Early signing

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Early signing

Post by Colonel Mustard »

El-Moldo wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 9:38 pm Everything Capnweird said about earning a college degree has a gain of truth to it And it can be impressive to be considered a college athlete. But there are several ways to look at something. Let's say there are two kids who are going to play college football and want to become history teachers. One is attending SFU, one is attending Millersville. Each gets a quarter athletic scholarship each year.. The cost at SFU is $51,073 per year. The cost at Millersville is $30538. Without additional aid, the SFU kid will get his degree after 4 years and owe $$149,212. The Millersville kid will also get his degree, and will owe $88,899. Alot of difference in one's thinking where to play football.
I wasn't a math major, but something doesn't look right here. Bottom line, if a kid wants to go somewhere and play football, and that football team will let him be on the team, and the kids parents are willing to pay, why does anyone care? Kids that don"t play football overpay for degrees, quit school, transfer, all the time. Good luck to all signers. Be patient enjoy your time in school. It goes fast.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

I am curious as to whether schools like IUP, Ship, and Slippery Rock recruited these same kids. No locals on any of those signing lists.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Everything looks right with my figures. When all things are taken into consideration, is there anything special about playing football at St. Francis (unless it's taking a certain major that other schools don't have), that would make you spend so much more money than playing football at another school and still receive the same degree after it's all over.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

El-Moldo wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 12:57 pm Everything looks right with my figures. When all things are taken into consideration, is there anything special about playing football at St. Francis (unless it's taking a certain major that other schools don't have), that would make you spend so much more money than playing football at another school and still receive the same degree after it's all over.
My mistake. I missed the part about the quarter scholarship. See, I'm not a math or reading comprehension expert. A lot of regular kids choose SFU over cheaper schools. Its a personal choice. Maybe they want a smaller campus, or conservative Catholic values, or to be close to home, or to have a private school degree. And some just want to be on a D1 football roster. What is wrong with that?
guru1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by guru1 »

Just caught up on this thread. Two thoughts:
1. My son considered a private school (Not St Francis but same tuition level) and Penn State… the private schools publish high rates but almost everyone gets money. He applied and the next day he was offered half off tuition based on academics making it in the same general price range as the other schools… he’s a smart kid but not 4.0 or anything so I think this is fairly common….

2. My other son went to IUP and I attended all their home games for a few years… just my opinion but IUP would throttle St Francis… SFU is only D1 football because they need to be for basketball… it’s a lower level of D1… absolutely nothing wrong with playing there at all.. that is still an incredible accomplishment for a local player but talent wise it’s no different than a psac school (maybe less than some) in my opinion
IToldYouSo
Freshman
Freshman

Post by IToldYouSo »

When is the last time you saw St. Francis play?
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

:o) no
guru1 wrote: February 5th, 2023, 7:59 am
2. My other son went to IUP and I attended all their home games for a few years… just my opinion but IUP would throttle St Francis… SFU is only D1 football because they need to be for basketball… it’s a lower level of D1… absolutely nothing wrong with playing there at all.. that is still an incredible accomplishment for a local player but talent wise it’s no different than a psac school (maybe less than some) in my opinion
They may be “just D1” for a variety of reasons, but at the end of the day, they have double the amount of scholarships to give, which means inevitably they’re going to acquire better talent. SFU just won the NEC didn’t they? I could see your statement holding some truth if they were 0-10 each year, but they’re competing.
MikeFLN
Freshman
Freshman

Post by MikeFLN »

guru1 wrote: February 5th, 2023, 7:59 am

10-15 years ago I would agree PSAC schools over NEC. Since the NEC started offering scholarships (36 at first) the gap closed. Now the NEC is vastly superior to the PSAC with no change in site.
CoffinCorner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CoffinCorner »

Sorry, but IUP or Slippery Rock and probably Cal U would beat SFU. Yes SFU can beat the Clarion and Lock Haven level schools
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

No, they wouldn't, Saint Francis would win the PSAC running away. The statement may have been true 10 years ago, but not now.

I don't care if Akron is the worst FBS team in all football, Saint Francis lost to them 30-23 in overtime. A 36 scholarship IUP team wouldn't come within a touchdown of a MAC team and I don't think they'd beat Saint Francis either.