll pick them at the bottom and with a 3-7 finish.
Rumorman78
Freshman
Freshman

Re: ICC 2022 PREVIEW

Post by Rumorman78 »

I enjoyed your post, it was very informative, and to the point. Just wondering any insight on how the crossover games between north and south divisions will be scheduled in 2023.
davesandstorm
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by davesandstorm »

We're returning 18 starters this season, so a 3-7 finish would be surprising.
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

davesandstorm wrote: August 19th, 2022, 1:37 pm We're returning 18 starters this season, so a 3-7 finish would be surprising.
would you be happier with 4-6 or 5-5
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
davesandstorm
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by davesandstorm »

Wrasslerfan wrote: August 26th, 2022, 3:53 am
davesandstorm wrote: August 19th, 2022, 1:37 pm We're returning 18 starters this season, so a 3-7 finish would be surprising.
would you be happier with 4-6 or 5-5
Obviously you'd be happier with more wins, no?
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

yes i would actually
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable