Harmony/St. Joes

Hardwood chatter
lhacbigfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Harmony/St. Joes

Post by lhacbigfan »

What happened at the end of this game? From the Facebook feed it looks like St Joe’s got fouled up 1 with 0.1 left on the clock and then somehow got a Technical called on them? And then Harmony gets the ball and throws an inbounds pass from mid court and puts it in at the buzzer. But there’s no way he got it off from the looks of it, as it would have to be a quick tip. They count it and Harmony wins. That’s what I gathered from not great video, but was anyone there to see this? Seemed very bizarre.
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: Harmony/St. Joes

Post by HSD6FAN »

Wow! I watched the final 17 seconds and a lot of stuff happened. If someone was there, a lot of questions may be answered.

First, after the steal by St. Joe’s, the Harmony player fouled to stop the clock. St. Joe’s was then hit with a technical. By the looks of the video it has to be on a player. The coach didn’t do anything suspicious. I’m guessing a player started taunting or swearing towards another player. Not being able to see or hear, you have to believe it was pretty extreme to call it with 0.1 seconds. L

Second, the last shot was incorrectly called in my opinion. With 0.1 seconds on the clock, that was a catch and shoot. It was not a tip. The player clearly caught the ball with both hands while falling backward in the air, brought the ball behind his head, and then threw it forward. A tip should be a quick swipe at the ball.

The refs have a tough job, but I think they got this one wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

HSD6FAN wrote:Wow! I watched the final 17 seconds and a lot of stuff happened. If someone was there, a lot of questions may be answered.

First, after the steal by St. Joe’s, the Harmony player fouled to stop the clock. St. Joe’s was then hit with a technical. By the looks of the video it has to be on a player. The coach didn’t do anything suspicious. I’m guessing a player started taunting or swearing towards another player. Not being able to see or hear, you have to believe it was pretty extreme to call it with 0.1 seconds. L

Second, the last shot was incorrectly called in my opinion. With 0.1 seconds on the clock, that was a catch and shoot. It was not a tip. The player clearly caught the ball with both hands while falling backward in the air, brought the ball behind his head, and then threw it forward. A tip should be a quick swipe at the ball.

Okay, after rewatching it several times, I believe it was on the one coach sitting on the bench. Did he get a tech for getting off the bench? The head coach was directing his players to get back so it couldn’t have been on him. It’s definitely an odd call to make at the end of a close game.

upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by upnorth »

The technical was assessed after the St. Joe's bench players came on to the court to celebrate with their teammates after thinking the game was over, but there was either 0.2 or 0.1 left on the clock.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

That makes it a legit call by the official. Maybe unfortunate on the losing side, but thats basketball. I'd be anxious to see how good this Owls team and Bracken is against Portage.
It ain't over until it's over.
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

HSD6FAN wrote: February 25th, 2023, 12:01 am Wow! I watched the final 17 seconds and a lot of stuff happened. If someone was there, a lot of questions may be answered.

Which part im curious
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

Wrasslerfan wrote:
HSD6FAN wrote: February 25th, 2023, 12:01 am Wow! I watched the final 17 seconds and a lot of stuff happened. If someone was there, a lot of questions may be answered.

Which part im curious
The part they got wrong? I think the final shot should have been waved off. By the definition of the rule, the kid controlled the ball and shot it. Can’t happen in 0.1 seconds.

Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

HSD6FAN wrote: February 25th, 2023, 6:38 pm
Wrasslerfan wrote:

Which part im curious
The part they got wrong? I think the final shot should have been waved off. By the definition of the rule, the kid controlled the ball and shot it. Can’t happen in 0.1 seconds.

Ok thanks for the clarification
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
lhacbigfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by lhacbigfan »

That’s tough to call a tech there. But I guess the right call. The bad part as people have said, the last bucket should not have counted, that was not a tap in. Brutal way to lose in the playoffs.
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

lhacbigfan wrote:That’s tough to call a tech there. But I guess the right call. The bad part as people have said, the last bucket should not have counted, that was not a tap in. Brutal way to lose in the playoffs.
I also agree the refs should not have called a tech at that point. However, not being at the game it’s hard to understand how many warnings and how bad the infraction was with the players coming onto the court.

The final shot though was a missed call. It’s unfortunate to lose a game with those calls, but it is even more painful knowing it takes you out of the district final.