PIAA Boys State Playoffs

Hardwood chatter
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: PIAA Boys State Playoffs

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

The top team in the bracket gets to decide whether they want to host or find a neutral site, I think it's as simple as that for these playoffs under the circumstances. Berlin could have chose to host if they wanted.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Crimson's Ghost wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 10:26 am The top team in the bracket gets to decide whether they want to host or find a neutral site, I think it's as simple as that for these playoffs under the circumstances. Berlin could have chose to host if they wanted.
I call BS to your post. HOW can the #1 team in the state, for the past month, regardless of class, NOT be the top team in the bracket over teams with 3, 4 losses? Punxsy was undefeated as well and had to travel to Mohawk (18-4).
It ain't over until it's over.
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

Crimson is correct to the best of my knowledge. Brackets are set up way ahead of time. Ranking or record has nothing to do with it. For instance if the District 9 champ is playing the District 5 champ, it is determined before the season which district is hosting. They usually alternate every other year. This year the team in the top of the bracket is the home team due to covid. Bedford was that team in football and could have played at home but chose to play at Hollidaysburg/Windber/Mansion.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

TheAnalyst wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 11:10 am Crimson is correct to the best of my knowledge. Brackets are set up way ahead of time. Ranking or record has nothing to do with it. For instance if the District 9 champ is playing the District 5 champ, it is determined before the season which district is hosting. They usually alternate every other year. This year the team in the top of the bracket is the home team due to covid. Bedford was that team in football and could have played at home but chose to play at Hollidaysburg/Windber/Mansion.
Read the quotes in today's paper from Berlin Coach Prosser. This bracket was not set in stone ahead of the season! Otherwise the game would be either @ Berlin or @ their opponent's court. I still call BS!
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

Don't have a subscription so can't read today's paper (not trying to be smart, can't even get paper copy). You have to look at the bracket on the PIAA site. In the first round Berlin was the top team in the bracket. It looks like either they, or D5, chose to play at Windber. They won and in the next game (Bishop Canevin) Berlin was the bottom team in the bracket so they had to travel to BC. Now in the semifinals Berlin is back to the top of the bracket and according to the bracket they are playing at Altoona. I can't be certain who picked that site but I still think it would be Berlin's choice. I say that because if you look at other brackets for other classes, teams are still playing on their home court. If you look at the other half of boys A, LaAcademia Charter is playing at Lancaster Catholic gym for both its games. I think that is their home court since they are a first year charter school and I'm guessing don't have their own gym.

For FH girls they have been in the bottom of the bracket for both games so they have had to travel to Fairview and now Mohawk. It is Mohawk's choice of where to play.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

TheAnalyst wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 1:02 pm Don't have a subscription so can't read today's paper (not trying to be smart, can't even get paper copy). You have to look at the bracket on the PIAA site. In the first round Berlin was the top team in the bracket. It looks like either they, or D5, chose to play at Windber. They won and in the next game (Bishop Canevin) Berlin was the bottom team in the bracket so they had to travel to BC. Now in the semifinals Berlin is back to the top of the bracket and according to the bracket they are playing at Altoona. I can't be certain who picked that site but I still think it would be Berlin's choice. I say that because if you look at other brackets for other classes, teams are still playing on their home court. If you look at the other half of boys A, LaAcademia Charter is playing at Lancaster Catholic gym for both its games. I think that is their home court since they are a first year charter school and I'm guessing don't have their own gym.

For FH girls they have been in the bottom of the bracket for both games so they have had to travel to Fairview and now Mohawk. It is Mohawk's choice of where to play.
You are still evading the main point. FH was, and IS, the top ranked team in the state, ANY class, and they get shunted to the bottom of whatever bracket you want to look at? And Penns Manor girls traveled 25 mi. Totally fair.
costanza
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by costanza »

As was mentioned earlier, it has absolutely nothing to do with Statewide rankings. Those are just subjective rankings based on media. The PIAA brackets are set up according to top end of the bracket would be the host. I agree that it is not fair with teams this deep into the playoffs being able to host.
costanza
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by costanza »

And I do know that Penns Manor selected Central Cambria, so they could have more people at the game.
lhacbigfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by lhacbigfan »

From Bob Greenburg on Twitter
From PIAA's Bob Lombardi, the basketball brackets were set up this year with the District with the larger number of schools in that class at the top of pairing. That is why D7 will get an inordinate amount of home games.
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

When have the brackets in any sport ever been set up by ranking? And then by whose ranking, Penn Live, Maxpreps, etc?