BG vs Altoona sell out

Hardwood chatter
sportsfan1072
Sophomore
Sophomore

BG vs Altoona sell out

Post by sportsfan1072 »

There was an article in the Altoona Mirror this past Sunday concerning the BG vs Altoona boys basketball game happening tonight at the BG gym. Per the paper - the BG gym holds 700 people. The tickets went on sale and BG sold 600 to their students/fans/parents and gave 100 to Altoona for their player's parents and then to sell the left over. Altoona did not even have enough to sell to all the students who wanted to attend.

I don't attend many high school basketball games, but every game I have been to is first come first serve, if the gym fills up, too bad you should have gotten there sooner.

So my questions are as follows:

Is pre-sale of tickets a common practice for high school regular season games?

Is the game a big rivalry with BG being located in Altoona?

Why not play at a neutral site?

Thoughts and opinions?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: BG vs Altoona sell out

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Not uncommon for there to be presale for games. Some bigger basketball communities do that all the time, New Castle comes to mind.

I think there’s a rivalry because it’s so close and if I were BG I wouldn’t want to give up a home game.
D6sportsfan8819
Freshman
Freshman

Re: BG vs Altoona sell out

Post by D6sportsfan8819 »

It’s a very big rivalry. The two schools for years would play 2 times a year for a long time. Then with schedules being what they are they played once a year, home and home sequence. The last three years they played at Altoona. This years game is finally back at bg. The schools Both agreed to it. The tickets for the bg students were sold to them, and then tickets were made available to the public during a previous game. Not just bg people, but the public. If Altoona is upset how there allotment was divided up, that’s there administrations fault. I think playing it at a neutral site is an ok idea. But only if it’s always there. It shouldn’t be Altoona gets a home game, and as the Altoona Atheltic twitter account, I.e. Phil riccio said, schools with smaller gyms have the right to host at a larger nuetral site. That’s just unfair.
No matter what should be a good, fun game. If you don’t have tickets, like I don’t, listen to it on the radio.