Holliday tournaments

Hardwood chatter
EaglealumsGhost
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Holliday tournaments

Post by EaglealumsGhost »

I’ll probably stick close for Tyrone Kiwanis tourney. Pretty good field for boys and Girls
Boys has Tyrone vs BA
And Bishop Carrol vs Hollidaysburg

Girls has Tyrone vs Penn Cambria
And BA vs Central
4 games Friday and 4 Saturday

Any other good tournaments over the Holliday?
bigtube
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Holliday tournaments

Post by bigtube »

War Memorial is having a shootout. BG girls and guys, McCort girls and guys, Westmont girls and guys, Portage girls, and Ferndale boys.

First game of the shootout is the 26th with a 2 pm tipoff Westmont girls vs Portage. Then Westmont boys vs Ferndale, then BG vs BM girls then boys.
On the 27th, Portage vs BG girls at 2, Ferndale vs BG boys at 4, Westmont vs McCort girls at 6 and Westmont vs McCort boys at 8.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

When did Bishop Guilfoyle replace Johnstown?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Side note, love the idea of having basketball at the War Memorial.

Not a fan of how the War Memorial Tournament is scheduled. McCort and Johnstown and McCort and Westmont play each other two times already, why is there a need for a third game? I'd rather see some out of town teams brought in, or an LHAC vs. WestPAC crossover - something other than an additional conference game.

The LHAC went to 18 conference games recently, so you only get 4 non-conference games. Why waste two of those four games on a team you play twice?
ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ChrisKentRam »

I agree with you Crimson. However, I am guessing their thinking was they just wanted to bring in teams that would draw the best crowds so they stuck to the local teams. More fans means they make more money. Unfortunately, even good teams outside the area usually can't draw that well.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

That was the undoing of the original War Memorial Tournament, I believe.

Maybe on different years it would be more exciting. I think McCort and Westmont are down a bit and Johnstown is considerably better. So I guess a third game with those teams doesn't really reveal anything.

I'd like a Cambria County vs. Blair County style shootout or Somerset County something like that. Where it's local, but a non-conference game at least.
bigtube
Freshman
Freshman

Post by bigtube »

I agree, I also hate the idea of playing conference games. Crossover games would be good, we will see how Westmont/ Portage girls draw. May be a benchmark for the future?
SFB14
Senior
Senior

Post by SFB14 »

According to Maxpreps the BG boys are playing Hempfield and Laurel Highlands the 27th & 28th. Sounds to me like a tournament over in the Pittsburgh area. The BG girls are listed as playing McCort and Portage so that looks like it would be in the War Memorial tournament. Unless Maxpreps has it wrong the girls team is the only one making the trip to Johnstown.
bigtube
Freshman
Freshman

Post by bigtube »

Sorry, I was misinformed. Here is the press release. Eight local boys’ teams and 4 local girls’ teams from the following schools will compete this year: Bishop McCort, Conemaugh Township, Conemaugh Valley, Ferndale, Forest Hills, Greater Johnstown, Penn Cambria, Portage, and Westmont Hilltop. The 4 girls teams are correct.
stownJohn
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by stownJohn »

Crimson's Ghost wrote: December 19th, 2019, 10:35 am I'd like a Cambria County vs. Blair County style shootout or Somerset County something like that. Where it's local, but a non-conference game at least.
Johnstown vs Altoona and Bishop McCort vs Bishop Guilfoyle would be a pretty decent place to start.