Early signing

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Early signing

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

knowitall wrote: February 1st, 2023, 8:02 pm St Francis has 82 players on its current roster and announced a signing class of 27 new players. Common sense says many of those kids will not see the field.
Yes, that is how college football works.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

So actually St. Francis is not like a traditional Division I football team, but like the old Division I-aa (FCS) classification, which Mustard alluded to. So if St.Francis can only give out 63 total football scholarships each year, and has 82 players on their team, there are alot of players then, who are only getting partial athletic scholarships. Now I know there is alot of other aid available, but they are still left with a big co-pay for 4 years.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

As per their website, the estimated cost of a 4 year education and living on campus at SFU is $204,310. Even with other aid, someone's gonna pay alot to play football.
Capnweird
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Capnweird »

Maybe a lot to pay to play football, but it is also earning a college degree for less money than the general student, and in most of their cases they are paying a lot less than the typical student and getting more academic assistance (tudoring, studyhalls, academic advisors) than the typical student. Of course they don't all graduate and some don't work out, but most of them will graduate and do so at a discounted rate.

A lot of talk about kids going to college to earn degrees that can lead them to professional jobs, why does it matter if they are getting full rides or partial or even walking on. These are young people who are making decisions about their futures beyond going straight to work or living with their parents until they are thirty. For that, I say good for them, I certainly find it impressive to simply be considered to be a college athlete.
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

Max Washington of Bedford signed with Millersville.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Everything Capnweird said about earning a college degree has a gain of truth to it And it can be impressive to be considered a college athlete. But there are several ways to look at something. Let's say there are two kids who are going to play college football and want to become history teachers. One is attending SFU, one is attending Millersville. Each gets a quarter athletic scholarship each year.. The cost at SFU is $51,073 per year. The cost at Millersville is $30538. Without additional aid, the SFU kid will get his degree after 4 years and owe $$149,212. The Millersville kid will also get his degree, and will owe $88,899. Alot of difference in one's thinking where to play football.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

A walk on is probably going to pay 1/3-2/3 the total cost of tuition his freshman season at a private school. He’ll probably pay more at a public school. It’s year two where he might be hit with the total bill.
musty
Freshman
Freshman

Post by musty »

Some kids receive academic money as well and can be coupled with some athletic funding in a package form. I know this is done in Collegiate wrestling (only 9.9 full scholarships) .
southpaw
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by southpaw »

El-Moldo wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 9:38 pm Everything Capnweird said about earning a college degree has a gain of truth to it And it can be impressive to be considered a college athlete. But there are several ways to look at something. Let's say there are two kids who are going to play college football and want to become history teachers. One is attending SFU, one is attending Millersville. Each gets a quarter athletic scholarship each year.. The cost at SFU is $51,073 per year. The cost at Millersville is $30538. Without additional aid, the SFU kid will get his degree after 4 years and owe $$149,212. The Millersville kid will also get his degree, and will owe $88,899. Alot of difference in one's thinking where to play football.
That's a lot of student loan debt to be a 45K History Teacher.
"I'm your huckleberry"
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Ranger Devin Kreger will play baseball @ Lebanon Val. Coll. along with getting a degree.
It ain't over until it's over.