Southern Columbia

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
footballfan1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Southern Columbia

Post by footballfan1 »

Did anyone read about the situation with SCA and a TikTok video?
footballfan1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Southern Columbia

Post by footballfan1 »

Penn live.com
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

Belle Vernon just had a very similar incident happen.

I feel for the coaches who have so much to manage with these kids. I'm not excusing their actions, but I'm guessing they are mostly just dumb kids who don't really understand their actions.

I know I am happy my young and dumb days were well before social media....although there's no shortage of old and dumb people on it too, so I dunno. Message boards are about as public as I get because it all seems so toxic to me.
Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Blueandwhitefan »

The newscast I listened to said there were racist signs at the school during the pep rally. These signs were then displayed at the game. The administration stated they are investigating what staff were present, and which ones saw them. I think they are asking Sgt. Shultz!!!
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!!!
fbfaneast
Freshman
Freshman

Post by fbfaneast »

Blueandwhitefan, I'm not sure whose news you were listening to, but they fed you some misinformation.
The signs in question were never at the game nor at the school. They were at a community pep rally. The sign maker had no intention of being racist and said they've used the term "whip" with other schools before that started with a W. It was seen as potentially in bad taste and was removed rather quickly by a parent. The Southern State of Mind banner is used all the time and is referring to the mindset of working hard and winning states, which is what they were brought up in within the Southern football program. It's referring to the school and has no racial connotations.
The two young underclassmen on the video and the one that taped it are not allowed to play sports for one year. However, this was a TikTok format they copied. Multiple other videos similar to this exist if you do a search on the platform. They never said the N word, but it's part of the lyrics of the song these kids are using.
I have some issues with Westinghouse making everything racist. Wreck Westinghouse on a sign and a girl in a black coat that said Southern were also said to be racist. Their one coach said he heard nothing racist from the field. However, prior to the game the Westinghouse side would not stop cheering during the National Anthem. They finished it by yelling "FU N****" towards the SCA sideline and giving the middle finger. This was before the game started. This was before the TikTok video or them seeing a picture of the sign at the pep rally. They called a predominantly white sideline the N word but then try to say SCA is the racist side. Sorry, that kind of made them seem to be a bit too focused on race to me. Not everything is racist, but yelling the N word should be considered racist no matter who says it.