Harmony/St. Joes

Hardwood chatter
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Harmony/St. Joes

Post by Manfred »

It's always hard to swallow when your team loses at the very end of a game, but the end of a game is just the consequence of the 4 quarters that preceded. What about that blown layup in the first quarter, or the missed free throws in the 2nd quarter? Or all those turnovers? These did not actually happen, I think, I merely throw them out there as possibilities in any game. The entire game is a chain of events, and to put blame or praise on something at the end of a game just loses all perspective of the game. Take care of business from the opening tip, don't 'hang around' until the final buzzer and expect some miracle.
It ain't over until it's over.
Prince Sidewinder
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Prince Sidewinder »

Manfred that is understood in all games but for an obvious missed call by an official(s) it is tough. The players turn it over, the players miss the shots, but the rule is the rule. Let the players do their thing and it’s single A basketball. There are missed layups, missed free throws, turnovers, and coaching mistakes. That’s how the game should be determined. The officials determined the outcome of that game. The officials should have quickly discussed it so they all were on the same page. You cannot control the ball for a shot with 3/10ths of a second or less on the clock.
As for the technical foul, I find it to be petty. The Saint Joe’s bench sees the desperation shot miss and did not realize there was a timeout called. They thought they won!!
I have no skin in this game but the officials determined the outcome of that game.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

The technical is what it is, but the last shot shouldn't have counted. It's that simple.
upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by upnorth »

Pretty safe to say that it was a blown call. Not only was there "control", but the Harmony player did not get the "tip" off before time expired. Tough way to miss out on playing for a district championship.
mc.jpg
reugenev
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by reugenev »

Tough to swallow yes, but if you took still photos of the entire game I am sure you could find a number of “missed calls”. There is no instant replay in HS so it’s a judgement call. Every Sunday in the NFL you see the play clock hit zero yet still no delay of game call. Great win for the Single A boundary restricted Harmony Owls!
reugenev
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by reugenev »

Found the rule which states:
5-2-5 . . . When play is resumed with a throw-in or free throw and three-tenths (. 3) of a second or less remains on the clock, a player may not gain control of the ball and try for a field goal.

So the judgement call is—- did the official feel the player gained control of the ball? Looks like he did but that’s still a judgement call