2019-2020 Basketball Season/Predictions & Previews-Boys

Hardwood chatter
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

2019-2020 Basketball Season/Predictions & Previews-Boys

Post by CharlieConway »

Its finally here! First "official practice" of the hoops season opens tonight.

Who should we look out for? Teams and players to watch.

I like Bedford taking a step forward in the LHAC this year, I think they compete. New coach and plenty of experience. Who is the top dog now?

ICC/South - I'd say Tussey looks strong in the south, but I heard new coach as well there?? Can anyone confirm? Plenty of talent.
ICC/North - JV is tops in the North correct?

WestPac - I heard Berlin and Shade have a nice core returning. How is the rest of the conference?

Heritage - I don't have a clue.

Mountain Conference - Not a clue
Thanks!
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: 2019-2020 Basketball Season/Predictions & Previews-Boys

Post by Manfred »

I predict Johnstown wins more games than FH does. Who moves into town from Philly this year? I predict all of the LHAC teams win more games than FH does.
It ain't over until it's over.
BasketballFan12345
Freshman
Freshman

Post by BasketballFan12345 »

Rumor is not a lot of kids are coming out for b-ball for JV that played last year. May have less than 10 kids... if true I see them at the bottom of the icc
Tussey Mt. fan
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Tussey Mt. fan »

Yes new coach at Tussey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
saltsburgtrojanfan1989
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by saltsburgtrojanfan1989 »

In the Heritage South, Saltsburg and Ligonier Valley should contend. Saltsburg basically returns a nice core. LV has the Marinchak Boys. United took a big hit with the loss of Kyle Silk.

In the Heritage North, it is Purchase Line's to lose. PL has a nice core returning.
sportsfan1072
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by sportsfan1072 »

LHAC:

Top Tier:
1. Bishop Guilfoyle (2019 - 28-3) They lose 2 players, one being Ruggery, who is now at Saint Francis. Didn't they recently have a transfer from St Josephs? Their roster is not updated on MaxPreps. I look for them to win the league if that is the case, Even if they didn't, they should still be near the top.
2. Johnstown (2019 20-3) Always a good team, but seem to get easily flustered if they get down, only lose 2 starters.
3. Bishop Carroll (2019 20-6) Return one of the top players in the area. Will miss Ertter, but played without him some last year due to injury if I'm not mistaken.
4. Richland (2019 20-7) Tough to replace top scorer and inside player Instone. Lose 2 of top 3 scorers but return Burke. Should still be good - towards the top of the league.

Middle Tier:
5. Bedford (2019 12-13) Only lose 2 players, good bit of experience returning, predicting a better season than last year.
6. Chestnut Ridge (2019 5-17) Only lose 1 player so they return some experience. I look for them to improve on last season.
7. Westmont Hilltop (2019 6-15) Return top scorer and seem to be returning some other guys with some playing time. Also looking for them to improve on last season.
8. Penn Cambria (2019 5-17) Return 3 of top 5 scorers and seems like some other guys got some good experience last season, I look for them to be a little better than last year.
9. Bishop McCort (2019 12-13) Lose top 2 scorers including one of the top scorers in the area in Seidel. But they seemed to have a lot of jr's see some good playing time last year. Maybe a slight drop from last year.
10.Central Cambria (2019 9-14) I look for them to finish similar to last year. Return a nice group of guards including staring pg, but I think their inside players lack experience. But If I recall, they didn't have a big inside presence last year.

Bottom Tier
11. Somerset (2019 6-18) Don't know much about them - anyone have any insight?
12. Cambria Heights (2019 12-11) Lose 3 of top 5 scorers including Wholaver. I don't think they will reach the .500 mark this year.
13. Forest Hills (2019 17-10) Lose all 5 starters and 5 of top 6 scorers. Only returning 1 player with a significant amount of playing time.

I think the games between the teams I have listed in the middle tier should be very competitive for the most part. I used MaxPreps for my information on returners and such so if I missed anything, please speak up.

I do agree with Manfred, could be a long season in Sidman.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Johnstown will be good, but I think it lost three starters. Gause, Jones, and Chatman. Return the starting backcourt of Anderson Franklin and Gerson Simon. They'll be very good. Franklin is really, really good.

BG will be good too. They return basically everything aside from Ruggery, I don't think the transfer can participate in the postseason.

Richland will be good, so will be BC.

Basically the common theme is guard play. Franklin, Jessiah Witherspoon (BG), Burke, and McDannell from BC are pretty much the four best players in the league.
stownJohn
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by stownJohn »

Manfred wrote: November 18th, 2019, 3:45 pm I predict Johnstown wins more games than FH does. Who moves into town from Philly this year?
The City of Johnstown has been flooded with Philly transplants ever since the opioid crisis began so you would think by now that JHS would be loaded with big city talent but that’s simply not been the case.
EaglealumsGhost
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EaglealumsGhost »

Mt Conf. At a glance- 6 teams have a legitimate shot league honors. Huntingdon (lost a lot but Ritchey returns), Central, Tyrone, (these are my bet top3)... with Penns Valley , Clearfield and Bellefonte being right there too.... huge drop off after top 6
theprophet
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by theprophet »

Opioid epidemic has effected all communities in sad to say not just the city of Johnstown. I can look on my street in Ebensburg and see it. I think the people flooding to Johnstown from bigger city are not kids but adults looking to capatilze on a small city struggles. I wouldn’t expect it to have much of an influence on sports as a positive.